the thin end of the wedge
smee4
long player
long player

Re: Shure M95, M91, M75, RXT6 which would you pick

Post by smee4 » 06 Sep 2019 22:48

goatbreath wrote:
06 Sep 2019 21:43
I'm the weird one here,I prefer the M75 to the V15 III..
The M75 and 91 are the same generator though..
If the 91 offers more choice of styli,I can see the advantages..

I use the M75 with 2 different aftermarket Styli,same as te Tonar ones..
M75 ED type 2 which basically tracks a bit over 1.5 grams,,1.7 and has a bonded 3x7 stylus..
M75 B / 6 s I track at 2.7 grams and it has a point 6 conical stylus..

I love the M75 B it may not be the most detailed,but it is moreish like tasty comfort food..
Great for older LPs etc..It is probably like Rose Coloured Glasses..
I can listen for hours with it,enjoy the music,but do other stuff too..
It s just really enjoyable,,for me with classical and Jazz too..

The 75 ED,is more detailed and dynamic,the dynamics can be a bit too much with classical..
Maybe more accurate,but less enjoyable for me being slammed over the head all the time..
Why I can find some classical CD's overbearing too,I don't want to slam the neighbours over the head either..
The 75 ED is really good with rock,you can ear drums and the bassline great..
Things sound propulsive and percussive,it catches all the micro dynamics,the smaller stuff..
It is definitely less laid back the the M75 B though..
Running the M75 ED in my low mass Hadcock GH220 is magical..
It is quite good on my Technics SL1500 C with ADC headshell..

It may be that the Tonar styli have exactly the same suspension for the M95 too..
Hmmm, well I'll stay with the M95 for now. To share styluses between the 75 and the rest, they need to be trimmed down. That's probably the main reason for not choosing it.

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 13 Sep 2019 19:33

smee4 wrote:
06 Sep 2019 22:44
jdjohn wrote:
06 Sep 2019 15:59
I agree with deciding on the M95.

But FYI and for future reference, the clip-on version of the M91 is technically called the M91E, and the solid body is the M91ED. Their respective stylus replacements are the N91E and N91ED.

It may be obvious, but the M91ED will provide a more secure mounting. I've never quite understood the thinking behind the clip-on version, but I think the clip-on came out first in the late 60s, and the solid body in the early 70s.

An original OEM N91ED 'Hi-Track' stylus (yellow or ivory in color) is indeed a nice nude .2X.7 elliptical stylus with a round shank. Here are some pics: https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... &start=330 But beware of generic replacements that can look similar. Read here: https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... hp?t=29917
Yes, I was just omitting the suffixes. Interesting that the N91ED was a nude 0.2x0.7. I would like one of those.
I bought a M91ED that has the yellow Hi-Track (with red lettering.) I'm using the cart with an LP Gear Vivid Line instead. They both track well but the Hi-Track is very forward in the midrange. I like the more laid back character of the VL. M91ED with VL Sounds very good with things with acoustical instruments - acoustic guitar, etc. The sound has just the right touch of liquidity with VL and the Hi-Track is shoutier, to me. I also don't know how age may have affected the Hi-Track stylus. I'm keeping it put away my little box of unused / spare styli anyway.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 13 Sep 2019 20:41

Bob Dillon wrote:
13 Sep 2019 19:33
I bought a M91ED that has the yellow Hi-Track (with red lettering.) I'm using the cart with an LP Gear Vivid Line instead. They both track well but the Hi-Track is very forward in the midrange. I like the more laid back character of the VL. M91ED with VL Sounds very good with things with acoustical instruments - acoustic guitar, etc. The sound has just the right touch of liquidity with VL and the Hi-Track is shoutier, to me. I also don't know how age may have affected the Hi-Track stylus. I'm keeping it put away my little box of unused / spare styli anyway.
Glad the LPG VL is working well for you.

The M91 has a pretty high output, and that original .2X.7 tip can be rather revealing, so I think you were getting the full impact there. It's kind of like an American muscle car - can be fun, but maybe a little much for daily driving...unless you just like that sort of thing :) The suspension may be a little stiff as well depending on prior usage/storage, and those Shures do like a higher capacitance load. Some tweaks might tame it a bit, but no need to fight it if the VL is giving you good results.

smee4
long player
long player

Post by smee4 » 13 Sep 2019 23:34

I ended installing the M95ED. I have been listening to it over the past few days, and I am really happy with it. I am also surprised at how well the 0.3x0.7 mil elliptical EVG stylus tracks. Not in any rush to upgrade to an line contact.

wolfie62
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by wolfie62 » 14 Sep 2019 19:40

Interesting read, here. I have a bunch of Shures that I’m wanting to try out.

The Shure Tracer, I’ve read, is an M95 body. Others say it’s an M97 Era IV with an M95 Stylus.

Various reincarnations of M91s, etc.
F059B1C1-5D1B-406B-BE27-C4819C7C4C74.jpeg
(258.54 KiB) Downloaded 27 times