Loading the GE RPX and VR Cartridges

the thin end of the wedge
edgarryan

Loading the GE RPX and VR Cartridges

Post by edgarryan » 11 Jun 2019 21:01

I want to experiment without opening up my phonostage. The recommended loading of these old GE mono cartridges is 100K ohms. My phono preamp is 47k ohms. How do I change the loading? Is it possible to do it this way:

Turntable --> Resistor --> Phono preamp?

If so, what resistor value do I use, and where do I connect it?

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: Loading the GE RPX and VR Cartridges

Post by Coffee Phil » 12 Jun 2019 18:04

Hi edgarryan,

I believe that you are correct about the recommended load resistance for those cartridges. I don't know what the recommended capacitance is or even if GE published that.

To load the cartridge with 100 k Ohms you would put a 47 k Ohm (or more precisely 53 k Ohm) in series with your 47 k Ohm input. You should put a capacitor of the input capacitance of your phono stage across the resistor.

You will get a 6 dB loss but the RPX has a whopping output as magnetic cartridges go, so it may be OK.

My RPX is mounted in a "knock-off" SME type shell and connected to both channels so it sees a ~ 25 K k Ohm load. I know that is not ideal, but it sounds pretty good with my 78s and mono Lps.

Phil
edgarryan wrote:
11 Jun 2019 21:01
I want to experiment without opening up my phonostage. The recommended loading of these old GE mono cartridges is 100K ohms. My phono preamp is 47k ohms. How do I change the loading? Is it possible to do it this way:

Turntable --> Resistor --> Phono preamp?

If so, what resistor value do I use, and where do I connect it?

edgarryan

Post by edgarryan » 12 Jun 2019 18:59

Thanks for the reply. Basically, my problem is this: my VR and RPX have distorted highs and not enough bass. I read somewhere that changing the loading would correct this. If I were to use some sort of passive attenuator, would that work? If so, what resistor values should I use; more specifically, if I'm going to connect 47K to the signal, what resistor value should I connect to the ground? I'm no electrical engineer, so I'm not really sure about what I'm doing.

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 13 Jun 2019 04:47

Hi edgarryan,

What I described in my last post IS a passive attenuator.

If you would like I’ll draw up a schematic and post it. With what I posted I assumed that you want to connect the cartridge to a single channel 47 k Ohm input of a phono stage. Is this so? If you want to go to both a right and left input, I’ll draw a circuit for that.

What is the input capacitance of your phono stage?

Phil

edgarryan wrote:
12 Jun 2019 18:59
Thanks for the reply. Basically, my problem is this: my VR and RPX have distorted highs and not enough bass. I read somewhere that changing the loading would correct this. If I were to use some sort of passive attenuator, would that work? If so, what resistor values should I use; more specifically, if I'm going to connect 47K to the signal, what resistor value should I connect to the ground? I'm no electrical engineer, so I'm not really sure about what I'm doing.