Headshells compatible with Sony ps lx2 tt

the thin end of the wedge
1stTTSonylx2
Scotland

Headshells compatible with Sony ps lx2 tt

Post by 1stTTSonylx2 » 09 Oct 2019 02:26

Hi, I'm new here and I've just bought my first TT - an old (read as 'cheap') Sony ps lx2.
I'm wondering if anyone can give me any confirmation regarding headshells:
Other than the original Sony xl150; the SH 151; and the Sh94 - is there any other headshells out there that will be compatible with the ULM arm on this TT?

Also - any recommendations for cartridge/styli?

Kind Regards
Dw

nat
long player
long player

Re: Headshells compatible with Sony ps lx2 tt

Post by nat » 10 Oct 2019 22:49

Not sure that it is helpful to describe the arm as ULM - Dual had a whole series of tables with arms specifically named ULM, so your using it as short for low mass may confuse people. And I'm not convinced its actually all that ultra low mass anyway. It's low, but not ultra. That's probably a good thing, by the way since few cartridges available new nowadays benefit from really mass arms, and because the arm is more stoutly built than (for example) the actual ULMs.
Since the price of the table seems to have been a factor in your decision, the obvious recommendation for a cartridge is the AT 3600, which is remarkably good sounding for less than 20 bucks. If later you decide you absolutely must have a more sophisticated stylus shape, there is a clear upgrade path (though be aware that 'upgrade' doesn't necessarily mean more fun to listen to).

1stTTSonylx2
Scotland

Post by 1stTTSonylx2 » 11 Oct 2019 03:33

Hi Nat, thanks for the response.
Apologies if I confused anyone re: the use of 'ULM' terminology, I used it as I think that is how Sony described it in 1981 or whatever. I think Sony called that arm design their 'ULM'.
Anyway, it was the 'headshell' options I was more interested in finding out about ie - are there any other ones available...
So do you think that any upgrade would make the TT less fun to listen to? I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
Yes cost is a factor in my setup. It is more a beginners project, and it is fun.
I will bear in mind the AT cartridge, thank you.

1stTTSonylx2
Scotland

Post by 1stTTSonylx2 » 11 Oct 2019 06:43

Ahh yes Nat, sorry, I saw these tonearms described as ULM somewhere, but having checked with the Sony manual I see it is described as a 'low mass', 'statically balanced' type.
Apologies.

bernard1
France

Post by bernard1 » 11 Oct 2019 08:38

1stTTSonylx2 wrote:
09 Oct 2019 02:26
Hi, I'm new here and I've just bought my first TT - an old (read as 'cheap') Sony ps lx2.
I'm wondering if anyone can give me any confirmation regarding headshells:
Other than the original Sony xl150; the SH 151; and the Sh94 - is there any other headshells out there that will be compatible with the ULM arm on this TT?

Also - any recommendations for cartridge/styli?

Kind Regards
Dw
You're right, the two (proprietary) headshells available for your turntable are the sh 151 (metal) and the sh 94 (plastic). The xl 150 is an integrated cartridge-headshell, for which you can find after market styli.
Which one do you have?

1stTTSonylx2
Scotland

Post by 1stTTSonylx2 » 11 Oct 2019 11:44

Hi Bernard, thank you for the confirmation! I suspected that was the case but wasn't completely sure.
Mine came with a xl150, which I am hoping to replace with the SH151 or Sh94, once I source some at affordable prices for me.
At least either of those two allows for cartridge changing, whereas the xl150 is a all in one/sealed unit h/shell.
I am operating on a limited budget atm, so....

Kind Regards

bernard1
France

Post by bernard1 » 11 Oct 2019 12:04

Thakker.eu (not affiliated) has two ND150G styli for the XL150. One from Japan at 22€ and one from Switerland at 15.50€. Plus shipping. It's conical ones.
The AT3600 recommended by nat is a good altenative. You can find them on e bay for as less as 12 $, free international shipping. Conical stylus also. I think one can't find a better value for money.
AT VM 95 is an option that let you begin with a conical stylus for ~30€ then you can upgrade with eliptical, micro-line or even shibata stylus on the same body.

1stTTSonylx2
Scotland

Post by 1stTTSonylx2 » 11 Oct 2019 12:28

Thank you Bernard.
Golly, I wasn't aware that there was such a vast array of styli shape (I am new to this).
I'm assuming there are differing benefits from each shape...
Thank you very much for all of this Information, Nat and Bernard, I will bear all these options in mind, going forward.
Thank you again.

bernard1
France

Post by bernard1 » 11 Oct 2019 14:41

With some patience the Sony headshell SH 151 can be found for less than 30€ but most of the time the price asked is dissuasive.
Giving your XL150 a new stylus will give you the time to find one headshell at a good price, I think.
Another solution is to buy a nonfunctionnal turntable using the same headshell at a cheap price and canibalize it. The PST 33, another PS LX2...

1stTTSonylx2
Scotland

Post by 1stTTSonylx2 » 11 Oct 2019 15:30

Yes Bernard, I have been looking into the canabalising option...im inpatient but will have to develop patience... Thank you for the tips

1stTTSonylx2
Scotland

Post by 1stTTSonylx2 » 11 Oct 2019 15:36

Hmm... I wasn't aware the ps t33 was compatible. Thank you again Bernard, I appreciate it a lot.

1stTTSonylx2
Scotland

Post by 1stTTSonylx2 » 11 Oct 2019 15:57

Hope I'm not being a pain but what used speakers would you recommend? And what should I look out for when buying used speakers?
The amp I have got for it is an old Sony Ta Ax2, and it states an impedance rating of 8-16 ohms.
Would there be more detail in the sound if I was to use, say, 6 ohm speakers? And would this be safe enough to do?
I don't intend playing it at crazy house party volume levels.

bernard1
France

Post by bernard1 » 11 Oct 2019 18:31

Sorry I have no advice for second hand speakers. I would buy local, I mean British speakers. KEF, Celestion, Tannoy, UK has some nice hi-fi background. In the modern production Q Acoustics make some affordable bookshelf speakers, often proposed on second hand sites.

1stTTSonylx2
Scotland

Post by 1stTTSonylx2 » 12 Oct 2019 16:54

Excellent, thank you. I will bear these in mind.