Cartridge Close-Ups - Show Your Shots!

the thin end of the wedge
Post Reply
billshurv
long player
long player
Posts: 2325
Joined: 16 Oct 2014 15:38

Re: Cartridge Close-Ups - Show Your Shots!

Post by billshurv » 23 Aug 2019 21:38

balky wrote:
23 Aug 2019 20:45


So you know where to get one... let's talk... :D
well yes you have a lightweight counterweight for me somewhere, or had you forgotten :P

balky
senior member
senior member
Belgium
Posts: 446
Joined: 28 Jun 2016 14:43
Location: Sint Niklaas

Re: Cartridge Close-Ups - Show Your Shots!

Post by balky » 23 Aug 2019 21:45

Japi Roelofs wrote:
23 Aug 2019 21:29
jvcforce wrote:
23 Aug 2019 17:29
Japi, Have you tried flipping the side of SL-1200 counterweight? Tail, or backside of the counterweight is heavier than the front, so by flipping the side the weight can go closer to the pivot of the tonearm.
Yep, still too heavy. I tried about a dozen other counterweights, they were either too heavy or they didn't fit.

Then I thought of something: I have an old Panasonic SL-31 turntable (1972).

45934

It has a split ring counterweight. The combined weight is a little over 100 grams.

Panasonic counterweight 1.jpg

The counterweight without the outer ring is a little over 50 grams.

Panasonic counterweight 2.jpg

It fits, and it works! I can dial in the right amount of VTF and there still is a little bit of room left. The scale ring on the inner weight is useless without the outer weight, so I need to use a stylus scale. It looks a bit funny:

Panasonic counterweight 3.jpg

So now you know: the counterweight for the Panasonic SL-31 is the one to get. Good luck finding one :lol:
Unobtanium...

Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands
Posts: 4468
Joined: 05 Apr 2008 16:53
Location: Netherlands

Re: Cartridge Close-Ups - Show Your Shots!

Post by Japi Roelofs » 23 Aug 2019 22:00

billshurv wrote:
23 Aug 2019 21:38
well yes you have a lightweight counterweight for me somewhere, or had you forgotten :P
Bill, if you're referring to the counterweight I sent to Balky, I have to disappoint you; it doesn't fit the Technics arm (if that's what you plan on using it on).

There is another option for the add-on weight though. It doesn't look very elegant, but it works:
https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... ct#p433206

billshurv
long player
long player
Posts: 2325
Joined: 16 Oct 2014 15:38

Re: Cartridge Close-Ups - Show Your Shots!

Post by billshurv » 24 Aug 2019 01:23

I am, but that is to fit my Kenwood arm with the LM concorde. I also have an SME 30H armwand with the built in concorde which is 4.5g total effective mass.

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium
Posts: 1977
Joined: 27 Sep 2015 14:27
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Re: Cartridge Close-Ups - Show Your Shots!

Post by tlscapital » 24 Aug 2019 10:54

Delta667 wrote:
23 Aug 2019 16:36
Visually difficult to notice the differences, but the difference is incredible!
I increased the conductor cross section by 4 times. Resistance and inductance fell 10 times. At the same time, the output decreased only 2 times, now it is about 1.0 mV. You will hear on vinyl an incredible number of parts that were previously hidden or concealed.
Although this should be truly an advantage in the playback for LP's of the "softer genre" like classical or jazz, I doubt somehow it will benefit my "old" soul 45's and their groove retrieval.

My 45's take a lot of their dynamic in clarity from volume. Originally given at 3mV, my DL-102's currently benefit from my preamp output set at 60dB and my amp volume knob set halfway.

Above halfway, I start to hear too much "distortion" from my amp that "confuses" the sound definition. That which is not welcome when at lower volume everything is "clear" and "focus".

Still thanks a lot 'Master' Dmitry for this cartridge rescue surgery of the most adventurous genre with a truly (at least seemingly) amazing conversion of sonic rendition. Impatient to test it I am.

If ever it does not "suit" me, my records or my set-up like the "initial" DL-102 does, it will surely find a happy home where it's 'Delta667' exotic touch is most appreciated :wink:

Delta667
long player
long player
Russia
Posts: 2428
Joined: 29 Aug 2013 14:10
Location: from CCCP, Vladivostok

Re: Cartridge Close-Ups - Show Your Shots!

Post by Delta667 » 24 Aug 2019 11:05

billshurv wrote:
23 Aug 2019 17:38
Delta667 wrote:
23 Aug 2019 16:36
Visually difficult to notice the differences, but the difference is incredible!
I increased the conductor cross section by 4 times. Resistance and inductance fell 10 times. At the same time, the output decreased only 2 times, now it is about 1.0 mV. You will hear on vinyl an incredible number of parts that were previously hidden or concealed.
If you can get it down to 0.5mV I'd suddenly be very tempted.
I do not see any barriers to this. ))

Delta667
long player
long player
Russia
Posts: 2428
Joined: 29 Aug 2013 14:10
Location: from CCCP, Vladivostok

Re: Cartridge Close-Ups - Show Your Shots!

Post by Delta667 » 24 Aug 2019 11:19

tlscapital wrote:
24 Aug 2019 10:54
Delta667 wrote:
23 Aug 2019 16:36
Visually difficult to notice the differences, but the difference is incredible!
I increased the conductor cross section by 4 times. Resistance and inductance fell 10 times. At the same time, the output decreased only 2 times, now it is about 1.0 mV. You will hear on vinyl an incredible number of parts that were previously hidden or concealed.
Although this should be truly an advantage in the playback for LP's of the "softer genre" like classical or jazz, I doubt somehow it will benefit my "old" soul 45's and their groove retrieval.

My 45's take a lot of their dynamic in clarity from volume. Originally given at 3mV, my DL-102's currently benefit from my preamp output set at 60dB and my amp volume knob set halfway.

Above halfway, I start to hear too much "distortion" from my amp that "confuses" the sound definition. That which is not welcome when at lower volume everything is "clear" and "focus".

Still thanks a lot 'Master' Dmitry for this cartridge rescue surgery of the most adventurous genre with a truly (at least seemingly) amazing conversion of sonic rendition. Impatient to test it I am.

If ever it does not "suit" me, my records or my set-up like the "initial" DL-102 does, it will surely find a happy home where it's 'Delta667' exotic touch is most appreciated :wink:
This "Lone Texas Ranger" will be a unique gem in your DL-102 collection.

Delta667
long player
long player
Russia
Posts: 2428
Joined: 29 Aug 2013 14:10
Location: from CCCP, Vladivostok

Re: Cartridge Close-Ups - Show Your Shots!

Post by Delta667 » 24 Aug 2019 15:30

I continue to enjoy my AKG. He is very expressive.
IMGP2119.JPG
(62.41 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
IMGP2125.JPG
(99.73 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
The diamond load is 1.2 g. Thanks to Ray, I will soon find out how many hours of stylus life I can count on))

billshurv
long player
long player
Posts: 2325
Joined: 16 Oct 2014 15:38

Re: Cartridge Close-Ups - Show Your Shots!

Post by billshurv » 24 Aug 2019 15:51

So does any one know the difference betwen the P8ES Nova and Super Nova?

I understand the original clear bodied P8ES as well as being rare was a completely different beast.

Delta667
long player
long player
Russia
Posts: 2428
Joined: 29 Aug 2013 14:10
Location: from CCCP, Vladivostok

Re: Cartridge Close-Ups - Show Your Shots!

Post by Delta667 » 25 Aug 2019 12:16

billshurv wrote:
24 Aug 2019 15:51
So does any one know the difference betwen the P8ES Nova and Super Nova?

I understand the original clear bodied P8ES as well as being rare was a completely different beast.
Perhaps even the AKG will not remember what the differences are. ))
Perhaps a more powerful magnet, or more turns on coils.
Productivity at Super Nova is 20% higher.

Delta667
long player
long player
Russia
Posts: 2428
Joined: 29 Aug 2013 14:10
Location: from CCCP, Vladivostok

Re: Cartridge Close-Ups - Show Your Shots!

Post by Delta667 » 25 Aug 2019 12:19

The finish line is not over the horizon.
IMGP2236.JPG
(89.98999999999999 KiB) Downloaded 91 times

balky
senior member
senior member
Belgium
Posts: 446
Joined: 28 Jun 2016 14:43
Location: Sint Niklaas

Re: Cartridge Close-Ups - Show Your Shots!

Post by balky » 26 Aug 2019 07:19

Japi Roelofs wrote:
23 Aug 2019 22:00
billshurv wrote:
23 Aug 2019 21:38
well yes you have a lightweight counterweight for me somewhere, or had you forgotten :P
Bill, if you're referring to the counterweight I sent to Balky, I have to disappoint you; it doesn't fit the Technics arm (if that's what you plan on using it on).

There is another option for the add-on weight though. It doesn't look very elegant, but it works:
https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... ct#p433206
Yes, correct... tried it anyway despite your comment... :D :D :D

Diameter just a tad too narrow for the Technics arm...

Do you have one that fits? and much lighter of course...

Delta667
long player
long player
Russia
Posts: 2428
Joined: 29 Aug 2013 14:10
Location: from CCCP, Vladivostok

Re: Cartridge Close-Ups - Show Your Shots!

Post by Delta667 » 26 Aug 2019 10:17

billshurv wrote:
24 Aug 2019 15:51
So does any one know the difference betwen the P8ES Nova and Super Nova?

I understand the original clear bodied P8ES as well as being rare was a completely different beast.
Super Nova has magnets a bit larger. Coils are the same.
Attachments
IMGP2253.JPG
(97.25 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
IMGP2251.JPG
(126.02 KiB) Downloaded 46 times

Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands
Posts: 4468
Joined: 05 Apr 2008 16:53
Location: Netherlands

Re: Cartridge Close-Ups - Show Your Shots!

Post by Japi Roelofs » 26 Aug 2019 10:32

balky wrote:
26 Aug 2019 07:19

Yes, correct... tried it anyway despite your comment... :D :D :D

Diameter just a tad too narrow for the Technics arm...

Do you have one that fits? and much lighter of course...
The position of this add-on weight on the arm tube looks a bit strange. So I think you'd want one that is either heavier, so it can be moved closer to the tonearm pivot, or lighter, so it can be moved closer to the headshell collar.

I'll check the weight of mine, and see if I can find where exactly I got it from. I'm not selling either of my weights though... just in case I want to sell on the Panasonic and keep it original.

Edit: Sorry I thought you were talking about the add-on weight, but I guess you're referring to the lighter counterweight? No I don't have one that fits...

Delta667
long player
long player
Russia
Posts: 2428
Joined: 29 Aug 2013 14:10
Location: from CCCP, Vladivostok

Re: Cartridge Close-Ups - Show Your Shots!

Post by Delta667 » 26 Aug 2019 10:48

Japi Roelofs wrote:
26 Aug 2019 10:32
balky wrote:
26 Aug 2019 07:19

Yes, correct... tried it anyway despite your comment... :D :D :D

Diameter just a tad too narrow for the Technics arm...

Do you have one that fits? and much lighter of course...
The position of this add-on weight on the arm tube looks a bit strange. So I think you'd want one that is either heavier, so it can be moved closer to the tonearm pivot, or lighter, so it can be moved closer to the headshell collar.

I'll check the weight of mine, and see if I can find where exactly I got it from. I'm not selling either of my weights though... just in case I want to sell on the Panasonic and keep it original.

Edit: Sorry I thought you were talking about the add-on weight, but I guess you're referring to the lighter counterweight? No I don't have one that fits...
A drill, a file, two hands and a little imagination and an additional load is ready ))

Post Reply