Rockville PPA 20 preamp.

the thin end of the wedge
Hdonly
United States of America

Rockville PPA 20 preamp.

Post by Hdonly » 15 Aug 2019 00:03

Maybe I'm just stupid. Back in the vinyl days, if you bought an amp or preamp with phono inputs, it had RIAA rolloff circuitry built in. I bought this cheaper Rockville PPA 20 preamp with phono imputs to use while I get my old Garrard Zero-100 turntable working. Surprise, no RIAA circuit in the phono input section. Is this how they do things nowadays. Maybe I'm just too old.

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Re: Rockville PPA 20 preamp.

Post by Bob Dillon » 15 Aug 2019 03:15

The specs for the PPA20 state 3mV sensitivity / 47 ohm load at the phono input. It's designed specifically for a turntable and with a moving magnet or moving iron cartridge at that input and nothing else. Very odd that they would then leave out RIAA compensation. I really have trouble believing that be the case either.

What are you running into the phono on this unit ? Turntable and cartridge.

Collux
Australia

Post by Collux » 15 Aug 2019 03:23

I would be surprised if RIAA compensation is not present when there is a phono input?
Yet, it does not seem to get a mention in the manual.
https://www.rockvilleaudio.com/content/ ... _Final.pdf

May be worthwhile asking Rockville?
https://www.rockvilleaudio.com/new-page/

Hdonly
United States of America

Post by Hdonly » 15 Aug 2019 13:09

I have an email to Rockville about this. No answer yet. I have read a couple of reviews on this since buying it that mention this. Seems odd to me that it's not in the manual. Haven't had time to hook up my Zero-100 that I bought new in 1974. Decided it was time to revive it. Still has an old Shure V15 cartridge.

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 15 Aug 2019 16:30

It's a line level preamp. Switching, tone control etc. You'll need a phono preamp with the riaa. I think the spec for the phono is at a rating for a typical phono cartridge of 3mv @ 47 ohm. As Walter Cronkite use to say back in the day. "And that's the way it is". Turntables aren't the standard norm today as they once were. I use a modern tube preamp. It has no riaa built in.

jvcforce
United States of America

Post by jvcforce » 15 Aug 2019 17:07

It's a Rockville product, so I would not be too surprised if it is just another line input. But it would be total mislabeling, if you ask me. It's odd that there is no ground pole for turntable, if it does have a phono-amp built-in.

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 15 Aug 2019 18:06

rewfew wrote:
15 Aug 2019 16:30
It's a line level preamp. Switching, tone control etc. You'll need a phono preamp with the riaa. I think the spec for the phono is at a rating for a typical phono cartridge of 3mv @ 47 ohm. As Walter Cronkite use to say back in the day. "And that's the way it is". Turntables aren't the standard norm today as they once were. I use a modern tube preamp. It has no riaa built in.
So they included an essentially unusable phono input, makes perfect sense. Since obviously a seperate phono pre will half to be connected a line level input. #-o

Nah. The thread starter is doing something wrong.

Collux
Australia

Post by Collux » 15 Aug 2019 19:12

I emailed Rockville yesterday.
-here is their reply:
Q. Does the Rockville PPA20 Preamp use RIAA compensation when using the phono input?
Ans. Hello, Yes it has built in Loudness compensation circuit which at low-to-medium volume boosts the bass and treble response.

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 15 Aug 2019 21:32

Sounds like a typical customer service bot reciting from the scripted list of answers.

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 16 Aug 2019 01:38

They just have a selector switch showing also for phono input. Like many, and like my line preamp. It will amplify the signal a bit from the source, (phono preamp), to the amplifier. He needs a phono preamp with riaa. They did not answer his question obviously. Just state some of the preamp's available functions. Here's a review on Amazon from Vinnie. Aaaa, yo.

This is way more than I expected. It now allows me to use my Crown amp as a bass guitar amp system.
Rack mounted right above the Crown, this preamp looks good and sounds AMAZING.
It does not have an RIAA phono preamp built in.
The number of inputs are fantastic.
Tone controls all in the right frequencies.
Pro unit, this thing is too good to be true.
Price was almost too low. Note the word "almost"
Vinnie

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 16 Aug 2019 01:48

There's no amplifying 'a bit' from the source. :toilet:

Nobody sells a phono pre that only does RIAA correction and nothing else. If he plugs any phono preamp into that phono input he/she will get horrendous distortion.

So get a phono pre and plug into a line input. Problem solved. But that's the problem the thread starter started this thread with.

Hdonly
United States of America

Post by Hdonly » 16 Aug 2019 14:20

Done a lot of searching. Keep finding a few that state no RIAA and some that say it works fine with a turntable. I can't find anyone that says "Yes it has RIA rolloff" Guess I need to get on the stick and try it myself. Several people say it and many other brands were designed with turntables with built in preamp and rolloff. But that doesn't make any sense putting a phono input on the preamp except to just labeling the input switch position. That is very misleading in my opinion. Should just be honest and state it on the spec sheet.

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 16 Aug 2019 18:39

Bob Dillon wrote:
16 Aug 2019 01:48
There's no amplifying 'a bit' from the source.

Nobody sells a phono pre that only does RIAA correction and nothing else. If he plugs any phono preamp into that phono input he/she will get horrendous distortion.
Cute little emoji there, very expressive. With an active preamp there will be additional 'gain' added to the phono preamp signal. Not all phono preamps have enough gain, or an amplifier with low enough input sensitivity to drive the amplifier to it's full output, so an active preamplifier gives more headroom for phono. I don't get horrendous distortion with my active preamp. Confusing as it is I agree, it's probably just another line output labeled phono. Since it's pro gear, maybe it's labeled that way customary for dj use with a phono mixer going to that input. Give it a try though without a phono preamp. You'll find out quickly.