Pre MM and step up transformer; which is more important between the two ??

the thin end of the wedge
Mikigg14
Italy

Pre MM and step up transformer; which is more important between the two ??

Post by Mikigg14 » 30 Nov 2019 23:20

Good evening, I'd like to know, how much a MM pre phono can affect the performance of an external SUT. I use an active step up but I would like to know if a simple Pro-ject MM is enough or in any case the performance of the SUT is mortified if the Phono input is not level. On a sound level, is the work of the SUT or MM more important? what do you think? Thank you very much
Regards

billshurv
long player
long player

Re: Pre MM and step up transformer; which is more important between the two ??

Post by billshurv » 01 Dec 2019 00:23

Both are important as is how they interact. I'm personally not a fan of putting a SUT on a MM stage that was not explicitly designed for that purpose as there is a lot that can go wrong and most people don't have the measurement tools to work out what is happening. But many people have found their own audio nirvana this way.

gofar99
United States of America

Post by gofar99 » 01 Dec 2019 02:32

Hi, I use both stand alone LOMC preamps and MM ones with SUTs. My experience has been that the matching issue with SUTs and MM preamps is actually the matching of the impedance of both to the cartridge. Many individuals think that all LOMC cartridges need to see 100 ohms as a load. This value will usually work, but is often not the best. A good example that I have is a Dynavector 23Karat MR-RS. It has the best response in my system with a load of 200 ohms. This is via either Softone or Silk Audio SUTs with a 1:10 ratio. To make the load correct it is necessary to parallel a resistor with the usual 47K preamp input. In this case a 37K achieves the correct value. (hint see K&K Audio tests on use of SUTs) Some of my other LOMC don't seem to be so particular. With many SUTs offering several step up ratios and when doing the math, the different cartridge loading values because of it, there are many ways to mess up the sound. I personally prefer the SUT/MM preamp combination for its sound. YMMV.

Mikigg14
Italy

Post by Mikigg14 » 01 Dec 2019 23:03

hello,
I also use a step up, but active, and I must say that I tried to attach it with three MM phono inputs and I never had any problems. What I've noticed is that the sound doesn't become particularly different. Of course, every component has its own stamp, but I can't say that with one or the other there are macroscopic differences, so much so as to discard one. What I wonder is if with a MM phono preamp much better than mine, the sound can improve exponentially. For now, in my set up, the active step up has made the difference. And without making me interface problems. I had more difficulty with a Black Cube SE2, excellent, but difficult to adjust in the best way. In my, basically, you can active or remove the cartridge resonance compensation, adjust the gain, and not even at random, on the manual provides the adjustment for the 103, and on. Only foresight, leave it on.
Regards

1200y3
long player
long player

Post by 1200y3 » 04 Dec 2019 00:27

SUT's must match the cartridge before anything else. Transformer manufacturers should have no problems designing them to match a phono preamp. MM phono preamps can be as simple as two transistors, and will always work well.

MC head amps on the other hand are tricky due to the need to amplify such a low level.

As long as you got the right SUT the world is your's when it comes to finding an MM preamp to run it through.

Mikigg14
Italy

Post by Mikigg14 » 04 Dec 2019 00:41

Thanks for the reply, it's what I've seen for now too. Fortunately, my SUT with the 103 goes beautifully. I own the normal, and I'd like to find a 103S, which in the manual is indicated with the various adjustments. I must say that thanks to SUT I started using the turntable again. Thanks
Regards