DENON DL-103S

the thin end of the wedge
2002afan
United States of America

DENON DL-103S

Post by 2002afan » 16 Oct 2019 21:08

I finally got my $137.00 shipped DENON DL-103S from my seller buddy in Japan. It is in excellent condition. :D Magnification shows this too. First I tried to fit it on cherry wood body head-shell that I had. The back of the head-shell was taller than the cartridge body and stylus. :( Next up an old Lo-D aluminum head-shell. It works but it still sits low. I'm going to add a wooden spacer soon to help raise it up and with VTA. Enough about that. :roll:
I'm presently running it on my Technics SL-1300 at 2 grams tracking force. WOW, This cart sounds incredible. =D>
I just finished listening to Sonny Rollins, A Night At The Village Vanguard. The drum rifts coming out of my speakers sounded like 1957 and I was in the audience. Excellent sound stage, very airy mids and highs and as with all DENONS, an excellent tracker. Bass is good not great like a 103 or 103R but I'm not mad at it. An absolutely nice sounding vintage cart.
Balky knows. :P
When the time comes to re-tip, I think I will go with a boron or sapphire cantilever with a Line Contact or Shibata diamond. Until then, where is my Max Roach, Deeds Not Words album. 8)
Keep that vinyl spinning.
Cheers,
WillO

balky
Belgium

Re: DENON DL-103S

Post by balky » 22 Oct 2019 14:55

2002afan wrote:
16 Oct 2019 21:08
I finally got my $137.00 shipped DENON DL-103S from my seller buddy in Japan. It is in excellent condition. :D Magnification shows this too. First I tried to fit it on cherry wood body head-shell that I had. The back of the head-shell was taller than the cartridge body and stylus. :( Next up an old Lo-D aluminum head-shell. It works but it still sits low. I'm going to add a wooden spacer soon to help raise it up and with VTA. Enough about that. :roll:
I'm presently running it on my Technics SL-1300 at 2 grams tracking force. WOW, This cart sounds incredible. =D>
I just finished listening to Sonny Rollins, A Night At The Village Vanguard. The drum rifts coming out of my speakers sounded like 1957 and I was in the audience. Excellent sound stage, very airy mids and highs and as with all DENONS, an excellent tracker. Bass is good not great like a 103 or 103R but I'm not mad at it. An absolutely nice sounding vintage cart.
When the time comes to re-tip, I think I will go with a boron or sapphire cantilever with a Line Contact or Shibata diamond. Until then, where is my Max Roach, Deeds Not Words album. 8)
Cheers,
WillO
I can confirm this... the DL-103S is a fantastic cart... I've had mine re-tipped Boron / Shibata and yes, I'm telling you, it ranks up there with the rest... :D
My DL-103R has a Boron / Microridge re-tip, and I can say is just one step ahead of the DL-103S... both track warp like no man's business...

You won't regret doing Boron / Shibata when the time comes, just ask whoever is re-tipping to not touch the coils or the suspension, otherwise the Denon sonic signature would be at risk of being lost...

2002afan
United States of America

Post by 2002afan » 24 Oct 2019 00:57

balky wrote:
22 Oct 2019 14:55
2002afan wrote:
16 Oct 2019 21:08
Cheers,
WillO
I can confirm this... the DL-103S is a fantastic cart... I've had mine re-tipped Boron / Shibata and yes, I'm telling you, it ranks up there with the rest... :D
My DL-103R has a Boron / Microridge re-tip, and I can say is just one step ahead of the DL-103S... both track warp like no man's business...

You won't regret doing Boron / Shibata when the time comes, just ask whoever is re-tipping to not touch the coils or the suspension, otherwise the Denon sonic signature would be at risk of being lost...
Balky, Thanks for the re-tipping suggestions. 8)
My suggestions, get them while you can. :wink:
The 103R, S and D in no particular order. :)
You will not be disappointed. :^o =P~
Cheers,
WillO

sivagriva
long player
long player
Slovenia

Post by sivagriva » 24 Oct 2019 14:35

Never had/listened to DL103S, but I can confirm what others have already said, DL103R, retipped boron/microridge, sounds really fantastic....compared with stock 103R, 103SL, or plain 103.

Here is my boron/microridge retipped 103R:
Attachments
IMGP4755.jpg
(65.61 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
170127125306406 - Version 2.jpg
(73.68000000000001 KiB) Downloaded 59 times

2002afan
United States of America

Post by 2002afan » 25 Oct 2019 11:59

sivagriva wrote:
24 Oct 2019 14:35
Never had/listened to DL103S, but I can confirm what others have already said, DL103R, retipped boron/microridge, sounds really fantastic....compared with stock 103R, 103SL, or plain 103.

Here is my boron/microridge retipped 103R:
sivagriva, Nice!! 8) =D> I like the sound of boron too. :P
Cheers,
WillO