AP-D3 Akai headshell

the thin end of the wedge
Audiodevil
Greece

AP-D3 Akai headshell

Post by Audiodevil » 22 May 2019 05:12

Greetings to all

Newbie here and this is my first post at vinyl engine.

So hello everyone :D

At the moment I’m refurbishing an Akai AP-D3 turntable and it goes great except the missing headshell HS-1 that been written in the manual with the part code no TP – 712673 and the original cartridge..

I can’t find any shop or maker to get it.

Any suggestions or any info of how can be found?

[-o<

Thanks for your time
Panos

AudioFeline
Australia

Re: AP-D3 Akai headshell

Post by AudioFeline » 22 May 2019 07:38

Welcome to the forum Panos.

From a quick look at internet pics, the Akai has a straight tonearm. I would expect any generic straight-arm headshell to fit - you can recognise them by the headshell being at an angle to the connector. These should be easy and affordable on ebay, etc. No need to buy an expensive version, the cheap ones should be fine for your turntable.

The other type of connector is designed for S-shaped arms, and is often called a "SME" design, and these are recognisable because the connector is in-line with the headshell.

I would expect that the headshell connector is standard on the Akai.

Audiodevil
Greece

Post by Audiodevil » 22 May 2019 09:38

Audiofeline thank you for the instant reply.

I’m looking for your recommendation but the only thing I found is female plug angled headshells.
The tone arm is also female expecting 4 pins to fit in the plug from the headshell.

Right now I’m testing with a universal that normally wold not fit; but I manage to sand it 1cm smaller in diameter to be used for testing.

But I’m worried about the tone arm joint not to get loose because it’s a metallic headshell with really short pins that just touch the connection on the tone arm when it’s forced in.

I’ll keep looking and on universal Japanese turntable headshells and will let you know if I find anything that fit perfect.

Have a great day.

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 22 May 2019 12:52

Have a look at this thread: https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 56#p965256

It could be a Decca or Connoisseur. I've seen these advertised on eBay, and probably by some of the turntable accessories websites.

Audiodevil
Greece

Post by Audiodevil » 22 May 2019 14:15

First of all thanks for the interest!

The headshell on the picture is a combination of female and male plug... it not the ap-d3’s type.

Imagine the tonearm is female that the part of the headshell slip in and the connectors of the tone arm is waiting inside the needles that Decca and Connoisseur have but not in cross formation.. it’s like a box :: this shape on Ap-d3 (top bottom L +,- and R +,-)

I’ll post some photos of the tone arm after work.

Cheers and thank you!!

tcolegrove
United States of America

Post by tcolegrove » 22 May 2019 14:57

From what I can see from online pictures and the drawings from Akai service manuals, I think this might work for you: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Unbranded-Turn ... SwbX1cGWyI

(yes, I'm affiliated with it) :)

Audiodevil
Greece

Post by Audiodevil » 22 May 2019 18:31

Tcolegrove hi and thanks for the input!

As far as my search proceeds the closest connector to the tone arm of the Ap-d3 is this Thorens.

https://images.app.goo.gl/YCaCMgU1Rm3ow39d7

I’m thinking to give it a try...I hope the balance won’t be terrible.

Is there any kind of this Thorens that can be found in other brand?

tcolegrove
United States of America

Post by tcolegrove » 22 May 2019 18:39

Actually, the link i sent was the wrong style of headshell. If you're looking for the angled style, standard mount (SME style) headshell like the Thorens - you should also look for the Denon DP-300F headshell. It also has the angled headshell.

Good luck with the hunt!

Audiodevil
Greece

Post by Audiodevil » 23 May 2019 13:49

Greeting and have a great day!

At the moment the detail I’m looking for on this headshell is the pins extended at the tone arm side... that’s the only tricky part I found a plug without the shell cover that made me want to make a custom one my self.

I’ll let you know when it’s ready.