Favorite cartridge for "beater" records?

the thin end of the wedge
AudioFeline
Australia

Re: Favorite cartridge for "beater" records?

Post by AudioFeline » 02 Jun 2019 03:51

And when we are talking about swapping cartridges to play different records, I assume we are saying that we would have the cartridges mounted in different headshells, weighted the same, so swapping the headshells is an easy process to use different carts.

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia

Post by cafe latte » 02 Jun 2019 07:55

AudioFeline wrote:
02 Jun 2019 03:51
And when we are talking about swapping cartridges to play different records, I assume we are saying that we would have the cartridges mounted in different headshells, weighted the same, so swapping the headshells is an easy process to use different carts.
I have 5 turntables, but many carts mounted on headshell. I have list next to my Technics with arm heights, tracking force etc for each cart. Headshell are weighted the same, but balancing the arm is a few seconds.
Chris

raphaelmabo
long player
long player
Sweden

Post by raphaelmabo » 02 Jun 2019 09:40

I have two turntables, two Thorens. My plan is to use the LP Gear The Vessel A3SE on my TD280 for flea market records. And replace the Benz MC Silver HO MC on my TD203 with a Benz MC Gold LO MC or a Goldring Eroica LX, for records in better shape. I need to upgrade my phono pre-amp also, to one with two inputs. At the moment, I don’t have the funds but this is the plan. 😊

raphaelmabo
long player
long player
Sweden

Post by raphaelmabo » 02 Jun 2019 19:24

Sunwire wrote:
02 Jun 2019 03:41
I haven't made any kind of "final" decision about this, but as of right now I think your best cartridge makes EVERY record sound its best. Even if the record is a beater. Just clean it as best you can before you play it.
I haven't found any magic cartridge that makes worn records sound better than using my best cartridge/stylus combination.
My experience is that scratched and mistreated records is more playable with cartridges that is more forgiving and less detailed. Better cartridges shows more of the damages in the records. So records in good shape sounds better with good cartridges, but records in bad shape is hardly playable with a good cartridge.

wart

Post by wart » 02 Jun 2019 20:48

The more modern and advanced stylus profile you'll use especially in conjunction with softer suspension the more pops and cracks you'll get in the sound.

It's not good to say that you have to use junk in order to play old, scratchy records :D

billshurv
long player
long player

Post by billshurv » 02 Jun 2019 21:48

I'm generally with Sunwire on this which is why I asked a question a couple of pages back that no one answered! There are pages and pages of arguments on here about which cartridge gives lowest noise/deals best with worn records and absolutely no conclusions. Up until very recently I've only run advanced profiles (this evening a 0.5mil conical) and really not noticed a problem. Not sure anyone has actually compared rips of same track with different profiles and counted clicks?

For first play of dodgy looking records then it might be worth a cheap diamond but otherwise not sure.

wart

Post by wart » 02 Jun 2019 22:56

there is no conclusion in this - it's a joy to choose :D

But to be more specific about the matter - if I do buy dirty/well used record - I do wash it and play once or twice and afterwards I do wash it again. It really helps to "declick" and to remove debris from groove
After 2nd washing it's not important what you'll use - IMO it's safe to use any cartridge according your preference.

But if you want to mask something like clicks you have to use good cartridge not "hidden gem from China".
Usually for that purpose used low compliance LOMC. If I want to hear a Mingus from a first press LP I don't want to use AT 3600L as record is too expensive.

lbls1
United States of America

Post by lbls1 » 03 Jun 2019 02:13

Before I bought a replacement stylus for my Shure M44c I thought this cartridge was actually fairly dynamic across a lot of records. With the new N44-7 stylus, in which it improved my M44c's overall performance, I am not willing to play any abused records of any kind. The records played on my turntable(s) have to be in at least "good" condition before being played. I had to replace a couple of my favorite records because of my unwillingness to play them on my good stylus/cartridges.

Boltman92124

Post by Boltman92124 » 03 Jun 2019 15:56

LP Gear CF3600le. Elliptical stylus and very upgraded sound from the stock AT3600. It tracks through landmines very nicely too. And only $30 to replace.

cats squirrel
long player
long player
England

Post by cats squirrel » 03 Jun 2019 16:26

my latest day-to-day cart is the Goldring E3, made by AT, I believe.

It is kind to 'older' records, and even works well with mono recordings. Not too fussy about fluff build-up, either. It has a couple lesser styli, including a conical, but I haven't tried those, yet.

I buy lots of charidy shop records, and generally find most 'classical' records are in good condition. Jazz not too bad, either, but rock/pop is a total lottery.

Roberto C2H3
long player
long player
Argentina

Post by Roberto C2H3 » 03 Jun 2019 21:09

circularvibes wrote:
02 Jun 2019 03:06
Roberto C2H3 wrote:
02 Jun 2019 01:10
Unless your budget does not allow for an un scheduled stylus replacement, of late I have come to the conclusion to recommend just using your main cartridge(s) for any record you want to listen to. How many lives do we have? :?:
I have to agree for two reasons. First, all my used discs get thoroughly wet cleaned. Second, it is dirt, not scratches that harm the diamond. My MicroLine tip is almost 3 years old and still plays CD4 records accurately. If a disc is badly warped enough to cause jumping, it won't go on that table, maybe a ceramic cartridge on a changer though.
+ 1 on the above circularvibes 8)

All efforts to thoroughly clean a used record prior to playing it are well worth it. The same applies IMO to new records :)

Roberto C2H3
long player
long player
Argentina

Post by Roberto C2H3 » 03 Jun 2019 21:10

Sunwire wrote:
02 Jun 2019 03:41
I think your best cartridge makes EVERY record sound its best. Even if the record is a beater. Just clean it as best you can before you play it.
I haven't found any magic cartridge that makes worn records sound better than using my best cartridge/stylus combination.
+ 1 on the above Sunwire 8)

goatbreath
long player
long player

Post by goatbreath » 04 Jun 2019 12:03

I have found that using a more advanced tip at times can make less than excellent condition records an ordeal to listen to..Play them with a conical..The conical being less critical,it makes those records pleasant to listen to.You can't get a cartridge that makes every record sound best,it's just not possible..If you could,that would be the so called magic cartridge.... Many records with pre distortion were not meant to be played with elliptical or more advanced tips..Plus I find a lot of my older Mono records work better with a conical too..Also the point 6 thou conical touching the groove in a different place seems to bring fresh life to many records too..So there is no magic involved as far as a magic cartridge goes..I will always have a turntable with a point 6 conical in service..I also have one with an Audio Technica Microline in service too..Plus one with a Shure 3x7 copy stylus..A 3 tier system..I could omit the 3x7 Shure if I had to,but the other 2..No..Also look at what a Microline would do to styrene..

billshurv
long player
long player

Post by billshurv » 04 Jun 2019 12:27

Thing is a worn record is likely to have been worn with a 0.7 conical so a microridge/shibata/gyger/vdh tip is more likely to get at unworn groove than a 0.6. For noisy vinyl the higher the contact area the lower the friction so 'should' be quieter. The fact that people find the opposite to be true suggests something that needs investigating. If only for fun...

wart

Post by wart » 04 Jun 2019 12:48

Maybe the day will come then not only stylus shape will be discussed.
I'll believe it when I see it.