tell me about CREEK OBH-8 ?

the thin end of the wedge
pinenut

tell me about CREEK OBH-8 ?

Post by pinenut » 15 Sep 2019 20:28

Hey folks, I’m curious about the inexpensive Creek OBH-8 phono preamp. Not the new MK2 version or the SE, but the original OBH-8. Just wondering if you’ve been happy with one in the past, whether you’re still using one, and if they can be modified to sound better with some internal parts swapping.

Do they offer good detail in stock form? Quiet running?

Agrippa
Norway

Re: tell me about CREEK OBH-8 ?

Post by Agrippa » 16 Sep 2019 08:39

I had an OBH-8 a long, long time ago and I was very happy with it. Very good in terms of soundstage and microdynamics, as well as being very neutral in presentation. Pretty sure it was also dead quiet.

It being a so long ago I can't say much more than that, not can I provide a meaningful comparison to current stuff, but hopefully others with more current experience will chime in.

james73_2008
long player
long player
Scotland

Post by james73_2008 » 16 Sep 2019 19:12

I bought one in 1997 and I'm still using it! I bought the "upgraded" PSU shortly after buying it, the OBH-1 was the stock PSU and the OBH-2 the upgraded version.

I had it initially on trial alongside the Rotel RQ970BX. Whilst the Rotel sounded nice with a warm full bass, it couldn't match the Creek in terms of midrange detail. Details lept out of the speakers using the Creek, whereas I had to actively listen out for the same details on the Rotel. I remember remarking before on this subject, the Rotel made my records sound like CD (which some may like) but the Creek made my records come alive.

As for improving it by replacing internal parts: I'm not much cop at soldering and I know the square root of b****r all about electronics so I've not made any changes to it.

James H

pinenut

Post by pinenut » 16 Sep 2019 20:45

Thanks, guys!
You have convinced me to give one a try so I just grabbed a cheap one off ebay. It’s the plain OBH-8, not the SE, and it comes with the standard power supply. I’ll try it stock first and maybe then on batteries after that.