Denon DL-110 vs. the new AT-VM95ML

the thin end of the wedge
hossfly10

Denon DL-110 vs. the new AT-VM95ML

Post by hossfly10 » 21 Jul 2019 22:43

Anyone have both of these carts to give me some idea of what to expect with the AT against what I am hearing from the Denon?

I have a DL-110 and love the sound. To me it is just a natural accurate sounding cart, without any emphasis on any frequency. It also has a really great soundstage IMHO.

I also have an Ortofon 2M red, which in my system sounds excessively bright on the top end, which apparently is normal from what I have read. I know some folks have said the older 95 series sounded bright to them, but the new series doesn't seem to suffer from this?

Reading some great reviews on the AT, so for $169 I pulled the trigger.
Will I like it as well? Who knows, but we will find out next weekend.

Also, to owners of the AT...how long did it take to settle in? Seemed to me that the Denon took a good 50+ hours before it calmed down from a bit of an "in your face" sound when new out of the box.

DL110luvr
United States of America

Re: Denon DL-110 vs. the new AT-VM95ML

Post by DL110luvr » 22 Jul 2019 08:34

IMHO, your description of the DL-110 sound is spot-on!! I've had one running in a Teac TN-300 for nearly 2 years -- it's now mounted on a Reloop 7000MK2......the DL-110 works well with BOTH tables!
Can't speak for the AT-VM95ML.....I can only compare to the "original" AT-95E. For the $$, the 95E can give carts costing MUCH more some SERIOUS competition!! And, to my ears, isn't far behind the DL-110 in terms of overall response....
Gotta love the high output of the -110......I'm running mine straight into a broadcast console, with NO pre-amp ahead of the cartridge --- absolutely SUPER audio!
From what I've heard - and read -about the new AT VM Series......I don't think you can go wrong with your purchase!
FYI.....I just grabbed another DL-110 yesterday (coming in from Hong Kong) to use with a SECOND Reloop 7000MK2 that will be coming by Summer's end.....wanted to snag the -110 before there was a chance of the price going out of sight!!
Looking forward to your findings when the ML arrives!!

goatbreath
long player
long player
Scotland

Post by goatbreath » 22 Jul 2019 17:49

I have only used them on my new Technics Sl1500c and more elderly Technics SL110 with Sme 3009 improved S2 detachable..

This is going to sound predictable..

1. AT VM 95 ML
2 Denon DL110
3.AT95 E original..
4 AT VM 95 C

I have the earlier 4x7 on my AT 95 E. I
I track that at just under 2.3 grams.
I wouldn't track a 3x7 stylus that high,that is just me though..

I compared my AT VM 95 C tracking at 2.14 grams to keep it in it's specified tracking force with a AT91 tracking at 2.3 grams in spec too...
Maybe the downforce difference,but I found the AT91 to be better by a large margin..
Both in tracking tests and music..

The Denon DL110 I use in a heavier headshell..
It was good on a Rega RB 250,but stunning on an arm with a heavier headshell..

The AT VM 95 ML..

I always thought the DL110 had things in common with the AT95e,
It has much better and finer detail though..
You can hear the improvement from the nude stylus tip..
I don't think the tip on a cartridge is the be all and end all by the way..
I think the AT95 VM takes this up a notch again..

The bass with the Denon with some extra mass is very nice though..

In my set up,I find all cartridges well balanced..
I would actually say the AT91 is a little better balanced than the AT 95e..

I have some AT91 R styli I intend to experiment with soon..

Partly as the cartridge is still available..

balky
Belgium

Post by balky » 22 Jul 2019 18:04

hossfly10 wrote:
21 Jul 2019 22:43
Anyone have both of these carts to give me some idea of what to expect with the AT against what I am hearing from the Denon?

I have a DL-110 and love the sound. To me it is just a natural accurate sounding cart, without any emphasis on any frequency. It also has a really great soundstage IMHO.

I also have an Ortofon 2M red, which in my system sounds excessively bright on the top end, which apparently is normal from what I have read. I know some folks have said the older 95 series sounded bright to them, but the new series doesn't seem to suffer from this?

Reading some great reviews on the AT, so for $169 I pulled the trigger.
Will I like it as well? Who knows, but we will find out next weekend.

Also, to owners of the AT...how long did it take to settle in? Seemed to me that the Denon took a good 50+ hours before it calmed down from a bit of an "in your face" sound when new out of the box.
IME, you're looking at comparing two carts with completely different house sound, sonic signature... call it whatever...

Your taste will mostly judge in favor of your preference, but when set up properly both brands are really good and enjoyable.

I'm a Denon head BTW, but have 12 AT carts as well... 7x MC and 5x MM

goatbreath
long player
long player
Scotland

Post by goatbreath » 22 Jul 2019 18:18

I think the AT95e,AT91 and also the VM95 has a much less trebly sound than the older AT cartridges higher in the range..
I find they can be too fierce and trebly..Although I am talking pre VM series..
I can hear a similarity between the DL110 and the AT95 E myself on my turntables..
Not so much with anything with a Rega Arm..
It could be the equipment I am using them on though..
My Nagaoka MP110 sounds brighter and edgier than my Ortofon 2M Red on my SL1500 C.
Not a report I have heard before..
The Nagaoka sounds really nicely balanced on the SME arm on the Technics SL110..
Yet on a TD160 mk 2 B..It just doesn't pull together to sound like music..
The AT cartridges mentioned above,they are pretty uniform across both tonearms..
The Thorens definitely likes the AT91 rather than the AT 95 E..

So I think there is much more to it all..
Say an Audio Technica and a Shure,now they are completely different..