vinyl addict
Australia

Re: DIY retip sounds amazing

Post by cafe latte » 25 Jul 2019 09:45

cafe latte wrote:
25 Jul 2019 09:26
jvcforce wrote:
24 Jul 2019 14:54
Thank you Cafe Latte. You must have good eyesight! I do want to see your tools, especially ones that you made ("a bit of soft wood cut to a wedge to support the cantilever tweezers")
Can't find my little wedge I cut, not sure why.. :)my HiFi room is very very tidy, but my desk is my area of release :)
I might have thrown it out with used tape. I was not totally happy with it Anyway thinking to do next wedge maybe from a pencil eraser it would move less and be a bit softer on the cantilever. Cutting the cantilever was the hard part.
Chris
Attachments
20190725_181942.jpg
(175.99 KiB) Downloaded 83 times

jvcforce
United States of America

Post by jvcforce » 25 Jul 2019 15:22

Thank you Cafe Latte for sharing your work area! In the second photo, I see a white eraser, is that the one you use for support (bedding) to-be-cut cantilever on cartridge? I'm trying to imagine how you prepare cutting old cantilever.
I web-searched Albion alloys. I see that there are Slide Fit Aluminum Tubes 0.3, 0.5, 0.7 and 0.9mm bundle. Is this the one you'd use.
Also, there are brass tube and Nickel Silver tube. Which material is suited?
Again, thank you so much for sharing your work!

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 25 Jul 2019 22:45

jvcforce wrote:
25 Jul 2019 15:22
Thank you Cafe Latte for sharing your work area! In the second photo, I see a white eraser, is that the one you use for support (bedding) to-be-cut cantilever on cartridge? I'm trying to imagine how you prepare cutting old cantilever.
I web-searched Albion alloys. I see that there are Slide Fit Aluminum Tubes 0.3, 0.5, 0.7 and 0.9mm bundle. Is this the one you'd use.
Also, there are brass tube and Nickel Silver tube. Which material is suited?
Again, thank you so much for sharing your work!
Yes that is the exact Alloy kit I bought. No the blob in the pic is like blur tac, I used it and a little wooden wedge under the stylus, then I got a piece of paper sticky tape and gently taped over the stylus to stop it twisting as I cut it.The wood worked, but I really think if I fashion a wedge out of a pencil eraser, then secure that in place with blu tac and use the tape again it will work better than the wood. When you cut go slow there is no rush here this is the one bit you want to do well the rest is easy.
Chris

smee4
long player
long player

Post by smee4 » 26 Jul 2019 07:36

cafe latte wrote:
24 Jul 2019 21:41
rewfew wrote:
24 Jul 2019 16:45
Great job! I wonder other that eyeballing, how are you sure about lining up the diamond to correct azimuth? Is there a way that you support the graft when you apply adhesive that you feel the alignment is proper. Regardless, great DIY application to what most people, (including me) having the skills and chutzpah to pull off.
Thanks :D That is what the blue Tac is for to support the cantilever while gluing and getting alignment right is really not hard as I am using an existing cantilever so with magnification just need to get things pointing where they should be.
Chris

I think it is fantastic to be able to do this, well done.

I still can't get my head around how you get it aligned accurately enough. There would appear to be nothing to align the stylus tip against to ensure correct azimuth. Also, what about the stylus rake angle - aren't different manufacturers' styluses different?

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 26 Jul 2019 08:39

smee4 wrote:
26 Jul 2019 07:36
cafe latte wrote:
24 Jul 2019 21:41
rewfew wrote:
24 Jul 2019 16:45
Great job! I wonder other that eyeballing, how are you sure about lining up the diamond to correct azimuth? Is there a way that you support the graft when you apply adhesive that you feel the alignment is proper. Regardless, great DIY application to what most people, (including me) having the skills and chutzpah to pull off.
Thanks :D That is what the blue Tac is for to support the cantilever while gluing and getting alignment right is really not hard as I am using an existing cantilever so with magnification just need to get things pointing where they should be.
Chris

I think it is fantastic to be able to do this, well done.

I still can't get my head around how you get it aligned accurately enough. There would appear to be nothing to align the stylus tip against to ensure correct azimuth. Also, what about the stylus rake angle - aren't different manufacturers' styluses different?
're rake angle just lay donor and old stylus next to each other and see if difference a if any. 're aligning it is no harder than checking a new stylus to see if cantilever is correct.with magnification it is not hard to see if tip is vertical especially with cart like the Grado woody with a totally flat base.
Chris

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 26 Jul 2019 16:42

So, near as I can figure. you gauge the flat underside of the cantilever with that of the cartridge body? Good eyesight is paramount. But do you have enough length of "levels". Cantilever underside to underside of cartridge body, to really judge any degree of parallelism? A link giving a visual. http://korfaudio.com/blog38. I have to tape a mechanical pencil length to the flat front of a cartridge to help in cartridge alignment with the lines on the alignment protractor. Here your dealing with a much smaller flat surfaces to compare with parallelism. If it sounds good though, you must of nailed it.

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 26 Jul 2019 23:08

rewfew wrote:
26 Jul 2019 16:42
So, near as I can figure. you gauge the flat underside of the cantilever with that of the cartridge body? Good eyesight is paramount. But do you have enough length of "levels". Cantilever underside to underside of cartridge body, to really judge any degree of parallelism? A link giving a visual. http://korfaudio.com/blog38. I have to tape a mechanical pencil length to the flat front of a cartridge to help in cartridge alignment with the lines on the alignment protractor. Here your dealing with a much smaller flat surfaces to compare with parallelism. If it sounds good though, you must of nailed it.
I use magnification and if you look at most carts misalignment in this respect is common it is why people buy headshell you can adjust to overcome these issues. I took great care to make sure alignment was correct. One way if you want a reference would be to tape a square of graph paper to the front of the cart and then check with loupe. I think with care you can do the same without though.
Chris

smee4
long player
long player

Post by smee4 » 27 Jul 2019 00:30

cafe latte wrote:
26 Jul 2019 23:08

I use magnification and if you look at most carts misalignment in this respect is common it is why people buy headshell you can adjust to overcome these issues. I took great care to make sure alignment was correct. One way if you want a reference would be to tape a square of graph paper to the front of the cart and then check with loupe. I think with care you can do the same without though.
Chris
I have long wondered just how accurately aligned commercial stylus tips are. Most people, myself included, tend to just set the azimuth by making the headshell parallel to the record surface. Apparently that's not really good enough if misalignment is common, especially for exotic stylus shapes.

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 27 Jul 2019 01:36

From what I have seen both rake angle and general stylus mount errors are common. Under a microscope seen a few ellipticals rotated (This is very very common) so that contact points are skewed. Then cantilever at angle or even tip mounted off to side. I have got into the habit of checking every new cart and stylus for all if the above so confident any errors I made mounting are small enough not to matter.
Chris

BanditV

Post by BanditV » 30 Oct 2019 06:56

If i still had my Platinum cartridge i would maybe give it a try for diy retip! As for my Statement1 cartridge it was retipped by EposLab which is an expert in Grado cartridge retip!