Cartridge Close-Ups - Show Your Shots!

the thin end of the wedge
dagfinn
Norway

Re: Cartridge Close-Ups - Show Your Shots!

Post by dagfinn » 11 Jan 2020 21:28

Delta667 wrote:
11 Jan 2020 12:25
Ruby and beryllium sound very close together. It is difficult to give preference to one of them. Dynamically, purely, naturally, too detailed (for me).
Aluminum sounds different, soft, without annoying notes.
Much depends on the quality of the vinyl record.
A dim record will be revived by beryllium and ruby, respectively Shibata and Guger.
An overly bright recording will smooth out the aluminum with the sphere.
Every music lover knows this. )))
Therefore, I can no longer imagine how you can have in use only one pickup, one tonearm, one phono stage ... :lol:

After work, I returned my J7 to the tonearm. Aluminum and a sharp stylus - softness and detail. :)
IMGP4801.JPG
Thank you for your explanation. I'm a music lover, but my real experience with cantilevers and styli started only six months ago. Before that it was just the DL-103 for decades, and I didn't even know which cut it had. Or that there were different cuts. And cantilevers :lol: .

Since, I have had the best guidance and kindness of Bobby and Bill and the good people here on VE. But yes, now I can hear the softness of aluminum, versus beryllium and boron. But I feel boron give a softer tone than beryllium? The 150MLx is very close to my heart on my Signet AM-series.

Tonight I'm listening to what was voted "Norways best album ever", Radka Toneff and Steve Dobrogosz' Fairytales, grand piano and vocals. And with the saddest story, perhaps, she took her own life the same year this album was released.
TK9_DeltaLC_boron.jpg
(75.05 KiB) Downloaded 300 times
Signet TK9 with goldplated boron and Delta LC :). Originally on loan, but it seems it will take permanent residency with me :). For me it sounds warmer than an AT LC, for instance. Very natural over the whole range, and actually quite reminding of the 103. I keep stopping my writing just to listen. Specially it handles the most dynamic notes of the top octaves of the Steinway grand piano with credibility and manages to sound true. The CD sounds hard in comparison.

Also, I can hear it finding better vinyl than 103, reviving much of one of my most played albums. (Still countless late nights with wine and women has made some irreparable impressions in the vinyl;)).

How do you feel about this combination, Dmitry? (I mean goldplated boron/DeltaLC not wine and women;))
Did you ever make a beryllium/DeltaLC?

Regards,
Dagfinn

Wimbo
Australia

Post by Wimbo » 11 Jan 2020 21:53

Tonight I'm listening to what was voted "Norways best album ever", Radka Toneff and Steve Dobrogosz' Fairytales, grand piano and vocals. And with the saddest story, perhaps, she took her own life the same year this album was released.

I've got this :)

balky
Belgium

Post by balky » 12 Jan 2020 08:05

BMRR wrote:
11 Jan 2020 20:40
balky wrote:
11 Jan 2020 17:07
My order of preference for tips is MicroRidge - ULM Paratrace - Shibata - Microline - .2x.7 Ellipticals - Conicals
MicroRidge diamonds and MicroLine diamonds are the same; it's interesting that you prefer MicroRidge over MicroLine :)
This is what I have read as well, but IME, they have different sonic signatures...

scho2684
long player
long player

Post by scho2684 » 12 Jan 2020 09:24

balky wrote:
12 Jan 2020 08:05
This is what I have read as well, but IME, they have different sonic signatures...
I wonder how you would be able to tell the difference...
I say its impossible...

billshurv
long player
long player

Post by billshurv » 12 Jan 2020 09:29

Popcorn anyone?

balky
Belgium

Post by balky » 12 Jan 2020 10:40

scho2684 wrote:
12 Jan 2020 09:24
balky wrote:
12 Jan 2020 08:05
I wonder how you would be able to tell the difference...
I say its impossible...
I own 6 different MicroRidge carts and four Microline... and probably know what I am talking about...

If you can't tell the difference, it doesn't mean anyone else can't... :D

Because you say it is impossible to hear a difference does not literally make it impossible for anyone to hear...
You can only just speak for your ears and your system.

I read specs to have an idea of what to expect, and base my opinion on listening.

Won't be debating this any further...

Delta667
long player
long player
Russia

Post by Delta667 » 12 Jan 2020 10:54

dagfinn wrote:
11 Jan 2020 21:28
Delta667 wrote:
11 Jan 2020 12:25
Ruby and beryllium sound very close together. It is difficult to give preference to one of them. Dynamically, purely, naturally, too detailed (for me).
Aluminum sounds different, soft, without annoying notes.
Much depends on the quality of the vinyl record.
A dim record will be revived by beryllium and ruby, respectively Shibata and Guger.
An overly bright recording will smooth out the aluminum with the sphere.
Every music lover knows this. )))
Therefore, I can no longer imagine how you can have in use only one pickup, one tonearm, one phono stage ... :lol:

After work, I returned my J7 to the tonearm. Aluminum and a sharp stylus - softness and detail. :)
IMGP4801.JPG
Thank you for your explanation. I'm a music lover, but my real experience with cantilevers and styli started only six months ago. Before that it was just the DL-103 for decades, and I didn't even know which cut it had. Or that there were different cuts. And cantilevers :lol: .

Since, I have had the best guidance and kindness of Bobby and Bill and the good people here on VE. But yes, now I can hear the softness of aluminum, versus beryllium and boron. But I feel boron give a softer tone than beryllium? The 150MLx is very close to my heart on my Signet AM-series.

TK9_DeltaLC_boron.jpg
Signet TK9 with goldplated boron and Delta LC :). Originally on loan, but it seems it will take permanent residency with me :). For me it sounds warmer than an AT LC, for instance. Very natural over the whole range, and actually quite reminding of the 103. I keep stopping my writing just to listen. Specially it handles the most dynamic notes of the top octaves of the Steinway grand piano with credibility and manages to sound true. The CD sounds hard in comparison.

Also, I can hear it finding better vinyl than 103, reviving much of one of my most played albums. (Still countless late nights with wine and women has made some irreparable impressions in the vinyl;)).

How do you feel about this combination, Dmitry? (I mean goldplated boron/DeltaLC not wine and women;))

Regards,
Dagfinn
Dagfinn,

All my conclusions relate only to Ortofon Kontrapunkt A and B.
Do not consider the cantilever and its structure separately from the cartridge.
There is such a thing as "harmony". In everything there should be a correct and harmonious combination of materials.

Next come personal preferences. From my personal experience, I noticed that this value is not constant, it changes with time (the main factor by age).

At this point in time, I can combine DeltaLC with any cantilever material other than diamond.
Diamond - Diamond is still the most difficult combination to combine.

Your Delta ))

scho2684
long player
long player

Post by scho2684 » 12 Jan 2020 10:59

balky wrote:
12 Jan 2020 10:40
I own 6 different MicroRidge carts and four Microline... and probably know what I am talking about...

Won't be debating this any further...
Your choice, my comment was not offensive btw...
Just wonder how you can filter out the difference between a MicroLine and a MicroRidge between all those other differences which have nothing to do with the stylus but all to do with the differences in cartridges in general...
Even two the "same" cartridges from one manufacturer and type can be different...

You can hear the difference between a conical and fine line yes, but I doubt if anyone would ever be able to hear the difference between a ML and MR because as far as I know they are the same shape...

If you order a ML and MR stylus from Ogura for example, don't be surprised when you get two identical styluses...

I truly like to see some foundation for that MR vs ML statement from your side, I find my self never to old to learn something and/or change my thoughts on subjects...

balky
Belgium

Post by balky » 12 Jan 2020 11:27

billshurv wrote:
12 Jan 2020 09:29
Popcorn anyone?
Don't worry Bill, no popcorn needed at this time... :D
Not happening...

I've only stated my preferences... and it's not my problem if anyone isn't okay with that...

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 12 Jan 2020 14:46

balky wrote:
12 Jan 2020 10:40

If you can't tell the difference, it doesn't mean anyone else can't... :D
I'm not saying you can't hear a difference. But I believe the differences you are hearing between MicroLine and MicroRidge are due to the cartridge generators and the cantilevers.

For example, if you were to put a MicroLine diamond on a Shure V15VMR, I believe the cartridge would sound the same as it did before. Likewise, if you were to put a MicroRidge diamond on an Audio-Technica AT440MLb, I believe the cartridge would sound the same as it did before.

Think of it this way:

Imagine that you put butter on a piece of white bread, and you also put the same butter on a piece of brown bread.

The butter is exactly the same on both pieces of bread, but the white bread with butter tastes different than the brown bread with butter.

Likewise, if I put a Namiki MR diamond on a Shure cartridge, and I put a Namiki MR diamond on an Audio-Technica cartridge, it is logical that the Shure cartridge will sound different than the Audio-Technica cartridge even though they are both using the same diamond.

farispaul
New Zealand

Post by farispaul » 13 Jan 2020 06:59

[/quote]

Regards,
Dagfinn
[/quote]

Yes Dagfinn,
One TK9lc with beryllium/DeltaLC is on route to me!
Paul

dagfinn
Norway

Post by dagfinn » 13 Jan 2020 17:05

Ah, great :)! Look forward to hear your impression! I may have a worn beryllium insert ready for new tip... :D

Delta667
long player
long player
Russia

Post by Delta667 » 15 Jan 2020 11:07

My Sharp / Optonica C-101.
The evening before the breakup ))
IMGP5018.JPG
(63.14 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
IMGP5009.JPG
(71.84999999999999 KiB) Downloaded 101 times

farispaul
New Zealand

Post by farispaul » 16 Jan 2020 06:13

Delta667 wrote:
15 Jan 2020 11:07
IMGP5018.JPG
IMGP5009.JPG
I am sorry about that. What did she do wrong? :lol:

Delta667
long player
long player
Russia

Post by Delta667 » 16 Jan 2020 07:13

farispaul wrote:
16 Jan 2020 06:13
Delta667 wrote:
15 Jan 2020 11:07
IMGP5018.JPG
IMGP5009.JPG
I am sorry about that. What did she do wrong? :lol:
He’s all right, he just found a new owner))