An admonition to dig deeper

the thin end of the wedge
plyscds
United States of America

An admonition to dig deeper

Post by plyscds » 13 Dec 2019 15:13

In this morning's e-mail I received a warning of doom from my favorite stylus provider that 2020 stylus prices "will" or "may" see substantial price increases. This is supposedly linked to the increased interest in vinyl over digital. Don't you now miss the good old days when all you had to spend was the equivalent of a new Shure V-15 cartridge on a playback box that would equal or surpass the performance of a turntable/cartridge combination costing much more (according to that industry's claims)?

Well, if this is so, I'm ready. I've been collecting cartridges, styli, and record players for the past decade and I'm in better shape than I was when vinyl support dried up the first time in the '90s. To quote Arthur Dent, lying in front of a bulldozer and protecting his home from demolition..., "I'm game - we'll see who rusts first."

Roberto C2H3
long player
long player
Argentina

Re: An admonition to dig deeper

Post by Roberto C2H3 » 13 Dec 2019 17:14

plyscds wrote:
13 Dec 2019 15:13
In this morning's e-mail I received a warning of doom from my favorite stylus provider that 2020 stylus prices "will" or "may" see substantial price increases. This is supposedly linked to the increased interest in vinyl over digital. Don't you now miss the good old days when all you had to spend was the equivalent of a new Shure V-15 cartridge on a playback box that would equal or surpass the performance of a turntable/cartridge combination costing much more (according to that industry's claims)?

Well, if this is so, I'm ready. I've been collecting cartridges, styli, and record players for the past decade and I'm in better shape than I was when vinyl support dried up the first time in the '90s. To quote Arthur Dent, lying in front of a bulldozer and protecting his home from demolition..., "I'm game - we'll see who rusts first."
+ 1 on the above ! I have enough styli and cartridges stocked away to last me well into the next twenty years, that is, if I live that long... :shock:

dahoo
China

Post by dahoo » 14 Dec 2019 02:48

are you talking about the promotion email sent by turntableneedles.com?
i got enough replacement styli to last at least 8000 hours. unless i get tired of any, will I ?

Erin1

Post by Erin1 » 14 Dec 2019 11:59

plyscds wrote:
13 Dec 2019 15:13
In this morning's e-mail I received a warning of doom from my favorite stylus provider that 2020 stylus prices "will" or "may" see substantial price increases. This is supposedly linked to the increased interest in vinyl over digital.
Price gouging the consumer - (because they think they can)

Increased sales are actually meant to bring the prices down, not up.

I'll watch the "interest" evaporate in 2020 😉

Suddenly the prices will come back down.
😆

Pauw
Netherlands

Post by Pauw » 14 Dec 2019 12:14

+1

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 14 Dec 2019 14:24

I haven't seen the email from TTN (I'm a TTN customer but not on their mailing list, apparently), but in their defense, prices for cartridges and styli have been steadily rising over the past few years, in spite of (or because of?) the vinyl revival, and if TTN is privy to another round of price hikes, I appreciate the heads-up. Like some of you, I'm a cartridge/stylus hoarder and I have enough of both to last me several lifetimes, but if I didn't, I'd be grateful for the opportunity to stock up before a big price increase.

plyscds
United States of America

Post by plyscds » 14 Dec 2019 16:00

Its not only stereo-related prices going up - everything is. Our ill-advised trade war with the world has made lots of things more expensive. If you take your better halves shoe or clothing shopping... well... enough said. :(

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 14 Dec 2019 16:19

I recently bought a Bliss stylus from TTN. And only because they had a holiday sale. They'd replied to my query that Bliss is as good as Jico. I'd always wanted to try to get the best out of my Stanton 981 and this sale and savings from the 20 dollar shipping Jico requires made it so. Glad I beat the price increase. It is as the popular tenet of econ 101 is, (what the market will bear). And that always translate into coming out of the hide of the consumer. My business of high highfalutin styli is done.

wolfie62
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by wolfie62 » 15 Dec 2019 12:25

TTN is the high price leader. They have jacked their prices up substantially over the last 5 years. TTN’s Bliss brand is the same as what you used to buy as EVG Japan styli.

I got the email promoting buying now before they (TTN) jack their prices yet again.

They have the right to jack up prices, if they want. I have the right to buy elsewhere.

I have more than 78 carts, 10 turntables. I roll carts a lot, often changing headshells/carts 3 times per listening session. I have a lot of styli, but I’m hoping that some of the aftermarket providers will get better and more competitive at offering closer to original designs. I enjoy the differences among carts; raising prices makes it harder to enjoy variety.

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 15 Dec 2019 16:02

wolfie62 wrote:
15 Dec 2019 12:25
TTN’s Bliss brand is the same as what you used to buy as EVG Japan styli.
I looked around on forums enough to not come to any definitive conclusion. It all amounts to conjecture by all us bozo's on the bus. That is probably the intent though by this cartel of mfg's and distributors. It still has to be a very small market even with the increase of interest in vinyl. And they determine that hey, lets see what the market will do with a little bump in the price. Will my Bliss provide what it's trademark name implies? I'll find out today. It may be about the same as the VM pfanstiehl stylus I'd bought for under 30 bucks. I found this hocus pocus as well with Grado and their Prestige cartridges using the same bonded elliptical styli through out the line. The line of understanding gets fuzzy though with a notion as to what constitutes the difference of quality in the outlay of near double from a blue to a gold replacement stylus. Anyway, I paid the cost just to find out if a Bliss bonded shibata is 5 times worth what a 2x7 pfanstiehl is. Buying a Jico would have made it 7 times as much. Waiting apparently will just make the numerator expand.

wolfie62
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by wolfie62 » 15 Dec 2019 20:14

rewfew wrote:
15 Dec 2019 16:02
wolfie62 wrote:
TTN’s Bliss brand is the same as what you used to buy as EVG Japan styli.
I looked around on forums enough to not come to any definitive conclusion. It all amounts to conjecture by all us bozo's on the bus.
If I purchased 1 EVG Japan Stylus, then I bought the same model number Bliss stylus from TTN, and looked at them carefully, and found them both to be identical, and they both perform identically, I would call that an interesting coincidence.

If I made the same comparison with a second stylus, different model number, and they were also identical in every way, I’d call that interesting.

If I made a third comparison with a third stylus, again a different model number, and the results were identical, I’d call that a trend.

I’m up to six now. The last was a Hyper elliptical stylus for the Shure M97HE. There is available an HE stylus, EVG Japan, from VOM, and one available from TTN. Not available from LPG (VL is though). I bought the TTN Bliss first, then the EVG Japan unit. Again, both are identical in every way. But EVG can’t sell them anymore. TTN can, but with a near 100-200% markup. I’d call that a certainty.
Last edited by wolfie62 on 15 Dec 2019 20:31, edited 1 time in total.

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 15 Dec 2019 20:21

I'm not sure how TTN is the villain here. EVG stopped selling Japanese styli (and switched to the Swiss manufacturer that Pfanstiehl uses) because JICO raised their prices and EVG wanted to still be able to compete with Pfanstiehl, which they would not have been able to do with JICO's new prices.

TTN gets their Japanese styli from JICO just like EVG used to do. But instead of no longer selling Japanese styli, TTN will continue to sell them — and, for obvious reasons, they will have to pass JICO's price increases on to the consumer. The only alternative would be for TTN to sell them at a loss, which would only serve to put themselves out of business, which helps no one except maybe LPGear/LPTunes.

wolfie62
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by wolfie62 » 15 Dec 2019 20:39

But LPG/LPT also sells Jico styli.

My point was that while EVG Japan styli are/were still available, they are the exact same as what TTN sells.

So, to me it is/was no rumor. EVG Japan and TTN were/are the same styli, while inventory lasts.

TTN didn’t like being undersold.

As EVG Japan inventory exhausted, I wound up buying TTN stock. But now I’ve pretty much gone to LPG for styli, with a few Pfanstiehl and EVG Swiss thrown in, depending on the build quality.

For ADC replacement styli, I won’t buy another Pfanstiehl or EVG Swiss unit. Terrible quality. LPG units compare pretty well to the original ADC Diasa bonded units.

billshurv
long player
long player

Post by billshurv » 15 Dec 2019 21:51

wolfie62 wrote:

I have more than 78 carts, 10 turntables. I roll carts a lot, often changing headshells/carts 3 times per listening session.
I'm the other extreme and used the same cartridge for 20 years. Now I have several, but only change every 6 months or so. It's great that this hobby allows everyone to enjoy things the way they want to.

wolfie62
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by wolfie62 » 15 Dec 2019 22:39

I still have my first cartridge from 1981, and my 2nd from 1998. That would be the NAD 9300 from 1981 and the Shure Realistic V15-RS from 1998.

In 2001 I bought a Shure M97xE, and in 2007 a Goldring Electra.

It’s been over the last 5 years I’ve really expanded out, trying carts I remember reading about or hearing about from 1981-2000.

About 2 hours ago I put on an AcuTex M310 II. Dead ringer for the Shure M97xE, sonically.