Ortofon

the thin end of the wedge
nicklaskarlsson81
Sweden

Re: Ortofon

Post by nicklaskarlsson81 » 01 Dec 2019 15:04

I may have made a mistake when I bought the cart. The soundstage is great, but not so much better than the VM540ML. I cant even decide if its better, or just, different. However I have come to the conclusion that its not worth the crackles and pops, so im putting the VM540ML back, and will complain and hope to get either the money back or a new stylus. If not, I will give the cart one more chance when my budget allows me to buy a new stylus.

nicklaskarlsson81
Sweden

Post by nicklaskarlsson81 » 03 Dec 2019 07:31

So the refurbished hifi reseller answered my email where i asked if they had recieved my complaint email. Whats weird is that i got the answer like 1 am!
He answered that they dont answer emails around the clock, especially on a sunday. Well, i sent the email on sunday, you answer like that 1am monday-tuesday night
We sorted that out. He says that the crackle and pops are never because or a broken stylus, you get distortion and mistracking if its worn or Broken. Is this Always the case guys?
I explain that vta is correct since the cart is the same size as original. He then says that some carts and styluses has more crackle and pops than others, and that the csntilever needs a light tonearm.
They leave 3 months warranty for the stuff they sell.

billshurv
long player
long player

Post by billshurv » 03 Dec 2019 11:05

Offer of trying the SuperOM40 is still open if you want to. He is right that a damaged stylus will generally just sound nasty.

raphaelmabo
long player
long player
Sweden

Post by raphaelmabo » 03 Dec 2019 17:13

The VM540 ML is a fully modern cartridge with a modern sound, more open sounding than many of the vintage cartridges from the 70's. To better it, I believe you need to spend a bit more. If you want a sound in the neutral, open camp. If you want a warmer sounding cartridge, then there's plenty of options.

About you having visits from Mr Pop, Crackle and Snap. They like to visit some records and cartridge combinations more often than others. Some cartridges are more sensitive to static electricity in the records than others.

My least sensitive cartridge was the Sumiko Pearl, my most sensitive was the Goldring 2200. I've found my Ortofon OM20 to be in-between those extremes. The Benz MC Silver that I have on now is closer to the OM20, not as dead silent as the Pearl but definately less problems with cracks and pops compared to the Goldring. I've reduced quite much by using an antistatic carbon fibre mat, I've also getting good results by using Simply Analogue deluxe rubber-cork mat.

nicklaskarlsson81
Sweden

Post by nicklaskarlsson81 » 04 Dec 2019 13:24

billshurv wrote:
03 Dec 2019 11:05
Offer of trying the SuperOM40 is still open if you want to. He is right that a damaged stylus will generally just sound nasty.
I see, thats what others have said as well. I dont know about the om40. What if something happens to it in shipping, or if i break it. Also i have to send it back.

nicklaskarlsson81
Sweden

Post by nicklaskarlsson81 » 04 Dec 2019 13:30

raphaelmabo wrote:
03 Dec 2019 17:13
The VM540 ML is a fully modern cartridge with a modern sound, more open sounding than many of the vintage cartridges from the 70's. To better it, I believe you need to spend a bit more. If you want a sound in the neutral, open camp. If you want a warmer sounding cartridge, then there's plenty of options.

About you having visits from Mr Pop, Crackle and Snap. They like to visit some records and cartridge combinations more often than others. Some cartridges are more sensitive to static electricity in the records than others.

My least sensitive cartridge was the Sumiko Pearl, my most sensitive was the Goldring 2200. I've found my Ortofon OM20 to be in-between those extremes. The Benz MC Silver that I have on now is closer to the OM20, not as dead silent as the Pearl but definately less problems with cracks and pops compared to the Goldring. I've reduced quite much by using an antistatic carbon fibre mat, I've also getting good results by using Simply Analogue deluxe rubber-cork mat.
I see. I love my VM540ML. But if you want a vintage cartridge, you have to go even higher? If thats the case, i see no point going for vintage cartridges.

About the pops and mats. I currently have one in Cork/rubber mixture, tonar. Maybe i need to get their antistatic mat, or their Hard acrylic mat. But the Sonab 85s has an aluminium cast platter, so i think i need a Cork/rubber or rubber mat.

billshurv
long player
long player

Post by billshurv » 04 Dec 2019 13:56

It is a risk I am willing to take. It has to get back to me from Norway so you are only a slight detour :)

As for having to send it back, yes but if you don't like it as much as the VM at least you will know and will have saved yourself many SEK.

nicklaskarlsson81
Sweden

Post by nicklaskarlsson81 » 04 Dec 2019 14:20

billshurv wrote:
04 Dec 2019 13:56
It is a risk I am willing to take. It has to get back to me from Norway so you are only a slight detour :)

As for having to send it back, yes but if you don't like it as much as the VM at least you will know and will have saved yourself many SEK.
You dont live in norway?

billshurv
long player
long player

Post by billshurv » 04 Dec 2019 15:28

No, Its on holiday with Dagfinn at the moment.

raphaelmabo
long player
long player
Sweden

Post by raphaelmabo » 04 Dec 2019 15:29

nicklaskarlsson81 wrote:
04 Dec 2019 13:30
About the pops and mats. I currently have one in Cork/rubber mixture, tonar. Maybe i need to get their antistatic mat, or their Hard acrylic mat. But the Sonab 85s has an aluminium cast platter, so i think i need a Cork/rubber or rubber mat.
Rubber will dampen "ring" from the aluminum platter, but won't cure problems with static electricity on records. I had lots of problems with static electricity when I had my Thorens TD280 MkII with a full and thick rubber mat. I put on the Tonar antistatic carbon fibre mat and problem was gone. Now I'm using a Thorens TD203 with thin cork-rubber mix and it works well, static electricity is not building up as they used to. But if I need to, I do have the carbon fibre mat left that I can use when needed. :)

nicklaskarlsson81
Sweden

Post by nicklaskarlsson81 » 04 Dec 2019 22:11

raphaelmabo wrote:
04 Dec 2019 15:29
nicklaskarlsson81 wrote:
04 Dec 2019 13:30
Rubber will dampen "ring" from the aluminum platter, but won't cure problems with static electricity on records. I had lots of problems with static electricity when I had my Thorens TD280 MkII with a full and thick rubber mat. I put on the Tonar antistatic carbon fibre mat and problem was gone. Now I'm using a Thorens TD203 with thin cork-rubber mix and it works well, static electricity is not building up as they used to. But if I need to, I do have the carbon fibre mat left that I can use when needed. :)
Ok 😀 but if i get the antistatic mat from tonar, how will it handle platter ringing? I would love to get rid of the static, but dont want any ringing obviously.

raphaelmabo
long player
long player
Sweden

Post by raphaelmabo » 05 Dec 2019 08:40

nicklaskarlsson81 wrote:
04 Dec 2019 22:11
Ok 😀 but if i get the antistatic mat from tonar, how will it handle platter ringing? I would love to get rid of the static, but dont want any ringing obviously.
I don't know. My TD280 had platter in two parts, a sub platter made of MDF board and an outer platter of metal. The center-part was MDF. The carbon fibre mat worked fine for me, no problem with ringing but I don't know how it will work on a full metal platter. You can always place it on top of the rubber mat. :) (then you have to adjust the VTA).

nicklaskarlsson81
Sweden

Post by nicklaskarlsson81 » 05 Dec 2019 09:40

raphaelmabo wrote:
05 Dec 2019 08:40
nicklaskarlsson81 wrote:
04 Dec 2019 22:11
I don't know. My TD280 had platter in two parts, a sub platter made of MDF board and an outer platter of metal. The center-part was MDF. The carbon fibre mat worked fine for me, no problem with ringing but I don't know how it will work on a full metal platter. You can always place it on top of the rubber mat. :) (then you have to adjust the VTA).
Ok, thanks for your replies. I will order it and try, I'm sure it will handle the ringing just fine. If it's as good as you say it is, I have to get it. I had a felt mat which was supposed to handle static (on another turntable), but it did nothing. It even stuck to the record.

raphaelmabo
long player
long player
Sweden

Post by raphaelmabo » 05 Dec 2019 17:48

nicklaskarlsson81 wrote:
05 Dec 2019 09:40
Ok, thanks for your replies. I will order it and try, I'm sure it will handle the ringing just fine. If it's as good as you say it is, I have to get it. I had a felt mat which was supposed to handle static (on another turntable), but it did nothing. It even stuck to the record.
I can only say that it worked for me, it clearly lowered the static electricity on my records.
There are other solutions to, the Milty Zerostat gun is a well proven solution that's been around for years. I haven't used it but I know others that are pleased with it.

nicklaskarlsson81
Sweden

Post by nicklaskarlsson81 » 05 Dec 2019 21:24

raphaelmabo wrote:
05 Dec 2019 17:48
nicklaskarlsson81 wrote:
05 Dec 2019 09:40
I can only say that it worked for me, it clearly lowered the static electricity on my records.
There are other solutions to, the Milty Zerostat gun is a well proven solution that's been around for years. I haven't used it but I know others that are pleased with it.
Ah ok, but it sounds promising.