Golden era MMs in the 21st century

the thin end of the wedge
Post Reply
billshurv
long player
long player
Posts: 2587
Joined: 16 Oct 2014 15:38

Re: Golden era MMs in the 21st century

Post by billshurv » 14 Oct 2019 13:30

The credit is all to Dmitry. I just had some spare funds I could sneak past the boss one month :)

wolfie62
long player
long player
United States of America
Posts: 1145
Joined: 04 Jan 2017 15:47
Location: Birmingham

Re: Golden era MMs in the 21st century

Post by wolfie62 » 14 Oct 2019 13:58

I really enjoyed playing my NAD cart over the weekend. So smooth and full.

I made an offer to Turntable Needles, for info on the NAD line. We’ll see if they even respond. But I’m not giving it to them for free. Not when they want $165 for the NAD 93 Stylus!
ABBA6F28-758F-44B5-B36F-D293E8F96EA1.jpeg
(150.33 KiB) Downloaded 94 times

Bertel69
junior member
junior member
Germany
Posts: 21
Joined: 29 Jul 2019 17:10

Re: Golden era MMs in the 21st century

Post by Bertel69 » 14 Oct 2019 14:36

wolfie62 wrote:
14 Oct 2019 13:58
I made an offer to Turntable Needles, for info on the NAD line. We’ll see if they even respond. But I’m not giving it to them for free. Not when they want $165 for the NAD 93 Stylus!
Wolfie, did you see this offering:
https://www.stylusplus.co.uk/nad-9300-r ... 7172-p.asp
It says „Manufacturer: NAD“, and a previous buyer (ok, back in 2013...) confirmed it to be original, here:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogu ... ridge.html
I just bought one, let‘s see, too cheap to not give it a try.
I don‘t have an NAD cartridge body, but several ADC from original XLM to late ZLM times, so would expect to find one that fits.

billshurv
long player
long player
Posts: 2587
Joined: 16 Oct 2014 15:38

Re: Golden era MMs in the 21st century

Post by billshurv » 14 Oct 2019 14:44

@Bertel: Quite a collection you have there. Any other Jewels you wish to share with us :)?

2002afan
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 400
Joined: 29 Jan 2018 01:45
Location: Gainesville, Virginia

Re: Golden era MMs in the 21st century

Post by 2002afan » 14 Oct 2019 15:23

Bertel69 wrote:
14 Oct 2019 14:36
wolfie62 wrote:
14 Oct 2019 13:58
I made an offer to Turntable Needles, for info on the NAD line. We’ll see if they even respond. But I’m not giving it to them for free. Not when they want $165 for the NAD 93 Stylus!
Wolfie, did you see this offering:
https://www.stylusplus.co.uk/nad-9300-r ... 7172-p.asp
It says „Manufacturer: NAD“, and a previous buyer (ok, back in 2013...) confirmed it to be original, here:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogu ... ridge.html
I just bought one, let‘s see, too cheap to not give it a try.
I don‘t have an NAD cartridge body, but several ADC from original XLM to late ZLM times, so would expect to find one that fits.
It will fit on all of those generators. Right now there are various NOS genuine ADC stylus (in Pfanstiehl packaging) on eBay USA including a Shibata. 8) 249.00 ouch. :cry: See below.
Cheers,
WillO
Attachments
ADC shibata.jpg
(119.79 KiB) Downloaded 79 times

balky
senior member
senior member
Belgium
Posts: 486
Joined: 28 Jun 2016 14:43
Location: Sint Niklaas

Re: Golden era MMs in the 21st century

Post by balky » 14 Oct 2019 15:34

billshurv wrote:
14 Oct 2019 10:06
Blame Balky. There were some spare inserts lying around and I couldn't resist experimenting.
Still trailing right behind you, but maybe not too far off... :D

Quite a bit of experiments out here I must say... :D

There just seems to be no boundaries as far as Dmitry is concerned...

Still waiting for my AT-25 to come back before I can try the 152-LC insert... :D

wolfie62
long player
long player
United States of America
Posts: 1145
Joined: 04 Jan 2017 15:47
Location: Birmingham

Re: Golden era MMs in the 21st century

Post by wolfie62 » 14 Oct 2019 16:18

Bertel69 wrote:
14 Oct 2019 14:36
wolfie62 wrote:
14 Oct 2019 13:58
I made an offer to Turntable Needles, for info on the NAD line. We’ll see if they even respond. But I’m not giving it to them for free. Not when they want $165 for the NAD 93 Stylus!
Wolfie, did you see this offering:
https://www.stylusplus.co.uk/nad-9300-r ... 7172-p.asp
It says „Manufacturer: NAD“, and a previous buyer (ok, back in 2013...) confirmed it to be original, here:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogu ... ridge.html
I just bought one, let‘s see, too cheap to not give it a try.
I don‘t have an NAD cartridge body, but several ADC from original XLM to late ZLM times, so would expect to find one that fits.
Unfortunately, that is DEFINITELY a knockoff Stylus, not genuine at all!

And on the DIYaudio link, a poster said he is 70% sure that the NAD 9300 is a rebadged QLM 32 MKIII. WRONG! So wrong!

The photo below is the stylus you’re recommending. It does not have the NAD logo, it does not have the stylus guard, it has the sloped nose, not the flat nose with the shorter and more powerful magnet. It’s a cheap imposter.
5F88BBAB-0D60-4B4D-9701-E501C797991B.jpeg
(47.42 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
The real styli look like these:
B9C52900-6DA9-4EA1-9513-75A50F4EE2C2.jpeg
(80.25 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
9DA238DF-A88E-474C-AB01-71FB54B0141F.jpeg
(80.16 KiB) Downloaded 71 times

Bertel69
junior member
junior member
Germany
Posts: 21
Joined: 29 Jul 2019 17:10

Re: Golden era MMs in the 21st century

Post by Bertel69 » 14 Oct 2019 17:14

Oh my… Thanks Wolfie for the clarification! Would have been too good to be true, wouldn't it... ;-)

wolfie62
long player
long player
United States of America
Posts: 1145
Joined: 04 Jan 2017 15:47
Location: Birmingham

Re: Golden era MMs in the 21st century

Post by wolfie62 » 14 Oct 2019 18:00

Oh, and I did buy one of the genuine ADC styli in the Pfanstiehl package. What’s not to like for $30, shipped, with a nude diamond?

2002afan
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 400
Joined: 29 Jan 2018 01:45
Location: Gainesville, Virginia

Re: Golden era MMs in the 21st century

Post by 2002afan » 14 Oct 2019 18:04

wolfie62 wrote:
14 Oct 2019 16:18
Bertel69 wrote:
14 Oct 2019 14:36
wolfie62 wrote:
14 Oct 2019 13:58
I made an offer to Turntable Needles, for info on the NAD line. We’ll see if they even respond. But I’m not giving it to them for free. Not when they want $165 for the NAD 93 Stylus!
Wolfie, did you see this offering:
https://www.stylusplus.co.uk/nad-9300-r ... 7172-p.asp
It says „Manufacturer: NAD“, and a previous buyer (ok, back in 2013...) confirmed it to be original, here:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogu ... ridge.html
I just bought one, let‘s see, too cheap to not give it a try.
I don‘t have an NAD cartridge body, but several ADC from original XLM to late ZLM times, so would expect to find one that fits.
Unfortunately, that is DEFINITELY a knockoff Stylus, not genuine at all!

And on the DIYaudio link, a poster said he is 70% sure that the NAD 9300 is a rebadged QLM 32 MKIII. WRONG! So wrong!

The photo below is the stylus you’re recommending. It does not have the NAD logo, it does not have the stylus guard, it has the sloped nose, not the flat nose with the shorter and more powerful magnet. It’s a cheap imposter.

5F88BBAB-0D60-4B4D-9701-E501C797991B.jpeg

The real styli look like these:B9C52900-6DA9-4EA1-9513-75A50F4EE2C2.jpeg9DA238DF-A88E-474C-AB01-71FB54B0141F.jpeg
Wolfie, Do the NAD generators differ from the ADC carts in anyway? If not, what would be the ADC equivalent? That Shibata stylus has you name on it. :P
Cheers,
WillO
WillO

wolfie62
long player
long player
United States of America
Posts: 1145
Joined: 04 Jan 2017 15:47
Location: Birmingham

Re: Golden era MMs in the 21st century

Post by wolfie62 » 14 Oct 2019 21:11

From the Google results, I seem to be the only one with a copy of specs for the NAD bodies. I’m waiting to see if TTN is willing to offer me a deal in return for a copy of the specs. If they aren’t interested, then I’ll see what I may do. Don’t know why TTN wants $165 for the stylus, but expects a free copy of specs from the same person that needs a stylus.

From Turntable Needles website:

Oh, and the 9300 stylus is NOT compatible with the 9100 body. Different generator. If they had the specs, they would know that.
53676628-FFE4-4325-A621-C2982E2F13EA.jpeg
(150.33 KiB) Downloaded 45 times

dagfinn
senior member
senior member
Norway
Posts: 300
Joined: 09 Jun 2019 00:29

Re: Golden era MMs in the 21st century

Post by dagfinn » 14 Oct 2019 22:29

2002afan wrote:
14 Oct 2019 13:02
Bill and Dmitry are way out there. :P Real nice work. =P~ You may not want to give it back. :lol:
:lol: , that's for sure. (All of the above ;))
2002afan wrote:
14 Oct 2019 13:02
Never know about the Signets as they were all hand built.
Interesting, I didn't know that. Makes the Signets even more precious to me.
2002afan wrote:
14 Oct 2019 13:02
I would think the diamonds are very similar if not the same. I really just wanted the 5's generator and he gave me a good deal. Another gentleman had one too with the original stylus but he wouldn't budge on the price. His rating wasn't too good either. :roll: I always take that into account as should all buyers.
Hm, yeah, don't have much experience there, but I seem to subscibe to the same sellers as other members of the forum :lol:. But I hear your advice. Must get a TK5Ea! :lol:

billshurv
long player
long player
Posts: 2587
Joined: 16 Oct 2014 15:38

Re: Golden era MMs in the 21st century

Post by billshurv » 14 Oct 2019 23:11

well I can tell you who to avoid, not for the quality of their product, but for the safety of your wallet :)

2002afan
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 400
Joined: 29 Jan 2018 01:45
Location: Gainesville, Virginia

Re: Golden era MMs in the 21st century

Post by 2002afan » 15 Oct 2019 01:39

billshurv wrote:
14 Oct 2019 23:11
well I can tell you who to avoid, not for the quality of their product, but for the safety of your wallet :)
Bill, If I was a betting man, my money would be on? :lol:
Cheers,
WillO

2002afan
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 400
Joined: 29 Jan 2018 01:45
Location: Gainesville, Virginia

Re: Golden era MMs in the 21st century

Post by 2002afan » 15 Oct 2019 02:17

dagfinn wrote:
14 Oct 2019 22:29
2002afan wrote:
14 Oct 2019 13:02
Bill and Dmitry are way out there. :P Real nice work. =P~ You may not want to give it back. :lol:
:lol: , that's for sure. (All of the above ;))
2002afan wrote:
14 Oct 2019 13:02
Never know about the Signets as they were all hand built.
Interesting, I didn't know that. Makes the Signets even more precious to me.
2002afan wrote:
14 Oct 2019 13:02
I would think the diamonds are very similar if not the same. I really just wanted the 5's generator and he gave me a good deal. Another gentleman had one too with the original stylus but he wouldn't budge on the price. His rating wasn't too good either. :roll: I always take that into account as should all buyers.
Hm, yeah, don't have much experience there, but I seem to subscibe to the same sellers as other members of the forum :lol:. But I hear your advice. Must get a TK5Ea! :lol:
Yes, Signet was like the Lexus of Toyota. :P The TK5Ea,TK7Ea and TK7LCa are the generators to look for. As seen in the chart provided by chiz, the TK9Ea and TK9LCa outputs are much higher and present a whole different set of challenges as it relates to getting the cartridge to sound it's best. :idea: If you don't already know, a good place to see what HI-Fi equipment is for sell world wide is Hifishark.com. Just put what you are looking for in the search and sit back and enjoy. =P~
I've been burned on eBay before :oops: not from anyone on here, I don't think. :lol:
Cheers,
WillO

Post Reply