Mikigg14
Italy

Supex SD-900 MK-IV suggestions

Post by Mikigg14 » 11 Jan 2020 21:47

27F5317D-C8CF-42A5-9A8E-B435A36908E3.jpeg
Supex SD-900 MK-IV
(208.08 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
Good evening,
I took a Supex SD-900 MK-IV in excellent condition, with original box and accessories, but unfortunately without the manual sheet.
I have a doubt regarding the reading weight: I found two very different data on the net. Those who write 1.0/1.5 grams and those who write 2.0. Do you have experience with this cartridge, what weight do you use? who of you uses it also uses the weight supplied with the cartridge? thank you all
Best Regards

totem
Canada

Re: Supex SD-900 MK-IV suggestions

Post by totem » 12 Jan 2020 18:48

Unfortunately given the age of the cartridge its suspension will most likely have changed from its original
condition.

Your best option would be to lower to the record surface and observe the SRA, and go from there.

Mikigg14
Italy

Post by Mikigg14 » 12 Jan 2020 23:20

Hi Totem,
thanks for the reply; I would say that the cartridge works very well, also because it is a strange case, but it was stored in a drawer of the seller, closed and not touched for years. One of the rare cases of almost NOS. My doubt concerns the weight of reading because I found different data on the net between them. There is a good difference between 1 gram and 2 and I would like to avoid ruining it. But above all I would like to use it to the best of its performance.
Thanks
Best Regards

robertofabbrini

Post by robertofabbrini » 13 Jan 2020 16:05

Hi Mikigg14, I bought my SD900 mkIV in 1986 but retipped by Torlai in 2002.

I still have the original data sheet:

- Tracking force 2.0 gr +/- 0.2
- Output V. (1 Khz) 0.2 V.
- Impedance 2 Ohm (1Khz)
- Load Resistance >20 Ohm
- Compliance (100Hz) 8.5

Mikigg14
Italy

Post by Mikigg14 » 13 Jan 2020 18:28

Ciao Roberto
thank you very much for the data provided. I had suspected that it was better to stay on the 2 grams, because the 1/ 1.5 sounded a little too light.
Do you also use the weight provided in the box?
I find it to be an excellent cartridge, the only thing that with the same set up, compared to 103, recreates a sound slightly positioned at the top. Did you have the same feeling?
Thank you
Regards

robertofabbrini

Post by robertofabbrini » 14 Jan 2020 20:59

I use the Supex with my Alphason Delta and a Fidelity Research FR54. The Delta tonearm is a little bit too light and better matched with the weight provided. The FR54 is heavier. The 103 is more fleshy but the 900 mkIV must be perfect matched with the phono stage! If not, it could sound sharp and ungraceful.

The best match was with the Viva F1 phono stage (loaned): simply amazing! Ok, the Viva is much more expensive and not at the same level but only then I fully realized such a wonderful cartridge the Supex is! Compared to the Lyra Kleos (!) and with the Viva F1 as MC phono premplifier, is a little more grainy, less neutral and the trasparency is not at the same level but with an unexpected PRAT and soundstage. More broadly, not too far from the Lyra.
In some (many?) cases, I prefer the colours and the character of the Supex! Great cartridge!
IMHO

robertofabbrini

Post by robertofabbrini » 14 Jan 2020 21:07

Mikigg14 wrote:
13 Jan 2020 18:28
with the same set up, compared to 103, recreates a sound slightly positioned at the top.
Yes, you are right but, as said, Denon 103 and Supex 900 mkIV needs different set up.

Mikigg14
Italy

Post by Mikigg14 » 14 Jan 2020 22:37

Hello Roberto,
I use the same pre Phono the Mark Levinson JC-1AC and curiously in the instructions it uses 4 different cartridges as reference.
The Denon DL 103S, the Supex SD 900e, the Orrofon SL 1511 and the FR-1 Mk2. You can adjust the gain, resonance compensation and a third adjustment inside with a series of switches that I honestly don't understand how to do it, given that the manual indicates output values ​​but I don't understand where to put my hand. I think they are small screw selectors, but since there are no references, it is difficult to adjust them by ear.
The ML offers wonderful performances. Clearly my cartridges are not exactly those indicated, but from the specifications they come close enough.
To date I begin to prefer the Supex to the Denon, I find it quieter, slightly less euphonic and perhaps for this reason more balanced in the reconstruction.
The Denon 103 seems to be a bit more grainy at the top than the more balanced and clear Supex.
However, I will continue to test it and improve the tuning with my prephono and turntables because I think it is really worth it.
Many thanks for the feedback
Regards

jdubbie

Post by jdubbie » 15 Jan 2020 03:48

Mikigg14 wrote:
12 Jan 2020 23:20
Hi Totem,
thanks for the reply; I would say that the cartridge works very well, also because it is a strange case, but it was stored in a drawer of the seller, closed and not touched for years. One of the rare cases of almost NOS. My doubt concerns the weight of reading because I found different data on the net between them. There is a good difference between 1 gram and 2 and I would like to avoid ruining it. But above all I would like to use it to the best of its performance.
Thanks
Best Regards
I bought a Supex 900 from a friend probably around 1990 along with a Marcof PP1 MC pre-amp. It tracks everything well at 2g VTF. I wasn't completely happy with it until I installed it on a Dual 1019 -- not an easy task because of the 1019 cartridge carrier and the small pins of the cartridge. My friend sold it because he felt it was too "hot" on his system, which included a nice Linn LP12 table, PS Audio amp, and Thiel speakers of some sort. I suspected it was the Thiel speakers which were hot and, whether those suspicions are right or not, I've found the Supex 900 simply wonderful among my gear. The Dual 1019 arm is an unexpectedly nice match to it and I know that table well and can keep it working well and quietly. I think you are very fortunate to have found a NOS example. Congratulations!

jdubbie

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 15 Jan 2020 05:38

If you find the bass a bit thin, with any cartridge, try adding mass to the headshell, and reset the VTF.

Cheers,
Alec

Mikigg14
Italy

Post by Mikigg14 » 15 Jan 2020 13:58

hello Jdubbie

it was a stroke of luck, because open the drawer I say to the seller: what is that box?
he answers; but it's been here for years, a friend had brought it back as soon as it was taken ... and then the word as a great friend: take it so you use it !
In short, with original box, accessories, cleaning kit and plastic bag with weight, screws and leadwires.
Fortunately supplied, because the pins of the audio-technical leadwires that I had on the shell were too large ! The attack of the Supex is almost from microsurgery ....
Last night with a little patience I started to adjust the pre phono better and the sound that comes out is truly wonderful.
Thank
Regards

Mikigg14
Italy

Post by Mikigg14 » 15 Jan 2020 14:05

Hi Alec

many thanks for the suggestion.
So if I understand correctly, in any case by increasing the mass of the cartridge, and the headshell, adding a weight, regardless of the reading weight that remains the same recommended by the manufacturer, will the bass be more pronounced?
Thanks
Regards

jdubbie

Post by jdubbie » 15 Jan 2020 15:18

Mikigg14 wrote:
15 Jan 2020 13:58
hello Jdubbie

it was a stroke of luck, because open the drawer I say to the seller: what is that box?
he answers; but it's been here for years, a friend had brought it back as soon as it was taken ... and then the word as a great friend: take it so you use it !
In short, with original box, accessories, cleaning kit and plastic bag with weight, screws and leadwires.
Fortunately supplied, because the pins of the audio-technical leadwires that I had on the shell were too large ! The attack of the Supex is almost from microsurgery ....
Last night with a little patience I started to adjust the pre phono better and the sound that comes out is truly wonderful.
Thank
Regards
You have a great friend indeed! Yes, the pins are so terribly tiny. I had to pinch the sleeves of the Dual cartridge carrier wires quite a lot to assure adequate contact with the pins. I am just horrible at experimenting with this and that (like most of us I suppose), but the table and setup I have with my Supex stays as it is. I should have it re-tipped at some point, but I don't have the desire. I tend to goof around more with MM carts. The Supex is my reference for everything. It seems to have good synergy with the rest of my gear, especially the Marcof head amp.

Best wishes,
jdubbie