Audio Technica AT91 vs generic EPS-207C stylus - which one to pick?

the thin end of the wedge
Hannes_Hannes
Estonia

Audio Technica AT91 vs generic EPS-207C stylus - which one to pick?

Post by Hannes_Hannes » 09 Sep 2019 14:25

Hello. I'm between these two options. I'd like to try out some low budget 0.6 conical. I've read very good reviews about AT91 and I also looks nice and simple visually. I also have a Technics EPC-207 cartridge which has no stylus. Thakker sells generic stylus for it, website states manufacturer as Thakker Japan, is this Jico? For aesthetics I would pick the latter. Genuine AT91 in the other hand is well known 'can't go wrong' so this is an argument too. Cartridge would be installed on original Technics headshell on SL-1700 mk2. So, is it really just a matter of taste or is there some serius aspects regarding advantages/disadvantages?

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: Audio Technica AT91 vs generic EPS-207C stylus - which one to pick?

Post by BMRR » 09 Sep 2019 14:46

If you can afford it, buy both of them. :) That's the best way to discover which one you prefer. The AT91 is very inexpensive already and if it's not your cup of tea you could still keep it as an emergency backup.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 09 Sep 2019 15:09

The EPC-207C has a wide range of styluses available, with some being VERY nice (and expensive). If I'm reading correctly, you already own this cartridge? By all means keep it, and consider a high-end stylus for it.

For a budget conical, the AT91 would be a sensible choice, and a good backup as BMRR has mentioned.

Those two carts are really apples-and-oranges, so have both and enjoy yourself a fruit cocktail :lol:

Hannes_Hannes
Estonia

Post by Hannes_Hannes » 09 Sep 2019 15:30

Yeah, I already own EPC-207 (once came with turntable and had generic Pfeiffer stylus with slightly bent cantilever). Since my budget is currently very limited, I would probably go with AT91 at the moment as it is no longer in production (correct?). As an emergency backup I would keep my current Ortofon OM10 which is quite... boring.
But thanks for advices!

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 09 Sep 2019 16:45

Hannes_Hannes wrote:
09 Sep 2019 15:30
Yeah, I already own EPC-207 (once came with turntable and had generic Pfeiffer stylus with slightly bent cantilever). Since my budget is currently very limited, I would probably go with AT91 at the moment as it is no longer in production (correct?). As an emergency backup I would keep my current Ortofon OM10 which is quite... boring.
But thanks for advices!
The AT91 is discontinued, but there is some old stock still left out there for sale along with replacement styluses for it. I think the AT-VM95 is the currently-produced budget choice.

You could also upgrade the stylus from the OM10 to an OM20. It will fit the same cartridge and sound a little better.

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 09 Sep 2019 20:53

The AT91R is still in production, and is virtually identical to the AT91 except that it has an aluminum cantilever rather than carbon-reinforced plastic, and the stylus grip is red rather than yellow.

Also still in production is the AT3600L, which is also virtually identical to the AT91 but it operates at a slightly higher tracking force and the stylus grip is grey or beige rather than yellow. These are available direct from China for as little as $12 US (via eBay).

The VM95C is a very fine choice at only $34 US and offering a sound that is a bit more smooth and refined than the AT91/AT3600 series, as well as a truly excellent upgrade path via simple stylus changes. It's also easier to mount on a headshell thanks to its threaded screw holes.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 09 Sep 2019 21:06

BMRR wrote:
09 Sep 2019 20:53
The AT91R is still in production, and is virtually identical to the AT91 except that it has an aluminum cantilever rather than carbon-reinforced plastic, and the stylus grip is red rather than yellow.

Also still in production is the AT3600L, which is also virtually identical to the AT91 but it operates at a slightly higher tracking force and the stylus grip is grey or beige rather than yellow. These are available direct from China for as little as $12 US (via eBay).

The VM95C is a very fine choice at only $34 US and offering a sound that is a bit more smooth and refined than the AT91/AT3600 series, as well as a truly excellent upgrade path via simple stylus changes. It's also easier to mount on a headshell thanks to its threaded screw holes.
^^^Good info there. The threaded screw holes should also make a more secure connection, and 'in theory' a better sound.

Hannes_Hannes
Estonia

Post by Hannes_Hannes » 10 Sep 2019 15:20

Well, I ordered AT91. I almost forgot there is a VM95 but... I really don't like its design. And since I'm not that big audiophile anyway, I guess I've made reasonable decision.

Big thanks!

joedisco
Mexico

Post by joedisco » 10 Sep 2019 23:40

Hannes_Hannes wrote:
10 Sep 2019 15:20
Well, I ordered AT91. I almost forgot there is a VM95 but... I really don't like its design. And since I'm not that big audiophile anyway, I guess I've made reasonable decision.

Big thanks!
I believe you will be happy.
I have the AT91R on my basic ATLP3 and Im very happy with it.
(I thought the AT91 was not sold by separate from this LP3 TT)

Hannes_Hannes
Estonia

Post by Hannes_Hannes » 22 Sep 2019 12:01

Finally my AT91 arrived. It sounds better than my current OM10. More highs. Maybe very little less bass. Ortofon has less highs but sounds more harsh (and occasionally more sibilant). In terms of 0.6 conical vs 0.3x0.7 elliptical, I'm not able to hear any noticeable difference regarding IGD.

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 22 Sep 2019 14:43

Hannes_Hannes wrote:
22 Sep 2019 12:01
Finally my AT91 arrived. It sounds better than my current OM10. More highs. Maybe very little less bass. Ortofon has less highs but sounds more harsh (and occasionally more sibilant). In terms of 0.6 conical vs 0.3x0.7 elliptical, I'm not able to hear any noticeable difference regarding IGD.
Try to add some VTF maybe. Do not hesitate to apply the maximum recommended tracking force at 2.5 grams of the AT91 to hear if maybe it can help some the bass rendition. I don't know this cartridge, but for a budget cartridge I doubt you will have a "rich" sounding one.
Hannes_Hannes wrote:
09 Sep 2019 14:25
...Thakker sells generic stylus for it, website states manufacturer as Thakker Japan, is this Jico?... ...Cartridge would be installed on original Technics headshell on SL-1700 mk2. So, is it really just a matter of taste or is there some serius aspects regarding advantages/disadvantages?
I use to buy some (belts, stylus replacements...) from Thakker and vent their "generic" replacement products quality and service. Until, one day in need to purchase new N44-7 'DJ' replacement styluses, I nearly fell off my chair seeing the price of their Shure N44-7 'DJ' Japan replacement styluses increase by 200%...

This without warning, excuse or notice. It's true that on their online shop, the description only reads "Thakker Japan" and on their styluses box it does read Jico... Without going further into the matter for disclosure reasons, I now use Japan Jico N44-7 'Club' replacement styluses and they are totally different animals...

As for contraindications aspects of cartridges on such Technics tonearm I can't foresee any.