DIY retip sounds amazing

the thin end of the wedge
cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

DIY retip sounds amazing

Post by cafe latte » 22 Jul 2019 10:37

Finally got my tubes from Albion alloys for my splints I not have enough forever. I retipped my terrible sounding totally worn out Grado Platinum woody with a AT95e stylus.I plan to remove this and do a permanent retip with a ML stylus, but so massively impressed the 95e sounds stunning on the Grado highs are amazing. Pic has some glue on it from tape which I have removed since, but this is really not hard.
Chris
Attachments
IMG_4750.JPG
(109.27 KiB) Downloaded 319 times

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Re: DIY retip sounds amazing

Post by cafe latte » 22 Jul 2019 12:26

It is amazing the highs are fantastic, wonder what is the issue with the older Grado, my Gold 2 sounds fab, but this always sounded mute, but now sounds clean and bright but smooth too. Almost a shame to remove the stylus as it sounds way way better than a AT95e. That said the difference between a AT95e and an ml is not small so the ml retip should be fantastic.
Chris

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 22 Jul 2019 13:41

if you like the way it sounds, that is all that matters

We all hear with our ears and not with some test report, etc, etc. .
What is important is the synergy between all the links in your audio chain.:)

jvcforce
United States of America

Post by jvcforce » 22 Jul 2019 16:44

Could you show / explain to us how you resurrected the Grado cartridge?

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 22 Jul 2019 22:25

jvcforce wrote:
22 Jul 2019 16:44
Could you show / explain to us how you resurrected the Grado cartridge?
The Grado is a 4 piece cantilever, the bit you can see is the last bit.
I used tape to hold the cantilever and I carved a small piece of soft wood to support it, there are probably other ways to do it but this way worked for me. I also own a Grado statement reference which has a glue lump and then a thinner cantilever so I cut in around the same area as the lump, I actually ended up cutting a bit longer as intend to redo this retip with an ml stylus. Anyway to do the cut support the cantilever and gently saw the cantilever with an old style razor blade. Cutting it this way avoids flattening the cantilever. If it does flatten use a needle to open up the end of the tube again. Next I bought a pack of tiny tubes from Albion Alloy, a seller in Australia resells Albion tubes with various sizes which is what I bought. I cut a tint short splint from one of the tubes and glued it into the cantilever. In the final job I will use epoxy, but want to reverse this so used a varnish can be reversed and seems to be holding very well indeed, but long term epoxy is the way to go.
I inserted the splint and glued it in place, then I removed a cantilever from a new AT95e stylus simply as they have a nice light cantilever and they are cheap if I stuffed the job up. I gently touched the cantilever with tape and cut it the same way as before. The tape prevents me loosing it if it so it cant ping off. I then gently inserted the cantilever onto the splint and aligned it perfectly then applied some glue. I used blue tac to support the cantilever then a gentle dab of glue applied with a sharp tooth pick, recheck alignment then let glue dry. I remove blue tac then apply a little more glue to the rear let it dry then play some music :D
The next step is cut it back or melt glue, probably just cut right back and fit an ML stylus, but want to enjoy the job I have done for a few days first. The new range of Grado blue, red, silver and gold 2 are stunning the 1 versions and before were a bit muted in the highs and this woody was no exception, but the retip seems to have opened up the highs whilst keeping the lovely Grado mids and bass, cant wait to here what the nude ML sounds like!
Chris

ripblade
long player
long player
Canada

Post by ripblade » 22 Jul 2019 23:10

Good show, Chris. It's threads like this that encourage me to tackle my own retips. :)

jc3

Post by jc3 » 23 Jul 2019 06:36

Nice job! Those albion alloys tubes make this kind of work possible. Props!

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 23 Jul 2019 06:56

ripblade wrote:
22 Jul 2019 23:10
Good show, Chris. It's threads like this that encourage me to tackle my own retips. :)
Thanks,
It is not that hard you just need to prepare and support the cantilever well for cutting and go slow in a saw motion. When you have successfully cut the cantilever off your cart you have done the hard bit. Cutting the donor cantilever is much easier as you can remove the cantilever from the plastic holder and easily too with AT stylus.Cutting on flat surface is quite easy then it is just a case of cutting the tiny tube splint, glue and gluing the donor on and job done. Not impossible to mess up, but much easier than I thought it might have been. I did my first retip last year, I had a few terrible sounding conicals I bought for next to nothing for stanton 881's, I cut them up crushing the first one I tried. Then I was more careful and used a razor blade to cut and second worked. Next tried retipping an Ortofon VMS 30 mk2, donor and cantilever were a different diameter ie one would slide inside the other so retip was easy, but the Grado has a very thin cantilever so splint is needed hence the Albion alloys solution. I would now probably be able to take a retip on most of my carts, at least the cantilever transplant type anyway.
Chris

jvcforce
United States of America

Post by jvcforce » 23 Jul 2019 19:01

I'm very interested! I've been researching how to retip like you do (replacing cantilever), but there aren't a lot of information available. Please show us your tools!

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 23 Jul 2019 21:48

jvcforce wrote:
23 Jul 2019 19:01
I'm very interested! I've been researching how to retip like you do (replacing cantilever), but there aren't a lot of information available. Please show us your tools!
Not much to show really, if you want I can take some pics tonight if you want, but basically a x3 loup, a needle, an old style razor blade, masking tape, blue tac, a couple of tooth pics, a bit of soft wood cut to a wedge to support the cantilever tweezers I use for doing my watch stuff and glue. I have a microscope too, but it is not needed for this, but I did use it when job was done to see how everything looked.
Chris

jvcforce
United States of America

Post by jvcforce » 24 Jul 2019 14:54

Thank you Cafe Latte. You must have good eyesight! I do want to see your tools, especially ones that you made ("a bit of soft wood cut to a wedge to support the cantilever tweezers")

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 24 Jul 2019 16:45

Great job! I wonder other that eyeballing, how are you sure about lining up the diamond to correct azimuth? Is there a way that you support the graft when you apply adhesive that you feel the alignment is proper. Regardless, great DIY application to what most people, (including me) having the skills and chutzpah to pull off.

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 24 Jul 2019 21:41

rewfew wrote:
24 Jul 2019 16:45
Great job! I wonder other that eyeballing, how are you sure about lining up the diamond to correct azimuth? Is there a way that you support the graft when you apply adhesive that you feel the alignment is proper. Regardless, great DIY application to what most people, (including me) having the skills and chutzpah to pull off.
Thanks :D That is what the blue Tac is for to support the cantilever while gluing and getting alignment right is really not hard as I am using an existing cantilever so with magnification just need to get things pointing where they should be.
Chris

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 25 Jul 2019 09:26

jvcforce wrote:
24 Jul 2019 14:54
Thank you Cafe Latte. You must have good eyesight! I do want to see your tools, especially ones that you made ("a bit of soft wood cut to a wedge to support the cantilever tweezers")
Can't find my little wedge I cut, not sure why.. :)
I might have thrown it out with used tape. I was not totally happy with it Anyway thinking to do next wedge maybe from a pencil eraser it would move less and be a bit softer on the cantilever. Cutting the cantilever was the hard part.
Chris
Attachments
20190725_181942.jpg
(175.99 KiB) Downloaded 67 times

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 25 Jul 2019 09:28

jvcforce wrote:
24 Jul 2019 14:54
Other tools
Attachments
20190725_181937.jpg
(155.63 KiB) Downloaded 65 times