yarvelling
England

Re: Thorens 150 mk2 & goldring elektra

Post by yarvelling » 17 Oct 2019 18:44

Mr Pig wrote:
02 Oct 2019 17:31
yarvelling wrote:
02 Oct 2019 16:18
Mind, someone else also mention the AT3600.... an amazing little cartridge if you get the carbon fibre/plastic cantilever version...though I have found that using the Rega Carbon stylus instead actually does improve things even more!
The AT-3600L and the Rega Carbon are the same cart.
Yeah...Supposedly.
Rega has done 'something' to it (though they don't say what), and there is a difference between the AT original stylus, and the Rega Carbon version:- it just sounds a bit more 'refined', and certainly, as per Rega's specifications, it tracks perfectly at 1.75 grams, whereas Audio Technica recommend anywhere from 2.5 to 3.5 grams for the same carbon fibre/plastic cantilever stylus... so apparently Rega have modified it to use a more compliant version? Whatever, it sounds better; both in it's original 'Rega' cartridge body, and in an 'AT' branded cartridge body (no difference between cartridge bodies).....
Well, that's what I've found from having tried them..... The AT version is great; the Rega stylus makes for an improved sound. Currently trying an AT/Rega combo in my Project Primary deck, instead of the factory-fitted Ortofon OM5E (which I like), and the AT/Rega has so much more 'life' about it.... the acrylic platter and Project clamp had slightly deadened the overall Ortofon's sound, but now with the AT/Rega, it is just so much more revealing, and with a wider, more stable, 3D stereo image.
In my Rega RP1, the factory-fitted Carbon sounds great:- so alive, and even on the AT-LP120USB, it's a big improvement over the factory-supplied AT95E..... (the new AT-VM95E is a different story though....that is a very nice sounding budget cartridge upgrade over the original).
So for a bargain-basement, dirt-cheap cartridge, the AT3600 is a very capable performer; there is nothing in a similar price that can compete:- and quite a few more expensive cartridges don't come close either (see other posts), but Rega have certainly worked on the stylus portion to further improve it, and allow it to track lighter than AT's spec..... and they must have a certain faith in it by partnering it with a few of their decks; they wouldn't want a cheap cr@p cartridge harming their good reputation would they?

Boltman92124

Post by Boltman92124 » 17 Oct 2019 18:54

Carbon owners should compare and try out the CF3600le stylus from LP Gear. Comment above makes me want to try a Carbon stylus too.

Mr Pig
Scotland

Post by Mr Pig » 17 Oct 2019 19:40

yarvelling wrote:
17 Oct 2019 18:44
Currently trying an AT/Rega combo in my Project Primary deck, instead of the factory-fitted Ortofon OM5E (which I like), and the AT/Rega has so much more 'life' about it....
I think it's a shame that ProJect have to use those entry Ortofons as I don't think they're very well suited to the decks. Both have a dull, soft sound which means the combo sounds dead. An AT cart is much better match. When I fix these little ProJect decks I put a 3600L on them. Sounds a lot better.

yarvelling
England

Post by yarvelling » 21 Oct 2019 22:07

Mr Pig wrote:
17 Oct 2019 19:40
yarvelling wrote:
17 Oct 2019 18:44
Currently trying an AT/Rega combo in my Project Primary deck, instead of the factory-fitted Ortofon OM5E (which I like), and the AT/Rega has so much more 'life' about it....
I think it's a shame that ProJect have to use those entry Ortofons as I don't think they're very well suited to the decks. Both have a dull, soft sound which means the combo sounds dead. An AT cart is much better match. When I fix these little ProJect decks I put a 3600L on them. Sounds a lot better.
Yeah... you're right. The Ortofon cartridge in those Project decks sound good, but if you look closely, there's almost no clearance between the bottom of the cartridge and the record when tracking at the recommended weight!!
Those lower-end Project decks need some VTA adjustment from the factory!!
The AT3600; being the same weight as the OM-5E (incl. mass weight), when mounted, gives a much better VTA for the stylus:- it's no longer a "tail-dragger" as it plays, and as such, gives a much more lively, engaging sound....
Partly from the VTA correction, and also from what I perceive as a much more open, bright and clean presentation from the AT3600 (especially with the Carbon stylus fitted!).

Mr Pig
Scotland

Post by Mr Pig » 22 Oct 2019 18:09

yarvelling wrote:
21 Oct 2019 22:07
Those lower-end Project decks need some VTA adjustment from the factory!
The cheap unipivot arm actually had it but it was not obvious. Clearly wasn't intended to be a user adjustment.