Philips 308 with Shure M75ED Type 2

the thin end of the wedge
rebeccamachin
Great Britain

Philips 308 with Shure M75ED Type 2

Post by rebeccamachin » 09 Nov 2019 20:55

Hi there,

My name is Rebecca and I'm from England and a bit of a novice. Just wanted to say thank you so much for the resources here. I've had a look at the manual for my Philips 308 but still need a bit of help if any kind soul is familiar with this deck.

Long story short, my ex was an audiophile and I always relied upon him to set up our equipment - big mistake, because now I'm a damsel in distress with no idea how to "check my deck". My Philips 308 was working brilliantly, picked it up for £5 from a car boot sale, fell in love with it. My ex then got a Rega and obviously my Philips was banished - fair enough! Whilst storing it he told me he'd broken it but he'd fix it again. I always assumed it was just the stylus.

Cut to me moving out and hooking up my system in a new place - the cartridge is just hanging loose as far as I can see. Argh! It looks to me like there should be two screws which will hold it in place and one of these is missing, I have the other one along with some other loose bits and bobs. I've tried temporarily securing it and it played an old battered record just fine. I've also ordered a matching screw so I can secure it properly as God (or Philips) intended. There are also a few washer type things, which don't seem to be pictured in the manual - I can only see the screws holding it - is that right?. I suppose I just want to know that nothing else is missing and that by securing the two screws everything will be ok and in place my records won't get ruined. I don't have the original "jig" to track the placement or anything... I have some nice records and would hate to carve them to pieces due to my own ineptitude and shoddy workmanship. Basically any help or info would be greatly appreciated. Some pictures below to explain, I've included a picture from the manual of something I'm worried is missing! Thanks again.
Attachments
IMG_2214.jpg
(36.99 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
IMG_2215.jpg
(70.17 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
IMG_2211.jpg
(41.71 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
IMG_2209.jpg
(43.08 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 20.48.48.png
(133.94 KiB) Downloaded 55 times

Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands

Re: Philips 308 with Shure M75ED Type 2

Post by Japi Roelofs » 09 Nov 2019 22:12

Hi and welcome to the forum

not sure if you already know this, but the cartridge is attached to a black plastic piece that can be removed from the tonearm: a cartridge carrier, or 'sled' if you will. If you hold the tonearm's fingerlift with one hand, you can pry out the sled with the other hand, by just pulling it forward carefully. Once it's removed it makes it easier to properly attach the cartridge.

The sled in the last picture is the one especially made for Philips cartridges. You just click it in, and you're done. For all other cartridges there's the 'flat sled', that's the one you have.
The washers in the picture are probably there to make sure you don't screw in the bolts too far — if they extrude too far from the top, the sled won't fit in the tonearm anymore.

So attach the cartridge to the sled with the screws and washers. Since you don't have the clear plastic alignment jig, you're going to have to eyeball it. Make sure the cartridge sits perfectly square in the sled, with the distance from the stylus tip to the very front edge of the sled being 10 mm.

When you're done doing this, you can push the sled back into the tonearm (headshell). Now all you need to do is follow the set-up procedure in the manual, to get the proper tracking force and anti-skating. The Shure needs 1.5 grams of tracking force.

Collux
Australia

Post by Collux » 09 Nov 2019 22:45

Looks like you probably have the Philips manual. This is the VE link:
https://www.vinylengine.com/library/phi ... -308.shtml

Here also is an audio-technica alignment guide.
https://audio-technica.com.au/how-to/al ... cartridge/
And a YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBnX8EoDl0Y

The cartridge you have, has 2 open side slots to hold the screws.
Unfortunately, if the screws become loose then the cart can fall out, as has happened in your situation.

It's a bit fiddly to reattach the cartridge to the headshell but care and pesistence will pay off.

As for care of your records: a new stylus may be a good idea unless you know the existing is not too worn.
Styli for the M75 are readily available and relatively inexpensive.
https://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/catalog ... ategories=

rebeccamachin
Great Britain

Post by rebeccamachin » 10 Nov 2019 00:42

Japi Roelofs and Collux I cannot thank you both enough!

I was completely convinced I had a piece missing because I had no idea that cartridge carrier was removable! I'm so relieved. I've just pulled it out as you suggested Japi Roelofs, thank you! And it's just like you said, a flat type and not like the one pictured. Phew! So I shall await my carefully measured replacement screw!

Thanks for the links, Collux! They will be most helpful. I've got a new stylus as the original was completely demolished, I have no idea what accident befell my poor Philips during it's storage, but, having tried it is seems like it was only superficial and all shoud be well with this replacement screw.

Thanks again!

Collux
Australia

Post by Collux » 10 Nov 2019 01:58

Cartridge screws can be found on ebay inexpensively
(there are many different types & materials available)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Turntable-Head ... Sw2k5dleE-
If you start playing around with carts and headshells, it's nice to have a few on hand, 'just in case'.