Technics U25 different styli

the thin end of the wedge
darg

Technics U25 different styli

Post by darg » 24 May 2019 05:12

Hi guys,

I got my hands on a Toshiba SR-F200 which came with a Technics U25 cartridge. Unfortunately it has seen better days, the diamond tip is gone and the cantilever is bend.
I was looking for a replacement stylus and stumbled apon two different styli on the LPGear page. One is for a Technics SL-D202 and then other for SL-D303. Both tables had these at some time but why or what would be the difference?

In parallel I have mounted one of these cheap AT3600L cartridges which seems to work but there two things that make me want to look for the Techniks stylus to run the original cartridge.
One is that I can only get 2.0g vtf. The weight on the arm bumps against a plastic pin which keeps it from going further in. If it could go further in for more force it might interfere with the arm suspension so I would need to shave the weight.
Second is that the mounting angle is less steep on the AT3600L. The Technics seem to come down in a steeper angle which keeps the tip more upright, with the AT3600L the diamond tip might not be fully perpendicular to the record. It works at first but with the lower vtf it's a little bit bass shy. I get better response on my other table with 3g.
Anybody knows how to identify which stylus I need? The LPGear page shows identical pictures for the stylus but mentions extra to compare. Both pics would fit my version so what's going onnthere?
Thanks

Axel

darg

Re: Technics U25 different styli

Post by darg » 24 May 2019 17:17

Looking at the stylus of my cart I don't see any difference to either the SL-D202 or 303
20190523_205313.jpg
(108.21 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
20190523_205221.jpg
(109.72 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
20190523_205159.jpg
(114.74 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
Any input?!

Isaskar
Sweden

Post by Isaskar » 24 May 2019 19:18

That cartridge body can take a lot of different styli, including those for P-mount cartridges like the P22, P23 and P24. Don't worry too much about the specifics, since you have a turntable with an adjustable counterweight and anti-skating you can use whichever you want. Just match the tracking force to whatever stylus you end up using. If it looks like the one you have, it'll fit, so get one with the specs you want (conical vs eliptical, etc.) rather than worry about getting an exact replacement.

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 27 May 2019 22:34

darg wrote:
24 May 2019 05:12
In parallel I have mounted one of these cheap AT3600L cartridges which seems to work but there two things that make me want to look for the Techniks stylus to run the original cartridge.
One is that I can only get 2.0g vtf. The weight on the arm bumps against a plastic pin which keeps it from going further in. If it could go further in for more force it might interfere with the arm suspension so I would need to shave the weight.
The AT3600 is a rather lightweight cartridge, and it's also rather short. You can fix both of these issues by simply adding a spacer weight between the cartridge and the headshell. These weights typically add about 2mm to 3mm of height to the cartridge, and 2g to 3g of weight. That will solve your problem. :)

Here is one for $5:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Turntable-Head ... SwjH5axohQ

Or search for "headshell spacer" or "headshell weight" on eBay

Sunwire
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Sunwire » 27 May 2019 23:30

It's strange that LPGear even sells those needles for the two specific Technics turntables.
I doubt very much there is any difference between the two needles.
All of the EPS-2x and EPS-202 needles should work on your cartridge.
The one intended for your cartridge is the EPS-25ES. But EPS-22ES, EPS-23ES, EPS-24CS, etc will all work.
Generally, the letter after the number indicates whether the stylus is elliptical (ES, or ED) or conical (CS)

The best replacement stylus for your cartridge would be the Jico SAS.
LPGear has one for $199 and another for $259. They appear to be the same stylus, so I would go for the less expensive one.
The next step down is probably the VividLine stylus at $79.95 or $99.95 (again, they appear to be the same, so go with the less expensive one).
There is also a HyperElliptical stylus for $79.95. I don't know if that's the same or different from the VividLine.
Then there is an elliptical for $29.95 and a conical for $26.95.

I think LPGear has made things much more confusing by having so many different model names for what appear to be the same needles.

If you go to this page and download the Technics phono cartridge brochure, you'll see it contains information about the EPC-U25 cartridge.
https://www.vinylengine.com/library/tec ... tems.shtml

It is the same cartridge body as the EPC-P22, P23, P24, P25 and a few others that came later.
The needles are interchangeable between all these cartridges.
They are very high quality.
If you decide you don't want to use it for some reason, you could easily sell the cartridge body on ebay.

Sunwire
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Sunwire » 28 May 2019 21:07

Another option is to buy a new old stock Technics stylus. I almost bought this one, but I already have more needles than I will probably ever use.
The price seems pretty reasonable. As time goes on and these become more rare, the price will go up.
It is an elliptical and I believe the dimensions are 0.3 x 0.7 mil. I believe it is identical to what came on the EPC-U25 originally, but I could be wrong about that.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/143271196967?ul_noapp=true

darg

Post by darg » 31 May 2019 00:12

A stylus for $199 isn't going to happen :-) I was looking at $27 which seems reasonable with the background that I'm not sure if the cartridge still works. A bent stylus and ripped out tip tells me a story of a hard crash so who knows.
Since I rigged up some weight and will get a spacer plate to make it right the AT cart sounds much better now so that would be hard to beat.