P-mount suggestions?

the thin end of the wedge

How to upgrade Grado Green P-mount?

a) upgrade the Grado with the 8MZ (are there different versions of the 8MZ or can I just google any one?)
20%
b) upgrade the Technics with - which stylus?
20%
c) upgrade the AT with - which stylus?
No votes
d) send the X1-MCP to the importer that will give a -25% discount on a new similar cartridge (since the stylus is not replaceable)
No votes
e) buy a new Shure M92E from brick and mortar and possibly later upgrade the stylus (with N97xE SAS/S?)
No votes
f) find a whole other cartridge - which one?
60%

Total votes: 5

SL-boi
Finland

P-mount suggestions?

Post by SL-boi » 06 Sep 2019 12:57

Hi from a VE rookie!

My Grado Green needle on my SL-7 needs replacement. I prefer a considerable update on sound quality at the same time.

In addition to the Grado, I have a Technics P34 and an Audio Technica (a completely black one that looks like all of them - don't know more than that) and two Ortofon X1-MCPs with broken needles. (and an Ortofon SG body that isn't a P-mount)

Would you suggest me to:
a) upgrade the Grado with the 8MZ (are there different versions of the 8MZ or can I just google any one?)
b) upgrade the Technics with - which stylus?
c) upgrade the AT with - which stylus?
d) send the X1-MCP to the importer that will give a -25% discount on a new similar cartridge (since the stylus is not replaceable)
e) buy a new Shure M92E from brick and mortar and possibly later upgrade the stylus (with N97xE SAS/S?)
f) find a whole other cartridge - which one?

The TT has adjustable weight, from 1 to 1,5, if I recall correctly. I haven't noticed hum like some have experienced with Grado, but then again, I haven't a lot of experience with different cartridges.

I'm running the TT through a Pro-Ject preamp to Cyrus III with PSX-R and listen to many kinds of music styles.

Cheers!

professor gascan

Re: P-mount suggestions?

Post by professor gascan » 06 Sep 2019 18:43

a) I like my grado blue p mount with 8mz a lot, but you might want to up your vtf to 1.5g( the SL-7 should have the option of adjusting vtf +/- .25g). It also has the benefit of correct overhang, a lot of aftermarket and even some oem didn't get this right.

b) I've got a technics p22 with a jico sas before they switched cantilever material. I got it without the orginal stylus, but it sounds great but the overhang is 1.5mm to long.

c)If your talking about the current AT bodies that slope towards the tip, I've got an at92e(elliptical) and a 3872(conical) that both sound good but don't have experience with upgraded stylus oem or otherwise. If you can't adjust for capacitance loading they can sound bright/forward. They have correct overhang and weight.

d)Regrettably no experience with HOMC carts.

e) I've got an m92e and an older 104e that also run the old style jico sas. Love the sound but again the sas overhang is too long. Sigh

f)If you can find an ADC psx-10/20/30/40 body, and psx-40 stylus I highly recommend it. Awesome sound and correct overhang and weight.

I've got the ADC in a technics sl-ql1 with no plans to change anytime soon. If you can't find one the grado with an 8mz is a great combo and a close second.

Sunwire
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Sunwire » 06 Sep 2019 20:47

Find out which Audio Technica model you have. There are some excellent stylus options for some models.
I would post a separate question about the Grado 8MZ stylus. There are some folks with lots of Grado knowledge here.

Your subject line may not lead to many responses about anything but Grado.

SL-boi
Finland

Post by SL-boi » 06 Sep 2019 23:24

professor gascan wrote:
06 Sep 2019 18:43
f)If you can find an ADC psx-10/20/30/40 body, and psx-40 stylus I highly recommend it. Awesome sound and correct overhang and weight.

I've got the ADC in a technics sl-ql1 with no plans to change anytime soon. If you can't find one the grado with an 8mz is a great combo and a close second.
Thanks for the thorough response!

The psx-40 stylus is discontinued, right? Any viable replacements? And is the 30 any good?

Btw, the brick and mortar I bought the Grado from offered me a Grado Black or Green stylus as a replacement for, even when I had specifically asked for the 8mz. Probably they're not even interested in the mount.

SL-boi
Finland

Post by SL-boi » 07 Sep 2019 08:35

Replacement needles for the ADC-40 seem to be surprisingly cheap, I mean ones I found that said they'd replace the model 40 specifically. At Stylusplus and Jico at least.

I suppose I could find a lower model and fit a better needle - the cartridges are the same, I think?

I did find one complete APX-40, but the webpage looks like a horror sham site straightfrom the 90's: https://www.adelcom.net/ADC-psx-40-Page.htm
Bluz Broz entertainment they call themselve, though the url is different. I'm a bit afraid to buy from there to be honest. Doesn't seem simple, to say the least. Anyone know anything about them?

Collux
Australia

Post by Collux » 07 Sep 2019 10:02

LP Gear ADC PSX carts & styli
-search for 'ADC PSX' here:
https://www.lpgear.com

Here is an AT ebay offering: https://tinyurl.com/y5v3ucwk
https://www.vinylengine.com/library/aud ... t112.shtml

SL-boi
Finland

Post by SL-boi » 07 Sep 2019 10:34

I already searched LPGear; they list APX30 and 40, styli and cartridges, but all are out of stock.

I'll look into the AT, thanks. How good is it? The scarce google info says it's ok, and supposedly upgradeable?

Collux
Australia

Post by Collux » 07 Sep 2019 11:03

Collux
Australia

Post by Collux » 07 Sep 2019 12:45

AT450
https://tinyurl.com/yy5vlt4a

This is a nude elliptical, for a pretty good price.

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 07 Sep 2019 14:22

I suggest getting an Audio-Technica T4p mount cartridge which is in current production or has current genuine stylus support.

noisefreq
United States of America

Post by noisefreq » 07 Sep 2019 15:46

I've been using a Technics P-23 with the gold conical stylus and it sounds great on very clean records but a little noisy if the vinyl is less than excellent.
I have also heard from several sources that the better aftermarket cantilevers are too long.
So I'm thinking about getting one of those cheap conicals re-tipped with a line contact or similar.
I like the character of the Technics cartridge that much.

Beyond that, I've heard the aftermarket Audio Technica line contact styli are excellent, too.

And thanks for the heads up on the M92/M97 compatibility. Did not know that.

I also don't think you can go wrong with the Grado 8MZ, other than being a bit pricey.

SL-boi
Finland

Post by SL-boi » 07 Sep 2019 15:59

KentT wrote:
07 Sep 2019 14:22
I suggest getting an Audio-Technica T4p mount cartridge which is in current production or has current genuine stylus support.
I'm looking at a good deal for AT132EP. That is also of fair quality and still supported - good replacement styli available, that is?

SL-boi
Finland

Post by SL-boi » 07 Sep 2019 16:11

Btw, I learned from another forum that the Technics P34 is a rebadged Audio-Technica similar to the AT92E / ECD. I wonder how viable an option for me it would be to buy a new stylus for it instead of the Grado (or my broken AT).

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 07 Sep 2019 21:29

SL-boi wrote:
07 Sep 2019 15:59
KentT wrote:
07 Sep 2019 14:22
I'm looking at a good deal for AT132EP. That is also of fair quality and still supported - good replacement styli available, that is?
Are they genuine styli, do they track at 1.25-1.5 grams? If not, then it's not. T4p mount selection in current production is an Audio-Technica or two or Grado's Prestige offerings. Nobody else makes T4p mount cartridges anymore.