Ortofon OM3E...

the thin end of the wedge
justjed0001
United States of America

Ortofon OM3E...

Post by justjed0001 » 15 Sep 2019 22:18

Almost amazed at how good this cheap cart sounds! It came on a Technics SL-1800, and I immediately removed it, and replaced it with a 2M Blue. The 3E sat for almost 2 years, before I got ambitious today :shock: , and mounted it on my Pioneer PL-514. Alignment was a piece of cake, and now I have vinyl capability in my computer set-up. Will be getting a 5E stylus soon, but for now, I'm a happy camper!

donovan

Re: Ortofon OM3E...

Post by donovan » 16 Sep 2019 01:57

Didn't like the Ortofon OM series at first. I bought a Ortofon Super OM10 last year and mounted it on my HK table and I'm VERY impressed.

justjed0001
United States of America

Post by justjed0001 » 16 Sep 2019 02:40

The SL-1800 in my main system has been getting all the love for the last couple of years, I almost forgot about the OM3E. It sounds surprisingly good through the Klipsch sat/sub speakers in the man-cave. Don't know that I would put it in the main system, but it's surprisingly competent, considering the low price. Looks kinda weird, but it's all about the sound...

justjed0001
United States of America

Post by justjed0001 » 17 Sep 2019 00:52

Well, I went one step beyond. I was going to get an OM5e stylus, but my dealer gave me a really good deal on an OM10 stylus and it's WAAAY better than the OM3E. Smoother, tighter bass, less brash highs, lower surface noise, really just a nicer sound overall. For $35, I'm quite pleased!

Mr Pig
Scotland

Post by Mr Pig » 17 Sep 2019 08:22

I don't think there is anything wrong with the cheaper OM carts but I've never wanted to listen to one for very long. Spending a little more gets you places.

Pauw
Netherlands

Post by Pauw » 17 Sep 2019 09:41

This thread ties in nicely with the "Cartridge vs Turntable " and supplies independent support for the idea that if you have a good turntable and arm, you don't need to spend a lot, to get good performance from a cartridge....The OM series is a good example of this ( sadly there are many who knock the Ortofon OM series....wonder if that reflects on their ability to recognise what a good turntable/arm is ?)

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 17 Sep 2019 10:41

Pauw wrote:
17 Sep 2019 09:41
This thread ties in nicely with the "Cartridge vs Turntable " and supplies independent support for the idea that if you have a good turntable and arm, you don't need to spend a lot, to get good performance from a cartridge....The OM series is a good example of this ( sadly there are many who knock the Ortofon OM series....wonder if that reflects on their ability to recognise what a good turntable/arm is ?)
I so many carts, what you realise when you hear,so many is the difference between the best and the worst is small, the rest of the gear is probably far more important.

Pauw
Netherlands

Post by Pauw » 17 Sep 2019 10:44

+1

Mr Pig
Scotland

Post by Mr Pig » 17 Sep 2019 17:11

cafe latte wrote:
17 Sep 2019 10:41
I so many carts, what you realise when you hear,so many is the difference between the best and the worst is small...
Actually, I think you could say that about many Hi-Fi components. Last week I has a Rega P1 Plus and RP10 set up and working side by side. Yes, the RP10 is better but four grand better? Not really. The biggest noticeable difference is in the speed stability but the little P1 is a cracking record player for the money.

I think we can get sucked into such an introverted Hi-Fi world that we lose perspective and happily pay huge amounts of money for very small upgrades. Upgrades which make little or no difference to the enjoyment of the music.

raphaelmabo
long player
long player
Sweden

Post by raphaelmabo » 17 Sep 2019 17:52

My TD280 came with the OM5B (B as in bulk). Factory mounted. It sounded good, but I wanted something better. I found the OM20 to be in a different league. So much better in every aspect. Then I tried some other cartridges and found - in comparision - that the OM was a bit too neutral and dry for my taste.

But they are solid performers on a wide range of music.

andybeau
long player
long player
England

Post by andybeau » 17 Sep 2019 18:46

raphaelmabo wrote:
17 Sep 2019 17:52
My TD280 came with the OM5B (B as in bulk). Factory mounted. It sounded good, but I wanted something better. I found the OM20 to be in a different league. So much better in every aspect. Then I tried some other cartridges and found - in comparision - that the OM was a bit too neutral and dry for my taste.

But they are solid performers on a wide range of music.
This is one of the reasons I like the OM series, like all things in life different strokes for different folks.

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 17 Sep 2019 22:27

Mr Pig wrote:
17 Sep 2019 17:11
cafe latte wrote:
17 Sep 2019 10:41
I so many carts, what you realise when you hear,so many is the difference between the best and the worst is small...
Actually, I think you could say that about many Hi-Fi components. Last week I has a Rega P1 Plus and RP10 set up and working side by side. Yes, the RP10 is better but four grand better? Not really. The biggest noticeable difference is in the speed stability but the little P1 is a cracking record player for the money.

I think we can get sucked into such an introverted Hi-Fi world that we lose perspective and happily pay huge amounts of money for very small upgrades. Upgrades which make little or no difference to the enjoyment of the music.
Yes you are right, but if all else is right ie really good speakers turntable, amp etc then different carts really make much smaller differences than you would believe. My first rude awakening with this was when I bought a AT3600l as it was being discussed on a forum so just to know how it sounded I bought one. I still remember lowering the stylus for the first time and sitting in the listening position thinking OMG. Yes I have a lot of better sounding carts, but this little gem had cost me 15 bucks! I still listen to it from time to time as it does so many things right. Another experiment was putting the lowly AT95e on my sp10mk2 with Eminent air arm, the AT95e sounded like it had never before stunning how good, proving that if all else is right the lowest of carts can sing.
There is a lot in an amp or in a turntable that can be different, but all carts are coils and moving magnets or fixed magnets and moving coils, with a few cantilever materials and a few stylus cuts, oversimplifying I suppose but there really is only so many ways to skin a cat.
Chris

Mr Pig
Scotland

Post by Mr Pig » 17 Sep 2019 22:35

cafe latte wrote:
17 Sep 2019 22:27
My first rude awakening with this was when I bought a AT3600l as it was being discussed on a forum so just to know how it sounded I bought one. I still remember lowering the stylus for the first time and sitting in the listening position thinking OMG.
Yes, I've been buying AT-3600Ls direct from China to put on budget turntables I fix up, I always have a few here. Put one on my RP10, just had to, and yeah, fairly impressive. Don't get me wrong, it's still a pretty flawed little animal but it costs how much??

donovan

Post by donovan » 17 Sep 2019 23:20

Mr Pig wrote:
17 Sep 2019 22:35
cafe latte wrote:
17 Sep 2019 22:27
My first rude awakening with this was when I bought a AT3600l as it was being discussed on a forum so just to know how it sounded I bought one. I still remember lowering the stylus for the first time and sitting in the listening position thinking OMG.
Yes, I've been buying AT-3600Ls direct from China to put on budget turntables I fix up, I always have a few here. Put one on my RP10, just had to, and yeah, fairly impressive. Don't get me wrong, it's still a pretty flawed little animal but it costs how much??
Best under $40.00 cart out there in my opinion.

justjed0001
United States of America

Post by justjed0001 » 18 Sep 2019 00:37

Cheap is relative. But I have had good luck with cheap. Prior to the 2M Bronze, and the jury is still out until it develops some character, my favorite cart has been a Shure/Realistic R47XT, about $30 in 1980. I put an $80 LP Gear HE stylus on it, so it's not really cheap anymore, but it's much better than the 2M Blue. More detail, and a good overall tonal balance. The Bronze is even better, no doubt, tho I don't yet know if it's going to be my new favorite for just listening.

But, for the 2nd system, the PL-514 and OM10 is a pretty sweet rig...