Upgrading caps and resistors on a Little Bear T11

the thin end of the wedge
metal_gear14
United States of America

Upgrading caps and resistors on a Little Bear T11

Post by metal_gear14 » 08 Nov 2019 17:34

To start, I want to say that I'm very happy with my Little Bear T11 preamp. Others online seem to be satisfied with it, and still others are going the extra mile and modding the heck out of em. I read a few posts online of people modding their T10s and T11s and getting a better sound out of them, so I became intrigued.

What I want to do is I want to upgrade the hardware on my T11, but the problem is I have zero electrical and soldering experience. I don't even know what brand, how many, or exactly what types of caps/resistors I need to improve the sound on my T11. I would like to purchase everything I need online, then I'll take everything to a local hardware electrician and have him put it all together. I'd also hate to show up and not be able to explain what exactly it is I want done to my amp, so please, can someone give me a list of caps and resistors that YOU would use and maybe a T11 schematic and a rough idea of what it is i'm trying to get done here. I'm willing to spend a little extra on decent hardware so Mundorf, Russian PIOs, or what have you. With an online tutorial I'd be willing to do the whole thing myself, but without it, i'm afraid i'll just end up frying something. Much thanks! I appreciate any help coming my way.

T68
Sweden

Re: Upgrading caps and resistors on a Little Bear T11

Post by T68 » 08 Nov 2019 23:09

+1 om this! I would really appreciate an "upgrade little bear t10/11 for dummies" guide sort of thing :-).

mamakasou
Greece

Post by mamakasou » 09 Nov 2019 08:45

I have used the Vishay MKT/MKP series of capacitors as upgrade for coupling duties, with good results.
Vishay 1% metal film resistor as well. Also some PRP and Takman metal films.

But, when you're willing to go that route, it's a very good idea to make some effort in learning at least the basics regarding electronics. It certainly makes things a lot easier and a lot more interesting.

I'd suggest you try watching some helpful video tutorials out there on how things work.
When it comes to general tube stuff, I 'd definitely recommend you watch some related videos by Uncle Doug.

Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-u8J-yh9ZA

metal_gear14
United States of America

Post by metal_gear14 » 11 Nov 2019 02:21

download/file.php?id=31666&mode=view

^That's of the T10 but should work just the same for T11

Some guy on another forum recommended these caps:

FOUR 4X Mundorf MCap Supreme Aluminum Capacitor 0.47 uf 0.47 .47 600VDC MFD

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOUR-4X-Mundor ... 6537!US!-1

Also I stumbled upon this youtube video of this guy who ruined his T10 v2.5 trying to mod it himself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXQTm84pz44&t=136s

Thanks Mamakasou, Just now subscribed to Uncle Doug. I'll be watching some of his videos soon.

billshurv
long player
long player

Post by billshurv » 11 Nov 2019 11:36

I'm going to be a little contentious here, but component rolling unless something is very old, or was built on a shoestring is unlikely to bring anything other than a hole in the bank account. A T11 is £150. Spending that much again on a few capacitors is not likely to be a good use of funds.

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 11 Nov 2019 13:50

Echo that sentiment. It's only audiophile nervousa. This condition is contagious from reading forums where meaningful enthusiasts express sonic breakthroughs from a capacitor, resistors, diode change. Even a few cm's of wire. The circuit itself is unfazed with this modification. It all takes place in the mind of the intrepid hobbyist from their surgical amendment to the device. And there are many, more than willing vendors, purveyors of exotic and expensive mod's to keep the contagion going full circle. The circuit itself, how it's devised, is the sum total of what you hear. Good parts to make it work reliably are all that is needed. The exotic add on's are sorcerers, magicians recipes.