Latest Pfanstiehl catalogue

the thin end of the wedge
Collux
Australia

Latest Pfanstiehl catalogue

Post by Collux » 06 Dec 2019 09:53

Yesterday I received in the post, my requested 92 page catalogue.
-much useful information is to be found in the six sections.
I've attached the cover and intro pages:
Attachments
1_Pfanstiehl-page-001.jpg
(169.98 KiB) Downloaded 285 times
2_Pfanstiehl-page-001.jpg
(224.2 KiB) Downloaded 280 times
3_Pfanstiehl-page-001.jpg
(163.37 KiB) Downloaded 281 times
4_Pfanstiehl-page-001.jpg
(163.45 KiB) Downloaded 280 times

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: Latest Pfanstiehl catalogue

Post by BMRR » 06 Dec 2019 15:53

Thanks for posting this!

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 06 Dec 2019 17:16

Collux, can you let us know how to order this or download in pdf please?

Collux
Australia

Post by Collux » 06 Dec 2019 17:37

It's not available in electronic form as far as I know.
Contact Scott Webster (Needles & Cartridges) : lkg-ndlz@t6b.com
-this same email address is shown in the last image posted above.

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 06 Dec 2019 20:26

Thank you Collux.

wolfie62
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by wolfie62 » 06 Dec 2019 20:50

Thank you very much Collux! Great info!

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 07 Dec 2019 16:41

I'll admit I laughed and/or rolled my eyes at some of the things they wrote in that letter to customers.

"Many of the needles offered by our competitors are conical diamonds even though they claim to be elliptical" — That is a serious allegation. How many is "many?" Which competitors do you suppose they are referring to? It's not like there are a lot of other companies manufacturing aftermarket magnetic styli. It's pretty much just Pfanstiehl, JICO, and possibly Chuo Denshi and Nagaoka. (Many of those are repackaged and sold under different brands, of course.) I own several dozen styli made by JICO and I haven't yet come across one that was a conical pretending to be an elliptical.

"Each is tested for fit in the original cartridge and must meet performance standards that rival the originals" — They must be joking! In addition to the dozens of JICO styli I own, I've also owned or used dozens of Pfanstiehl styli and there are very few of them whose performance "rivals the originals"; most of them required significantly more VTF in order to track properly; some of them had such soft suspensions that they bottomed out at VTFs higher than 1g; MANY of them had cantilevers and/or diamonds that were crooked; and some of them didn't even fit properly inside the cartridge (too loose). Then there's the issue of Pfanstiehl putting magnets on the cantilevers of moving iron / induced magnet styli which are NOT supposed to have magnets on the cantilevers. Sometimes they're able to get away with this without severe problems (Ortofon styli); other times the resulting performance/audio quality is horrendous (ADC styli, Empire styli, Stanton/Pickering styli).

And let's talk about quality control. Everyone knows that Pfanstiehl's quality control could best be described as "hit or miss." How much testing do they actually do, if any? A Pfanstiehl distributor once told me that close to half of the Pfanstiehl styli he sells are returned as defective.

"We offer more variations than anyone else in the business" — I'm not sure how they're defining that but I find it hard to believe. For example, Pfanstiehl often takes one stylus assembly and packages it under several different part numbers because the stylus will technically fit in several different cartridge bodies, but that's not offering more variations, that's just marketing.

"We also supply magnetic cartridges from Audio-Technica, complete with the factory supplied stylus, not a cheaper imitation stylus" — I had to laugh at this because they are in the business of making "cheaper imitation stylus" and spent the previous paragraphs saying how good their "cheaper imitation stylus" are but seem to scoff at the idea in this line.

1200y3
long player
long player

Post by 1200y3 » 07 Dec 2019 19:25

I am aware that over the years generic styli manufacturers used a mess of different styli for a certain part number, but the last lot of styli I bought were excellent and consistent. (Thin black plastic package, Swiss made, red stylus glue, properly spec'd.) They could not be compared with the originals if the originals aren't being made. And I have to admit that the actual bonded stylus did rival that of many I have seen. That might be what they are talking about.

Collux
Australia

Post by Collux » 08 Dec 2019 04:37

The Voice of Music: The Universal Part Number System - "Pfanstiehl®"
https://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/needles ... umber.html

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 08 Dec 2019 15:59

Collux wrote:
08 Dec 2019 04:37
The Voice of Music: The Universal Part Number System - "Pfanstiehl®"
https://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/needles ... umber.html
Funny but that is exactly how Canadians thought of Astatic well into the late 1980's. I still think of most replacements for ceramic and crystal cartridges by common Astatic numbers including the numbers for various tip configurations.

Erin1

Post by Erin1 » 10 Dec 2019 23:25

BMRR wrote:
07 Dec 2019 16:41
I'll admit I laughed and/or rolled my eyes at some of the things they wrote in that letter to customers.
My eyebrows raised as I read it.

I agree with your post. I've never had much luck with any aftermarket stylus.

I've completely given up on old cartridges for which I cant source an original stylus.

As I see it AT makes great new cartridges at a very affordable prices.
I have been enjoying their AT3600L for $15, it has no IGD and no other issues whatsoever. So I feel no need to spend even $20 on an aftermarket stylus with various irritating sonic and technical defects.

Rog Beltmann
United States of America

Post by Rog Beltmann » 11 Dec 2019 16:13

I agree Erin. My AT-3600L headshell spends a lot of time in the tonearm due to its overall good performance on all types of music.The carbon graphite cantilever has a very pleasing tone. Another conical that sounds great is the Shure M44G. I purchased one when i learned Shure was getting out of cartridge business. It has a couple of extra millivolts output than the 3600L (6mv.vs 4 mv.)). It's high compliance and tracks extremely good at 1.2 grams.

Erin1

Post by Erin1 » 14 Dec 2019 12:08

Rog Beltmann wrote:
11 Dec 2019 16:13
I agree Erin.
Rog, we are from the same mold.

My other favourite cartridge is the M44 / M55. A great sound. Clear, open, extended and dynamic with walloping bass. 👍

Erin1

Post by Erin1 » 14 Dec 2019 12:17

The AT3600 sounds the same as the AT150MLX. It must be the same generator. I have recordings to prove it.
Obviously the microline has slightly more fine detail, but the difference isn't as big as people may imagine.

The vintage P mount AT122 (also known as realistic RX-1500) is also the same generator as the AT150MLX just without the occ copper coils.