Shure M55EM any diff to the M55E

the thin end of the wedge
triacon
United States of America

Shure M55EM any diff to the M55E

Post by triacon » 21 Jan 2020 11:33

Is the tracking force weight different, or are they actually the same cartridge?
I have the M55EM and am ordering a JICO stylus for it. The stylus says up to 2.5 grams but I thought the cartridge data shows 2 grams as the high end. Perhaps JICO info is a typo...

Any help would be appreciated

Also, when setting the VTA/SRA i guess the tonearm and or cartridge bottom should start out parallel to the record or platter...

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: Shure M55EM any diff to the M55E

Post by BMRR » 21 Jan 2020 14:53

The tracking force is the same for both the M55E and M55EM.

Aftermarket styli often require a different tracking force than OEM styli.

Yes, the bottom of the cart should be parallel to the record surface.

triacon
United States of America

Post by triacon » 21 Jan 2020 16:53

so, are they the same cartridge? or does the M at the end of M55EM tell you something?

when inspecting my stylus, it looks like the metal cantilever is NOT centered. seems like it favors the left or inner groove when looking at it from the front. will be nice to compare with a brand new stylus... also wondering if the old one has restricted or relaxed performance with the rubber parts at the joint...

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 21 Jan 2020 17:11

As far as I can tell, the M55E and M55EM are internally identical and both shipped with the same N55E stylus. I'm not exactly sure what the latter M stands for but it was probably something minor. Sometimes if a turntable manufacturer chose a Shure cartridge to be included with their turntables, Shure would add an additional letter or number to the cartridge name. For example, when Zenith chose the M74C for one of their turntable models (and purchased thousands of them in bulk), Shure printed M74CZ on the label; the Z is for Zenith. So in theory it's possible that the latter M in M55EM might stand for Magnavox or Marantz. Just a wild guess.

Erin1

Post by Erin1 » 23 Jan 2020 02:48

I have a brown M55E and an M55EM with black body.

The EM has audibly lower distortion and tighter bass.

The 55E has wooly bass.

It could just be manufacturing tolerances, but they sound so different to my ears that I'm going to say they are a different revision.

Stylus are fully interchangeable between them.

Great cartridge if you can find a perfect stylus.

triacon
United States of America

Post by triacon » 24 Jan 2020 13:13

I should be getting the JICO replacement stylus by tomorrow. It's the one sold by lptunes.com for 39.99...
will be good to compare it to my original and decide to swap it out of just keep the "new" one as backup...
Thanks for the info, thought there would be more info, perhaps others will have something to say.

Erin1, what did you decide on for stylus for the M55EM?