Pre-phono choice

the thin end of the wedge
enzo76
Italy

Pre-phono choice

Post by enzo76 » 21 Sep 2019 17:51

Goodmorning everyone. I just joined your forum, I find very interesting arguments and suggestions.
I wanted to start by asking you some questions for the purchase of my next pre-phono.
My system is composed of:
Pro-Ject 2Experince SB turntable with Ortofon Super OM 40 head.
MAP 303 II Advance Acoustic Amplifier
JM LAB 816 COBALT diffusers.
Rega MM MKII Pre-phono.
In the future I wanted to buy a Hana SL and since my pre-phono is only MM, I wanted to replace it with one that could handle both MM and MC and my choices fell on these models:
MX-Vynl
Sonneteer Sedley
Rega Aria
MUSICAL SURROUNDINGS NOVA II.
Thanks for your suggestions and I wish you all good music.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Pre-phono choice

Post by jdjohn » 23 Sep 2019 00:57

Hi Enzo, and welcome to VE. Honestly, those all look like very nice phono preamps. It might be difficult to find a person who has heard all of them. If your turntable (and cartridge) were Rega, I would say get the Rega Aria preamp. A friend of mine has all Rega phono gear, and he really likes it.

The only one of those I've researched is the Musical Surroundings Nova II. I really like the battery power option it provides...it should be very quiet with a low noise floor. It would probably be my choice from your list.

enzo76
Italy

Post by enzo76 » 23 Sep 2019 15:54

Thanks for the advice, they are fairly well-known brands, I hope someone has had experiences with other pre.

Landolaman1
Great Britain

Post by Landolaman1 » 23 Sep 2019 17:26

enzo76 wrote:
23 Sep 2019 15:54
Thanks for the advice, they are fairly well-known brands, I hope someone has had experiences with other pre.
Hi Enzo, i managed to buy a Cambridge Audio CP2 a couple of weeks ago from Richer sounds. Never had a pre amp before but i wish i had. Don't know if they're available in your neck of the woods. They were selling them off as end of line stock for £99.00. It handles both MM & MC and i must say that i can definitely tell a positive difference in the sound delivery!
Just another bone to chew over.
Regards, Neil.

andybeau
long player
long player
England

Post by andybeau » 23 Sep 2019 18:46

I have the Musical Fidelity MX-VYNL Phono Stage and it works, plenty of adjustments and easy to adjust.

tane0019
Singapore

Post by tane0019 » 24 Sep 2019 15:16

Sorry "enzo76" in hijacking your tread. I am also looking for a pre.

Was looking at only a few candidates because I need two line out (one for my ADC and another for my int amp).

Thinking of getting the MX-VYNL pre, is it possible to use both the XLR and RCA out at the same time?

]eep
Netherlands

Post by ]eep » 24 Sep 2019 15:27

Not all phono-amps that support MC will give you the expected quality increase that you would expect from switching to low output. Especially the less expensive ones use it for marketing. The extra amplification needed for low output MC's really take lot of attention to detail and quality. So if you look for reviews, don't just look at ratings or stars but you need to specifically need to read about its quality with MC.
That said, all your suggestions are a step above the 'affordable' bracket so all I can say is: read. I rather like to go by professional reviews since it's rather hazardous to go by user reviews. Everybody likes his buy best or burns it because of some user error/inexperience. I'm exaggerating of course, but in general professional reviewers do have a lot of experience comparing.
From Analog planet I remember the MF vynl was chosen last by readers in a comparison. Just FYI.

Normally I would also advise to have a look at an MC-transformer but given the high impedance of the Hana SL that's not a good option (as in; the Hana is no option for me since I like my tranny so much better than any active MC pre).

enzo76
Italy

Post by enzo76 » 24 Sep 2019 16:46

At this point the question is: should you invest in a good MM head and a discreet pre-phono or enter the world of MC and I don't know where to go?

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 24 Sep 2019 18:45

Satisfaction can be elusive, if looking for next level mc is natural progression.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 24 Sep 2019 21:51

And it usually doesn't stop with just one MC.

Cossack

Post by Cossack » 25 Sep 2019 14:56

You could consider a two-box system; starting out with a MM only stage and adding an MC step-up when the time comes to change to LOMC. This should mean you are getting more "bang for buck" out of your phono stage whilst you are in MM mode (as you are not paying for circuitry you are not using). The "upgrade" to MC is not universally upheld and you may think that, with a better MM phono a decent MM cartridge upgrade might satisfy you (and save you money)..

If you want to check out two box systems you could do worse than check out the ranges from Graham Slee and Rothwell.

That said I have a AT OC9/III running through a Trichord Dino 3 (which is a switchable unit) and I am really happy with the sound (low noise floor, great soundstage, really delicate decay) and these do offer a really comprehensive upgrade path through power supply upgrades etc..

Another stage to add to your list if you decide to go for a switchable unit is the iFi iPhono 2 which seems to receive universal and very high praise.

syzygy
United States of America

Post by syzygy » 25 Sep 2019 16:47

Find a used Simaudio LP5.3.

Collux
Australia

Post by Collux » 25 Sep 2019 22:00

This is a nice inexpensive DIY offering.
https://www.muffsy.com/
I know this approach does not appeal to all but I am sure you could get an 'electronic' friend to build a unit for you.
You can go MM only or MM + MC down the track:
https://www.muffsy.com/mm-mc-options.html

enzo76
Italy

Post by enzo76 » 29 Sep 2019 12:00

But, by chance, isn't it that I'm freaking out looking for an MC pre-phono and maybe with an MM I have it myself?
Why the question is: at the same price and always true that an MC head sounds better than an MM head? Because otherwise I see everything.

enzo76
Italy

Post by enzo76 » 05 Oct 2019 08:31

Hello, if you had to choose between the Rega Aria and the Musical Fidelity MX-VYNL?