Old Newbie needs some Cartridge help...please

the thin end of the wedge
splat55
United States of America

Old Newbie needs some Cartridge help...please

Post by splat55 » 17 Jan 2020 20:42

Hi people,
First, I just wanna introduce myself...as I couldn't find a spot on the home page to do so. I'm Brian....an older newbie. Been here a number of times and read many posts and such....trying to educate myself as it's been nearly 30 years since I have really been into having a sound system....Had all the parts, sold them some years ago and I am just now trying to put something together again....at almost 65 years old. Bought my first system in 1975 at a " Pacific Stereo " (remember those? ) store in Isla Vista, CA....had it until about 15 years ago, tucked away in the rafters...then sold it. Anyway, hi to all.
My issue is this....I've read a bunch of stuff here on tonearms and cartridges....and I am more than confused. I just pulled down a TT from the rafters I'd forgotten I had for the most part. It's a Kenwood KD 5070. Not sure how much I used it years ago...but it needs some work and I have been cleaning it up and getting ready to pull it apart just to remove old grease and re-lube.
I started cleaning and noticed that the needle basically has no protruding point...to lay in the grooves....just the arm of the needle itself. I apologize if I am not using the right lingo. Anyway, the fact that nothing is there is probably why it went up in the rafters years ago.
And the cartridge and stylus I am not totally sure is even correct for my TT. I wanna purchase something that will work but I wanna be sure that what's in it as far as cartridge is correct, and if so if I can buy either the same, or better stylus for the cartridge or if I need to buy a complete new cartridge.
What's in it now ( and I have included some pics) is an Audio Technica. I loosened the screws that hold the cartridge in so I could see the top of the cartridge and it basically shows that AT name again and the # 6006.
Some of my confusion is whether or not this is a " P " style or " 1/2 " style arm....since I am not sure of the difference of either.
If any of you could give me some education, maybe tell me what I have as far and the mount, if I can get away with a stylus....and if so, some recommendations....and same if I need a whole new cartridge. Again, this one mounts in fine, but still not sure if it's what should be there. I don't want to spend bazillions on something new......because I want to see if I can get the TT totally operational, but I also don't wanna buy a $12.95 unit either.....cause if I like the turntable, I can upgrade later.
Anyway, any help is greatly appreciated and thanks for taking the time to read my whole post....Oh, and hoping I posted the pics correctly.
Attachments
Cartridge 4.jpg
(63.23 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
Cartridge 3.jpg
(96.73999999999999 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
Cartridge 2.jpg
(62.74 KiB) Downloaded 107 times

patient_ot
long player
long player

Re: Old Newbie needs some Cartridge help...please

Post by patient_ot » 17 Jan 2020 21:05

That is a p-mount cart with an adapter to make it fit on a 1/2'' mount headshell. That cart was a lower -mid end model from AT from the time. I think you can use some of the newer AT p-mount styli on that cart, but I'm not 100% sure since I don't use AT p-mounts. Someone will chime in with a definitive answer.

Your Kenwood looks like a nice deck.

Collux
Australia

Post by Collux » 17 Jan 2020 21:31

splat55
United States of America

Post by splat55 » 17 Jan 2020 21:45

Thanks for the answers and info thus far guys. I did have that info from the library....but even the manual and service manual I DLed didn't say which mount the tonearm used. I think I have that part kinda figured out now. But, what part of that cartridge is that adapter? So, if I were to order/buy a replacement stylus, I would be buying one for a p-mount? Is that correct? Or, if buying a complete cartridge, I would be buying a 1/2" style because that's what the arm is? I am slowly starting to get this.

Collux
Australia

Post by Collux » 17 Jan 2020 21:54

splat55 wrote:
17 Jan 2020 21:45
I would be buying one for a p-mount? Is that correct? Or, if buying a complete cartridge, I would be buying a 1/2" style because that's what the arm is?
Yes.

(The adapter is the part with the Bl/Wh & Rd/Gn wires connected)
Last edited by Collux on 17 Jan 2020 21:57, edited 1 time in total.

splat55
United States of America

Post by splat55 » 17 Jan 2020 21:56

Okay, so those stylus's that those links are for, those are all workable with my cartridge. Thank you for that. Another question....but, am I taking a chance buying a stylus....I mean, the cart has got to be pretty old itself....just a thought. Hey, and thanks for compliments on the TT......I hope I can bring it back to life.

Collux
Australia

Post by Collux » 17 Jan 2020 22:00

You can check the cart coils Bl/Wh & Rd/Gn for continuity using a digital multimeter.
Even after all these years, it's likely the cart is still working fine.

wolfie62
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by wolfie62 » 17 Jan 2020 22:12

If you take the screw out at the back of the cartridge, then you can "unplug" the cartridge. Thus, P-Mount. What is left screwed on to your headshell with 2 screws is the P-Mount adapter. Most cartridges today are the "normal", 2 screw, 1/2" separation-between-the-screws, 1/2" mount cartridges (or pickups as they used to be called.).

Back when you bought your cartridge, Linear Tracking turntables were all the rage, as were P-Mount tonearms, and so were P-Mount cartridges that used a "universal" adapter, as your cartridge has. It would fit regular turntables and the linear tracking tables.

splat55
United States of America

Post by splat55 » 17 Jan 2020 22:13

Thanks Collux and patient_ot. So I'm clear...now having looked at the links you sent....pretty much if a cartridge is mounted by screws....and has 4 posts for the wires to connect to, then that is a 1/2" mount....and that type of cartridge is what my tonearm is really designed for. The other types...that have posts that plug in to the tonearm are either a " P " or universal type mount. Are there any 1/2" mount cartridges combos that you would recommend that would be adequate to start with, but not so costly that I'd be out much $$ if I found other problems with the TT?

splat55
United States of America

Post by splat55 » 17 Jan 2020 22:18

wolfie62 wrote:
17 Jan 2020 22:12
If you take the screw out at the back of the cartridge, then you can "unplug" the cartridge. Thus, P-Mount. What is left screwed on to your headshell with 2 screws is the P-Mount adapter. Most cartridges today are the "normal", 2 screw, 1/2" separation-between-the-screws, 1/2" mount cartridges (or pickups as they used to be called.).

Back when you bought your cartridge, Linear Tracking turntables were all the rage, as were P-Mount tonearms, and so were P-Mount cartridges that used a "universal" adapter, as your cartridge has. It would fit regular turntables and the linear tracking tables.
Hey, thanks man.....I think I have it now...as far as being able to identify the 2 mounts.....I guess I just need to decide if I get a stylus for the cartridge in the tonearm now.....or replace the cartridge altogether and go back to the style it was designed for.

wolfie62
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by wolfie62 » 17 Jan 2020 23:25

Welp, there are some quite good inexpensive cartridges to be had from Audio Technics, less than $50. Sky’s the limit after that! Since I’m a fan of vintage carts, there are many others in here who can recommend from personal experience some new carts.

The AT VM95 and 3600 are 2 new carts to start your considerations.

patient_ot
long player
long player

Post by patient_ot » 18 Jan 2020 00:02

If you are just getting back into vinyl and want to get the turntable going...stick with something cheap. You can always upgrade the cart later. The 213-SE from VOM would be the one I would personally buy, if this were my turntable. $33 is a good price to get your TT going again. Pop that stylus on the existing cartridge. Get yourself a $10 digital VTF scale to set the VTF.

splat55
United States of America

Post by splat55 » 18 Jan 2020 01:30

Hey, thanks all of you for the info.....I greatly appreciate all your input. Man, there are so many choices. I think I am going to follow just about everyone's advice here. I am going to test the leads on the existing cartridge to be sure the cartridge is working and if so, get a stylus for it and get the tonearm set.... just to get an idea of the sound. One of you posted about liking the vintage carts...and this one has to be fairly old so I'd like to get some sound out of it.... Then, I may also get one of the AT carts suggested here as well....and am doing some reading on those and couple others. I realize that with each cart, I will have to reset the arm for that particular cart....but I am hoping once I have the hang of it, maybe switching them out occasionally won't be all that time consuming. I am sure most of my vinyl 30 years and older...and I'm sure I have a couple over 50 years. I know I still have a Stones 12 X 5 in mono that I stole from my sister back around '66 or '67....hey, couldn't help it...she didn't listened to them. I haven't bought an album I bet in 30 years or so.
Anyway, 1 last question. I plan on buying an inexpensive scale for weighing and setting tonearm/cartridge to spec....but I've read a little about " angle"...….and those alignment tools. Should I get one at the same time I get a scale? And, it that something I will need to do.....and something, as a novice I will be capable of? Do all carts need to be aligned or angled? I'm willing to do it, just wondering how technical it gets at that point.

AsOriginallyRecorded
long player
long player
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 18 Jan 2020 02:57

Patient_ot brings up an important point in that you can simply get a new stylus for your existing p-mount, and enjoy a pleasant musical experience as you re-enter the vinyl music experience. There are still some very good p-mount cartridges available, which you can readily mount to the adapter if you chose. There are also lots of choices of 1/2 inch cartridges available as well, but be aware that mounting one in place of the p-mount/universal cartridge will require a sometimes challenging changeover of electrical connections and alignment of the cartridge. Surprised nobody bothered to mention this to a "newbie". Alternately, there are many good options available for pre-mounted standard/1/2 inch cartridges on headshells, which are in effect, also plug and play options, all at a reasonable price. This would allow you to have multiple cartridge options in the future. Enjoy the experience, the music and welcome..... 8) =D>

splat55
United States of America

Post by splat55 » 18 Jan 2020 04:00

AsOriginallyRecorded wrote:
18 Jan 2020 02:57
Patient_ot brings up an important point in that you can simply get a new stylus for your existing p-mount, and enjoy a pleasant musical experience as you re-enter the vinyl music experience. There are still some very good p-mount cartridges available, which you can readily mount to the adapter if you chose. There are also lots of choices of 1/2 inch cartridges available as well, but be aware that mounting one in place of the p-mount/universal cartridge will require a sometimes challenging changeover of electrical connections and alignment of the cartridge. Surprised nobody bothered to mention this to a "newbie". Alternately, there are many good options available for pre-mounted standard/1/2 inch cartridges on headshells, which are in effect, also plug and play options, all at a reasonable price. This would allow you to have multiple cartridge options in the future. Enjoy the experience, the music and welcome..... 8) =D>
Hey AsOriginallyRecorded, Thank you for your input.....I have decided to go with a stylus replacement for the cart that's in the tonearm now. It's not much of an investment and I'd kinda like to hear the old setup. I have removed and replaced a cart or 2 40 years ago.....but I don't remember doing any alignment. Question, to read the model # of the cart that is in the tonearm, I had to loosen the screws to drop it....naturally. Will I have to realign when I replace the stylus and then reset the cart where it should be in the head? This alignment thing I am not at all familiar with. I realize there is a gauge I need to purchase....but how difficult is it? I also like the idea of buying a cart in a pre-mounted headshell.....maybe after I install the new stylus and find the turntable working well.