How do you clean the record cleaner?

the thin end of the wedge
howardpgh
United States of America

How do you clean the record cleaner?

Post by howardpgh » 16 Jan 2020 21:36

I have an Audioquest Carbon fiber brush to dust off the records before playing them. After each use I flip that plastic part back and forth to clean the bristles. Ive had this thing for a while and it is starting to get linty looking.

patient_ot
long player
long player

Re: How do you clean the record cleaner?

Post by patient_ot » 16 Jan 2020 22:11

IME, eventually those brushes get filthy and need to be tossed. They are cheap things, and most of them come out the same factories in China, so no need to spend a lot on a new one. If your brush is getting nasty quickly - time to upgrade your record cleaning regimen. Brushes like that don't really clean, only do very surface level dusting.

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 16 Jan 2020 23:22

I wash mine out in the kitchen sink with dish detergent. Rinse very well after and let air dry overnight. If the fibres aren't worn out they will pop back to life.

bhuston
United States of America

Post by bhuston » 18 Jan 2020 17:26

I have an original Discwasher brush, don't know it yours is the same. I clean mine by first just getting it quite wet with some distilled water. Then press the brush down on a few paper towels-just press and release. Then move the brush next to that stain and repeat until the water stops coming out. Repeat. I don't use chemicals to clean it, just remove the old cleaner with water leaching it to the towels. Eventually, it will stop being yellow, and you're done. Allow it to dry and then check your fibers. If they're not totally damaged, it should be reusable.