really impressed with the goldring g800, what would upgrade but sound similar in gl75?

the thin end of the wedge
gramophonic
United States of America

really impressed with the goldring g800, what would upgrade but sound similar in gl75?

Post by gramophonic » 23 Sep 2019 05:50

Alright, time for me to eat a bit of humble pie! Even though I really like the goldring g800 for 78s, I didn't think it was much good with lps. I was very wrong! it turns out that this cart sounds very clear and bright with orchestral recordings, which is what I want, it sounds in some ways better than my pro-ject debut carbon with the 2m blue, more high-end but not quite as much bass, the pro-ject sounds a bit more crammed in...
Some piano passages distort with the g800. I've altered the tracking every which way and it gets better but doesn't go away. I'm just using the stock (nos) stylus that came with it, could this be why? the good old m44-7 with expert paratrace doesn't distort with the same configuration.
So, what I'm asking is what is the upgrade path from here? I want something similar to the g800, just a bit better, I'm not sure how to describe what I'm looking for other than a bit more depth. Should I upgrade the stylus or was there a good more high-end goldring cart?
I hope this makes sense!
I'm stuck with the stock gl75 arm as I have a lot of expencive stylie for those headshells...
I can post audio comparisons if that would interest anybody. With the pro-ject ortofon combo things like tambourines are buried and kind of harsh sounding, the g800 seems to bring everything out! I can't believe I've had this for so long and not tried playing lps with it.
At this point it wouldn't take much for me to entirely ditch the pro-ject and get another gl75 to replace it with, with a retipped g800...

KentT
long player
long player

Re: really impressed with the goldring g800, what would upgrade but sound similar in gl75?

Post by KentT » 24 Sep 2019 02:34

Stick to the M 44-7 then, fine with the L 75 stock tonearm. Works well for me. I enjoy it for vintage LP, 45 RPM, and 78 RPM disc playback. For newer vinyl, I love the Shure M 75 (Jico in Japan has styli comparable to and sometimes better then originals too). Both work superbly on stock Lenco L 75 tonearms in good working order. They track well, are musical.

4clicks
Philippines

Re: really impressed with the goldring g800, what would upgrade but sound similar in gl75?

Post by 4clicks » 24 Sep 2019 08:21

gramophonic wrote:
23 Sep 2019 05:50
Alright, time for me to eat a bit of humble pie! Even though I really like the goldring g800 for 78s, I didn't think it was much good with lps. I was very wrong! it turns out that this cart sounds very clear and bright with orchestral recordings, which is what I want, it sounds in some ways better than my pro-ject debut carbon with the 2m blue, more high-end but not quite as much bass, the pro-ject sounds a bit more crammed in...
Some piano passages distort with the g800. I've altered the tracking every which way and it gets better but doesn't go away. I'm just using the stock (nos) stylus that came with it, could this be why? the good old m44-7 with expert paratrace doesn't distort with the same configuration.
So, what I'm asking is what is the upgrade path from here? I want something similar to the g800, just a bit better, I'm not sure how to describe what I'm looking for other than a bit more depth. Should I upgrade the stylus or was there a good more high-end goldring cart?
I hope this makes sense!
Try searching for reviews of G800 and how they tweaked the loading parameters to optimize and suit their personal sound preference. One thing I can remember is that they loaded it at 100Kohm meaning you have to use a switchable phono preamp with variable loading parameters and another is using ellipticals SE stylus if I remember it right. G800 is magnet induced cartridge and so far from what I have read cartridges mentioned by enthusiasts to produce sound closest to LOMCs are actually variations of MI design. If I have the money Ill upgrade to a good switchable phono preamp if I dont have one as I can still play with it using different cartridges and find which one will suit my ears.. Nothing to lose there.

nigel1360
England

Post by nigel1360 » 24 Sep 2019 09:42

I am currently using a G800 with a NOS Super E stylus. The cartridge is a bit of an unsung hero I think. My suggestion would be to look for the uprated stylus or have it re-tipped.

gramophonic
United States of America

Post by gramophonic » 24 Sep 2019 18:28

I'm really enjoying this cart and just got a g800E stylus from thatsaudio on ebay.
I'm noticing a lot more sibilence (clippy s's) with the eliptical, to the point where I'm thinking of using it 98% for instrumental records. Anyone else noticed this? it isn't my tracking as it's such a narrow window to have that stylus/cart sound good!
to me the conical might sound better on an awful lot of records especially vocal ones.

4clicks
Philippines

Post by 4clicks » 27 Sep 2019 10:26

gramophonic wrote:
24 Sep 2019 18:28
I'm really enjoying this cart and just got a g800E stylus from thatsaudio on ebay.
I'm noticing a lot more sibilence (clippy s's) with the eliptical, to the point where I'm thinking of using it 98% for instrumental records. Anyone else noticed this? it isn't my tracking as it's such a narrow window to have that stylus/cart sound good!
to me the conical might sound better on an awful lot of records especially vocal ones.
You might find some insights from this link:

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ ... 00.612250/