Mono on Sony PS-T1

the thin end of the wedge
Raminc

Mono on Sony PS-T1

Post by Raminc » 16 Nov 2019 04:54

Hello, I would like to use the Sony PS-T1 strictly for mono lp's and 45's. I am aware that I can switch my Scott amplifier from stereo to mono however I don't think that is the way to achieve exact mono. Does anyone here know of a mono cartridge and stylus combo that would work with this Sony?

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Re: Mono on Sony PS-T1

Post by Bob Dillon » 17 Nov 2019 01:47

Why isn't engaging the mono button on your Scott "exact mono"?

You may seek a true mono cartridge that only retrieves the lateral groove excursions on your mono records, not a stereo cart that is bridged / jumpered for mono and called a "mono cartridge" - you don't need one of those with your Scott. In that case you are probably going to have to spend a little more money and decide if that's worth it for you to get a real mono cart. Audio-Technica has one out right now that is reasonably priced and gets good feedback.

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Re: Mono on Sony PS-T1

Post by tlscapital » 17 Nov 2019 09:13

First try to figure what's this Sony PS-T1 tonearm effective mass to see what cartridge compliance is best compatible with it. This should prove crucial for optimal result.

Then what sort of MONO records are you planing to listen to with that MONO cartridge ? Large conical really benefit the groove musicality of fifties and sixties MONO records.

Then do you intend to go MC or MM ? HO or LO ? STEREO compliant or pure MONO ?