Dynavector Karat Ruby MC Cartridge

the thin end of the wedge
Cavok
Canada

Dynavector Karat Ruby MC Cartridge

Post by Cavok » 09 Nov 2019 17:08

I obtained some gear from a friend who passed away.

One item is a NOS Dynavector Karat Ruby moving coil cartridge.

He had apparently purchased it for a Denon turntable along with a shell for that turntable.

I was going to set it all up but found the Denon table has a power supply problem and won’t fire up. Probably capacitors 🙄. My local technician rolled his eyes and set the Denon on a shelf with two other identical turntables. 😡

I thought then I’d mount it in my Revox B795 Linatrak but the mounting won’t work. The cartridge is setup for mounting screws from the top, screwing directly into the cartridge body.

So, I’m somewhat discouraged. Also, none of my preamps have a MC input.

Is this Dynavector Karat Ruby cartridge worth further effort?

It is brand-new in its box with mounting screws and instructions.

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Re: Dynavector Karat Ruby MC Cartridge

Post by Alec124c41 » 09 Nov 2019 17:29

It's junk. Give it to me.
Seriously, that is a legendary cartridge. A step-up transformer fed into your MM input, or an MC phono preamp into a line-level input would be necessary, if you had a turntable you could mount it on. I hope your tech can fix that Denon.
If your friend had that in reserve, what did he have mounted?

Cheers,
Alec

nat
long player
long player

Post by nat » 09 Nov 2019 18:04

I had one - it was a salesman's sample, otherwise there is no chance I could have afforded it. Through a borrowed Levinson step up, it sounded great. But over the summer, an internal wire corroded, and that was it. No sound from one channel. Can't remember what I did with it. A pity that I don't still have it, because now there are plenty of people who can rebuild such things. They weren't around that I know of in 1987.

gofar99
United States of America

Post by gofar99 » 09 Nov 2019 22:04

Hi, I have one and it is really excellent. Great detail and response. I find it runs better into a 200 ohm load with a 1:10 SUT. YMMV. One of my favorite cartridges.

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 10 Nov 2019 13:28

IME a Karat Ruby mounted on a Denon is a lovely combo indeed. A recap is not technically complex and is a very common service need with vintage DD's, in fact all of mine have needed this. A competent tech will know this and understand how to proceed. Find another tech perhaps, one that is not so jaded.