Denatured Alcohol / 50% ethyl alcohol vs Isopropyl

the thin end of the wedge
sausagecreature
Great Britain

Denatured Alcohol / 50% ethyl alcohol vs Isopropyl

Post by sausagecreature » 28 Oct 2019 10:34

Sorry if this has already been done to death, I did search but didn't find specifically what I was looking for.

Here on the Shure website it says to use Denatured Alcohol / 50% ethyl alcohol for stylus cleaning.

https://www.shure.com/en-GB/support/fin ... -cleaning

After 20 minutes of trying to search on Amazon for ethyl/denatured alcohol.... I have come here to ask if isopropyl alcohol is going to do any harm to my stylus. I have the isopropyl at home for other jobs, and have struggled to find a small 100ml or so bottle of the ethyl on Amazon (prime free postage vs £4 postage on ebay) so just wondering if the IPA will do any damage.

Thanks
Mark

johnnywalker
long player
long player

Re: Denatured Alcohol / 50% ethyl alcohol vs Isopropyl

Post by johnnywalker » 28 Oct 2019 12:12

It will not damage your stylus, and sounds like it would work fine. But as an adjunct to my magic eraser, I use the following:

https://www.turntableneedles.com/audio- ... 65738.html

It's cheap, works great, is designed by a cartridge manufacturer so the strong assumption is that it is not harmful to styli, and lasts virtually forever.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 29 Oct 2019 02:44

Isopropyl alcohol will work just fine, and is safe. Here's the quote from that Shure FAQ: "we recommend a mixture of 50% ethyl alcohol (or denatured alcohol) and 50% distilled water". You can use 50/50 isopropyl and water instead.

You will never find ethyl alcohol for sale online. It is pure 100%ABV/200 proof liquor, so can't legally be sold online...not to mention it is flammable, and considered a hazardous material for shipping purposes to consumers. Denatured alcohol is ethyl alcohol with a poison (methanol) added so that people can't drink it. It is also considered hazardous. However, you can normally find (at least in the US) denatured alcohol where house paint is sold, since denatured alcohol is a common solvent...and a fuel for certain lanterns.

Having said all that, I prefer the Audio Technica AT607a that JW mentioned for normal cleaning. For stubborn jobs, I use pure isopropyl.

sausagecreature
Great Britain

Post by sausagecreature » 29 Oct 2019 14:02

Thanks to you both for the input. JDJ, you found a similar page from shure, but the one I had didn't give the additional information about isopropyl, so very reassuring. A camel hair brush is winging it's way towards me. I'll make a start with the isopropyl at 50/50 and look to the at607 more long term.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 29 Oct 2019 15:25

To the OP, ethyl alcohol is booze. It's the main ingredient of vodka, which is ethyl alcohol, with flavoring.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 29 Oct 2019 16:07

"Denatured Alcohol " simply means that it is no longer a given alcohol in it natural state and no longer fit for human consumption. This is done mainly for tax purposes .
What is added has about the same evaporative properties as the alcohol .
One thing that might be added to denature it is jet fuel .

I can not understand why they say use denatured alcohol.

As already stated, Isopropyl alcohol will work fine..... as the only thing usually added to that it filtered water.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 29 Oct 2019 17:10

JDJX wrote:
29 Oct 2019 16:07
I agree. I don't think I've ever seen that before as a recommendation for stylus cleaning...or any type of vinyl record interface cleaning. I've seen ethanol recommended as part of a solution for cleaning records, but to get it in it's pure state, you pretty much have to work in a lab or pharmacy setting.

I use isopropyl (99% pure) as one ingredient in a recording cleaning solution, and in small quantities as a quick solvent. For big cleaning jobs requiring solvent, I do use denatured since it is cheap, readily available, and safe with plastics.

wolfie62
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by wolfie62 » 31 Oct 2019 17:37

JDJX wrote:
"Denatured Alcohol " simply means that it is no longer a given alcohol in it natural state and no longer fit for human consumption. This is done mainly for tax purposes .
What is added has about the same evaporative properties as the alcohol .
One thing that might be added to denature it is jet fuel .

As already stated, Isopropyl alcohol will work fine..... as the only thing usually added to that it filtered water.
Jet fuel is a form of kerosene. It is rarely used to "denature" alcohol. It would leave an oil film. Much cheaper than kerosene is methanol, or wood alcohol. It is poisonous, and very difficult to separate from the ethyl (grain) alcohol, and has similar properties.

wolfie62
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by wolfie62 » 31 Oct 2019 17:40

jdjohn wrote:
29 Oct 2019 17:10
JDJX wrote:
I agree. I don't think I've ever seen that before as a recommendation for stylus cleaning...or any type of vinyl record interface cleaning. I've seen ethanol recommended as part of a solution for cleaning records, but to get it in it's pure state, you pretty much have to work in a lab or pharmacy setting.

I use isopropyl (99% pure) as one ingredient in a recording cleaning solution, and in small quantities as a quick solvent. For big cleaning jobs requiring solvent, I do use denatured since it is cheap, readily available, and safe with plastics.
Lots of moonshiners out here would beg to disagree with you! They get pure ethyl alcohol routinely, and not in a lab or pharmacy setting!

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 31 Oct 2019 17:53

"I've seen ethanol recommended as part of a solution for cleaning records, but to get it in it's pure state, you pretty much have to work in a lab or pharmacy setting."

... and if you any left over, you drink it, although pure is much too strong.

wolfie62
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by wolfie62 » 31 Oct 2019 20:46

... and if you any left over, you drink it, although pure is much too strong.
That's why the BARTENDER was invented.

So, clean your stylus, then mix your favorite adult beverage, sit back, and enjoy your music while sipping on your "Stylus Cleaner", shaken, not stirred!

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 31 Oct 2019 21:42

Haha! I meant 'legally' obtain pure ethanol! :lol: I've seen huge plastic jugs of it for lab and pharmacy use.
I guess a person could buy Golden Grain or Everclear from the likka sto', but it might not be as pure as lab-grade.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 31 Oct 2019 21:49

If you drink enough of it, you won't care how clean your stylus is. [-X #-o =D> :idea: :wink: :lol: