advice for replacement stylus

the thin end of the wedge
trent77
United States of America

advice for replacement stylus

Post by trent77 » 10 Jul 2019 23:45

Hello, I would like to replace the stylus/needle on my old technics turntable and I was told that the Audio Technica ATP 231 lp P-mount is no longer made. What would you suggest as a good replacement stylus? I would appreciate your suggestions, Thank you.

Sunwire
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: advice for replacement stylus

Post by Sunwire » 11 Jul 2019 00:19

This would be a good replacement. It's from the next lower model in the series of which your 231LP was the top model.
The price is pretty reasonable for the quality and performance of the stylus. It should sound very close to the original stylus. The performance specifications are virtually identical. It is a nude, square shanked diamond with a very sharp elliptical tip. Nothing else will be as close to your original stylus, unless you can find an ATN231LP from new old stock on ebay:
https://www.lpgear.com/product/ATN221EP.html

If you don't want to spend that much and just want something to keep it playing, this is probably the lowest priced stylus you will find of reasonable quality:
https://thevoiceofmusic.com/catalog/par ... ategories=

trent77
United States of America

Post by trent77 » 11 Jul 2019 20:47

Sunwire: Thank you for the recommendation. I will take a look at the ATN221 EP.

rnshwa16

Post by rnshwa16 » 12 Jul 2019 18:07

What's the model of that Technics? If it'll take 1/2" cartridges you have many options. If you're stuck with P-Mounts, you can either go for an aftermarket stylus or seek out. One of the NOS (new old stock) offerings on eBay.