help . I need some cartridge upgrade advice !

the thin end of the wedge
BeardyPine

help . I need some cartridge upgrade advice !

Post by BeardyPine » 15 Sep 2019 14:17

Hello there ! Id like to ask for your advice on this certain matter . Now , i own the Pro-ject primary turntable , which is a 'plug n play' turntable , meaning the weight is fixed perfectly , the cartridge is aligned already and generally everything is prefixed , which is great , except now that i want an upgrade , i dont know if it will work. I was thinking about upgrading to the OM 10 or OM 20 cartridge ( i currently have the OM 5e , prefitted) . The cartridge can be aligned and all , and the weight can be unscrewed and fixed , but this turntable doesnt have an antiskate mechanism , will i have a problem with that ? Or if any of you has any experience on this matter , i'll gladly welcome any help . Will i encounter any other problems ? Thanks!

georgesgiralt
France

Re: help . I need some cartridge upgrade advice !

Post by georgesgiralt » 15 Sep 2019 14:27

Hello,
If you already have an OM5e fitted, switching to the OM10 or OM20 is just a matter of changing the stylus, hence nothing more than adjusting, if needs be, the tracking force.
Ont his Ortofon range all generators are the same. Only the stylus change.
Hope this helps.

BeardyPine

Post by BeardyPine » 15 Sep 2019 15:04

It does indeed help , i did know that , although the OM 10 cartridge has better coils and stuff inside , so just changing the stylus is an upgrade , but its an even bigger upgrade if you change the cartridge also , and its like around 15 euro more and some extra trouble away . Though with this specific turntable , i wonder how much of a bother this ' extra trouble ' may be :/ Any help is again gladly welcome !

raphaelmabo
long player
long player
Sweden

Post by raphaelmabo » 15 Sep 2019 15:13

BeardyPine wrote:
15 Sep 2019 15:04
It does indeed help , i did know that , although the OM 10 cartridge has better coils and stuff inside , so just changing the stylus is an upgrade , but its an even bigger upgrade if you change the cartridge also , and its like around 15 euro more and some extra trouble away . Though with this specific turntable , i wonder how much of a bother this ' extra trouble ' may be :/ Any help is again gladly welcome !
No, there exist only one OM body. So when you buy an OM 10 cartridge, you get a standard OM body with the OM 10 stylus. There is no such thing as a OM 10 body. The whole OM series uses the same body, one body. Only the stylus differs. So it's therefore utterly pointless to buy an OM 10 cartridge (OM body + OM 10 stylus) when you already have an OM body.

Actually, Ortofon doesn't sell the OM 10 has a complete package anymore. OM10, 20, 30 and 40 are all available as stylus only - without body.

The OM Super body differs from the OM body, so if you want a better OM body then get an OM Super body. But it's only sold together with the OM5E stylus. All OM styluses fits the OM Super body.

BeardyPine

Post by BeardyPine » 15 Sep 2019 15:29

Huh i guess you are right , although i read that you can go from the OM 10 cartridge and change the stylus to whichever of the OM styli you want , but you cant do that from the OM 5 cartridge body , cause it wont sound that good :/ But if its the same OM body in all of them , then i guess i wont have to buy the whole thing . Still though , will i have any other problems with this specific turntable ( lack of antiskate for example ) ? Thanks for the help !

yarvelling
England

Post by yarvelling » 20 Sep 2019 16:53

BeardyPine wrote:
15 Sep 2019 15:29
Huh i guess you are right , although i read that you can go from the OM 10 cartridge and change the stylus to whichever of the OM styli you want , but you cant do that from the OM 5 cartridge body , cause it wont sound that good :/ But if its the same OM body in all of them , then i guess i wont have to buy the whole thing . Still though , will i have any other problems with this specific turntable ( lack of antiskate for example ) ? Thanks for the help !
Yep....just pop the OM10 stylus onto your current cartridge...an instant upgrade. Not a 'big' upgrade, but it'll still be worth doing.
If you really want to upgrade the Primary, then consider the Project 'Acryli-It' acrylic replacement platter. It does make a fair difference over the original MDF platter, and is heavier so overall speed accuracy is improved:- better flywheel effect. The difference to the sound is hard to put into words...when I did mine it just made me smile a Big smile! I also got the Project 'Clamp-It' screw-on record clamp, which holds the record more tightly against the acrylic, tightening-up the sound, and eliminating any chance of the record slipping against the acrylic surface.

No, not sponsored by Project, just a happy user :D

raphaelmabo
long player
long player
Sweden

Post by raphaelmabo » 20 Sep 2019 17:26

BeardyPine wrote:
15 Sep 2019 15:29
There is no specific OM5 body. It’s the same body that was sold together with OM10, OM20 etc when they were available as a complete package.

As for antiskating, it works together with the tracking force. The OM5 has 1,75g and the OM10, OM20 etc has 1.5.

So if the antiskating is locked/fixed to work with 1.75g then it may not work properly with 1.5, but the difference should be small.

However, even if 1.5g is recommended for the OM10, it will work just fine with 1.75g so if you set the tracking force to 1.75g - or if it’s fixed to it already, then you will have no problem.

Mr Pig
Scotland

Post by Mr Pig » 20 Sep 2019 20:32

To be honest, I wouldn't bother. Upgrading the cartridge will give you such a modest improvement on that turntable it's not worth the money. Save your pennies and buy a better turntable. Then you'll get a dramatic upgrade!

justjed0001
United States of America

Post by justjed0001 » 21 Sep 2019 21:53

I just put an OM10 stylus on my OM3E body. Took about 20 seconds. Reset the VTF, good to go. It's like a completely different cartridge!