Favorite cartridge for "beater" records?

the thin end of the wedge
Post Reply
mamakasou
senior member
senior member
Greece
Posts: 648
Joined: 30 Dec 2014 15:04

Re: Favorite cartridge for "beater" records?

Post by mamakasou » 13 Jun 2019 10:07

cafe latte wrote:
13 Jun 2019 09:25
The trackmaster II with a snipped down Shibata or vivid line for a Stanton 881 sounds amazing actually rivalling some very serious carts.
Chris
I bet it does Chris, since it sounds pretty darn good even with a plain 0.7mil conical.
Same internals I think...?

Has a spacious and liquid performance.
I was pleasantly surprised and actually named it "the Pickering 380 alternative".
However, I do remember that these things weren't exactly cheap back in the day.

Pure_brew
member
member
Posts: 109
Joined: 15 Nov 2011 07:14

Re: Favorite cartridge for "beater" records?

Post by Pure_brew » 13 Jun 2019 10:59

billshurv wrote:
12 Jun 2019 21:12
Pure_brew wrote:
12 Jun 2019 12:38

In my opinion, the SC35C needs a beefy tonearm to sound any good, so I think in reality, the turntable/arm should be considered.
Can't argue that the SC35C needs a heavy tonearm to cope with its loooow compliance, but not sure that the table or arm matters too much from the point of view of beaters.

As I have said before, I play all records on my best stylus first. If there are issues it gets put aside on the 'experiment' pile to try on others. I would like to try and get some correlation one day but that will be a while away.
I'm a little more paranoid on first play of a used record that there isn't some other hidden damage that could damage or shorten the life of the microline stylus. If the results from the m97xe stock stylus is ok on a really clean looking record, or, if the record is a bit worn looking but plays decently on a m35x - I'll play it with the jico-sas and store it with all the records I would consider "safe".

I'm using the SC35C less these days because I don't have the extra headshell for the turntable I am using right now.

The small section of records I have in the "beater" pile, which I consider still playable gets the m35x stylus still. That pile is not growing, because I don't buy trash records anymore.

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia
Posts: 11256
Joined: 11 Oct 2009 04:27
Location: Cattle property near Ravenshoe Qld Australia

Re: Favorite cartridge for "beater" records?

Post by cafe latte » 13 Jun 2019 11:17

mamakasou wrote:
13 Jun 2019 10:07
cafe latte wrote:
13 Jun 2019 09:25
The trackmaster II with a snipped down Shibata or vivid line for a Stanton 881 sounds amazing actually rivalling some very serious carts.
Chris
I bet it does Chris, since it sounds pretty darn good even with a plain 0.7mil conical.
Same internals I think...?

Has a spacious and liquid performance.
I was pleasantly surprised and actually named it "the Pickering 380 alternative".
However, I do remember that these things weren't exactly cheap back in the day.
No internals are different, but in a way better due to coil arrangement. Scary how good the Trackmaster do cart can sound.

banerjba
long player
long player
Posts: 1033
Joined: 19 Mar 2009 16:25
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Re: Favorite cartridge for "beater" records?

Post by banerjba » 14 Jun 2019 02:58

The Rega Carbon is relatively affordable and appears to be a tarted up AT 3600, although output is slightly lower and tracking force range is slightly higher.

I like cheap cartridges like this. Mine is running into a a 2-box Clearaudio phono pre with Nordost Blue Heaven power cord and Red Dawn interconnect. Amazing sound from a dirt cheap cartridge because of this nearly $2K phono pre set up. I would rather spend money on the non consumable end of the system.

Roberto C2H3
long player
long player
Argentina
Posts: 1601
Joined: 12 Jun 2014 12:54
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Re: Favorite cartridge for "beater" records?

Post by Roberto C2H3 » 14 Jun 2019 03:38

banerjba wrote:
14 Jun 2019 02:58
The Rega Carbon is relatively affordable and appears to be a tarted up AT 3600, although output is slightly lower and tracking force range is slightly higher.

I like cheap cartridges like this. Mine is running into a a 2-box Clearaudio phono pre with Nordost Blue Heaven power cord and Red Dawn interconnect. Amazing sound from a dirt cheap cartridge because of this nearly $2K phono pre set up. I would rather spend money on the non consumable end of the system.
I'm curious, have you tried more expensive cartridges that are compatible with your tonearm? Folks in this forum generally have a much lower ratio of the cost of their phono pre set up divided by the cost of their cartridge.

banerjba
long player
long player
Posts: 1033
Joined: 19 Mar 2009 16:25
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Re: Favorite cartridge for "beater" records?

Post by banerjba » 14 Jun 2019 03:53

Yes, I have more than one turntable and quite a number of cartridges. I was just curious to try this table with this phono pre with this excellent cheap cartridge. It is on a Rega turntable.

Roberto C2H3
long player
long player
Argentina
Posts: 1601
Joined: 12 Jun 2014 12:54
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Re: Favorite cartridge for "beater" records?

Post by Roberto C2H3 » 14 Jun 2019 04:04

banerjba wrote:
14 Jun 2019 03:53
Yes, I have more than one turntable and quite a number of cartridges. I was just curious to try this table with this phono pre with this excellent cheap cartridge. It is on a Rega turntable.
IMO, experimenting different combinations is one of funnest aspect of this hobby.

I'm awaiting for an AT-91 to arrive in the mail. Since returning to turntables five years ago I have yet to listen to a conical in my set up.

Best from the Pampas,
roberto

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia
Posts: 11256
Joined: 11 Oct 2009 04:27
Location: Cattle property near Ravenshoe Qld Australia

Re: Favorite cartridge for "beater" records?

Post by cafe latte » 14 Jun 2019 10:11

banerjba wrote:
14 Jun 2019 02:58
The Rega Carbon is relatively affordable and appears to be a tarted up AT 3600, although output is slightly lower and tracking force range is slightly higher.

I like cheap cartridges like this. Mine is running into a a 2-box Clearaudio phono pre with Nordost Blue Heaven power cord and Red Dawn interconnect. Amazing sound from a dirt cheap cartridge because of this nearly $2K phono pre set up. I would rather spend money on the non consumable end of the system.
No they are identical and tests online proved it. Tracking force is listed as less, but the at3600l runs at 2.5g no problem.
Chris

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia
Posts: 11256
Joined: 11 Oct 2009 04:27
Location: Cattle property near Ravenshoe Qld Australia

Re: Favorite cartridge for "beater" records?

Post by cafe latte » 14 Jun 2019 10:16

Roberto C2H3 wrote:
14 Jun 2019 04:04
banerjba wrote:
14 Jun 2019 03:53
Yes, I have more than one turntable and quite a number of cartridges. I was just curious to try this table with this phono pre with this excellent cheap cartridge. It is on a Rega turntable.
IMO, experimenting different combinations is one of funnest aspect of this hobby.

I'm awaiting for an AT-91 to arrive in the mail. Since returning to turntables five years ago I have yet to listen to a conical in my set up.

Best from the Pampas,
roberto
I have over 40 carts and many around the 1.5, 1.8k Mark, but I regularly listen to my at300l, not a giant killer but a pure fun cart on the right arm very good indeed if all else is good.

Roberto C2H3
long player
long player
Argentina
Posts: 1601
Joined: 12 Jun 2014 12:54
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Re: Favorite cartridge for "beater" records?

Post by Roberto C2H3 » 14 Jun 2019 14:49

cafe latte wrote:
14 Jun 2019 10:16
Roberto C2H3 wrote:
14 Jun 2019 04:04
banerjba wrote:
14 Jun 2019 03:53
Yes, I have more than one turntable and quite a number of cartridges. I was just curious to try this table with this phono pre with this excellent cheap cartridge. It is on a Rega turntable.
IMO, experimenting different combinations is one of funnest aspect of this hobby.

I'm awaiting for an AT-91 to arrive in the mail. Since returning to turntables five years ago I have yet to listen to a conical in my set up.

Best from the Pampas,
roberto
I have over 40 carts and many around the 1.5, 1.8k Mark, but I regularly listen to my at300l, not a giant killer but a pure fun cart on the right arm very good indeed if all else is good.
Cool cafe latte 8) I'm hoping the AT 91 will give me some of that fun "juke box" type of sound.

Although I imagine I will be reverting to my more "senior" carts for my core listening and certainly for recording cassettes 8)

Best from the Pampas,
roberto

banerjba
long player
long player
Posts: 1033
Joined: 19 Mar 2009 16:25
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Re: Favorite cartridge for "beater" records?

Post by banerjba » 15 Jun 2019 00:54

I think the AT91 is almost identical to the Linn Basik that used to come with the LP12 turntable in the 1980s. I had one on my Revolver Rebel and loved it. The Linn Basik actually looked more the the LP Gear AT95c (yellow body and conical stylus). This LP Gear variant is more refined than the Linn version and has a stiffer cantilever than the stock AT95e, so it is more dynamic sounding. The stock AT95e is capable of much greater detail.

My Rega 2 with the Carbon is going back due to a motor issue - they have deal on the 3 with an Elyse2 so I will lose this lovely cheap cartridge. I owned the Elyse2 10 years ago on a prior Rega and did not love it but my system is better now so maybe it will be better. Elyse is not a beater but very durable - good for at least a couple of thousand hours so I should get a couple of years out of that cartridge.

goatbreath
long player
long player
Scotland
Posts: 2562
Joined: 17 Mar 2010 16:54
Location: Edinbugger

Re: Favorite cartridge for "beater" records?

Post by goatbreath » 15 Jun 2019 05:12

The Linn Basik was the AT 93 later renamed the AT 95 without the E.
From Memory mine had an Aluminium cantilever rather than a carbon one though..
I had an AT 95..

So I. guess the AT 91 R would be closer..
I'm not sure if the AT 93 was a point six or point 7 conical..

I wonder if anyone has done a comparison between the AT 91 and AT 91 R..
That would be interesting..

chiz
senior member
senior member
Great Britain
Posts: 916
Joined: 16 Oct 2009 23:05
Location: London

Re: Favorite cartridge for "beater" records?

Post by chiz » 15 Jun 2019 12:16

goatbreath wrote:
15 Jun 2019 05:12
The Linn Basik was the AT 93 later renamed the AT 95 without the E.
From Memory mine had an Aluminium cantilever rather than a carbon one though..
I had an AT 95..

So I. guess the AT 91 R would be closer..
I'm not sure if the AT 93 was a point six or point 7 conical..

I wonder if anyone has done a comparison between the AT 91 and AT 91 R..
That would be interesting..
I have a couple of ATN-93, specs I've seen say 0.6 mil.
IMG_9181.JPG
(145.51 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
I also have both the AT91 and ATN91R. I haven't done any in depth comparisons or measurements but from a quick A/B the 91R seemed a bit cleaner / more refined to me.

In my opinion both sound very good considering the low price and the carbon reinforced plastic cantilever of the 91 seems very durable and will probably stand up well to rough handling.

Cygnus Vismund
junior member
junior member
United States of America
Posts: 13
Joined: 13 Jun 2019 03:31

Re: Favorite cartridge for "beater" records?

Post by Cygnus Vismund » 16 Jun 2019 15:11

Used to use Ortofon Concord for that. They track through anything and easy to switch out without having to fuss with too much. But they track heavy.

Been breaking in a Grado Prestige Black2. This thing has much more fidelity. So far on a few records I was going to replace, because of surface noise. It's playing them back quieter while bringing out new sounds and being more musical than the DJ cartridge. Im honestly stunned with it and they are only $75. Oh yeah, it also uses an elliptical stylus and tracks lighter.

Edit* Apparently I bought the Blue model which is $125.
Last edited by Cygnus Vismund on 16 Jun 2019 15:48, edited 2 times in total.

banerjba
long player
long player
Posts: 1033
Joined: 19 Mar 2009 16:25
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Re: Favorite cartridge for "beater" records?

Post by banerjba » 16 Jun 2019 15:15

Grados are amazing. Love the Prestige series and they have 2500 hour stylus life if you keep your records and the stylus clean.

Once you are done with the Black tip, you can swap out for any other Prestige tip. You can upgrade to the higher spec Green (it is noticeably nicer sounding even though the basics are the same).

Post Reply