Cartridge upgrade advice

the thin end of the wedge
Hanitable
Canada

Cartridge upgrade advice

Post by Hanitable » 27 Oct 2019 18:37

I have a grado gold mm(iron), on Vpi hw 19 jr, AQ arm, running with Cary slp98, looking for more air, will Ortofon 2m Bronze will be a good and noticble upgrade.
Thanks

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Re: Cartridge upgrade advice

Post by JDJX » 27 Oct 2019 19:23

Perhaps if you opened a window......

Seriously, the term "air" is quite ambiguous.

BTW I can not understand why really really ambiguous terms are now used to describe audio when there are long accepted and much more descriptive and meaningful ways ways of describing audio.... such as... " low distortion", "good dynamic range" .... and "flat response". etc. It seems that now, some are not concerned about those basic things. ...at least how to recognize them..... or even realize that is what they want.

Hanitable
Canada

Post by Hanitable » 27 Oct 2019 21:05

I find the grado to be dark and not very detailed . Sound stage was actually good with it.
A lot of people using the Air term, most of the tube guys know what it means, basicly the sound will open up similar when you remove the grills from your speakers.
Thanks for the answer.

lapratho

Post by lapratho » 27 Oct 2019 21:35

Subjective terms of description are something you either get, or you don't. I get it.
If you want more air, a lighter, more detailed sound, with being able to hear whispers in the shadows, little background noises, a lighter fluffier feel of the sound - and if Grado doesn't deliver ... never look to Ortofon.
Their higher end carts may be better than their bottom end, but their declared goal is truth to sound, which they have always executed by being dead in its presentation. Nothing added, executed to such an extent, it is a death sentence to being lively. They don't allow anything to pop up at all.
I would look at Goldring, which I have heard on on some systems I can never afford, and they are in a class, where you forget about about the cartridge, and just listen to the music. The 2100 is $250, so quite reasonable, but you can go up from there as well ;)
Then there is Denon with its MC carts, and Hana.
Nagaoka may be an option as well with their higher end offerings, but the kind of quality you are looking for cannot be delivered in a sample on Youtube (which does have a lot of cart-tests), so you need to find a place near you, where you can sample them.
Going the order and try route, the safest bet is likely Goldring or the higher end Audio Technica. AT makes a lot of carts for other manufacturers, so chances are, you're buying an AT anyway, when going for another manufacturer.