My vintage Shure cartridge undertaking

the thin end of the wedge
62vauxhall

My vintage Shure cartridge undertaking

Post by 62vauxhall » 21 Jul 2019 07:37

Two years ago i bought a Dual 1009 that came with a Shure M7-N21D. Cartridge good, stylus good - all good and bought a 78 stylus for it.

Last year I found an M7D with no stylus and bought it to go on an Elac 10. Got the spherical stylus that tracks at 3 to 5 grams as well as it's own stylus for 78's so all good with that one.

The other day I was given an M3D with a trashed stylus and looking for a new one not been definitive.

According to Shure's own literature of the time, an original N3D stock stylus was conical and tracked at 3 to 5 grams but the N21D was an upgrade. It was also conical but recommended tracking force was 2 grams.

Being partial to Tonar, I checked for availability and found a spherical that tracks at 3 to 5 grams (part #00194-DS) but also an elliptical which by virtue of the black mark on the cantilever is made by Jico (part #00194-DE) but no recommended tracking force provided.

My thought for this M3D was to use it from time to time on an as yet to be acquired Thorens TD124 II with an SME 3009 type II improved S2 with detachable headshell.

My question is does anyone know or can anyone speculate what tracking force that "Made by Jico" elliptical would require?

My objective would be for one to duplicate that N21D stylus and track at 2 grams.

Collux
Australia

Re: My vintage Shure cartridge undertaking

Post by Collux » 21 Jul 2019 09:58

I suspect the Jico would track similarly to the SHURE.
-you should contact Jico for confirmation.
Attachments
SHURE_Astatic_magnetic_needles_NMR series-page-001.jpg
(252.27 KiB) Downloaded 81 times

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 22 Jul 2019 04:19

Your SME 3009 S2 Improved is for low mass, high compliance options. Shure M3D is best used on a high mass arm, and stylus support is fading away.

62vauxhall

Post by 62vauxhall » 22 Jul 2019 13:40

Yes, I suspect there might be a compatibility issue concerning mass but I wished to experiment with several cartridges. If it doesn't work - it doesn't work and I'll use the M3D elsewhere.

Generally, I shy away from e-bay stylus vendors but last night I found one in Canada selling a stylus compatible with an M3D. Since tracking force was claimed to be 1.5 to 2.5 grams, I ordered one. Price was $30 so somewhat affordable.