Shure M97xE failure

the thin end of the wedge
solvin_dk

Re: Shure M97xE failure

Post by solvin_dk » 26 May 2019 14:28

Hi

As I have been reading about Shure’s latest cartridge, the M97xE. Some have problems whit the internal soldering, from the wire to the output connection. M97xE cartridge is made in Mexico. The quality control, have not been very good from Shure.

I would use a little bit of epoxy to re assemble the cartridge, so you can align it 100% 5 minute epoxy would do the job.

Best regards,

Torben Pedersen
Denmark

ripblade
long player
long player
Canada

Post by ripblade » 26 May 2019 16:12

solvin_dk wrote:
26 May 2019 14:28
Hi

As I have been reading about Shure’s latest cartridge, the M97xE. Some have problems whit the internal soldering, from the wire to the output connection.
I have one with this problem. It was like this when I got it, but I assume it got that way by tugging the tags on and off, similar to the failure some Ortofons have with their pins falling out.
BMRR wrote:
23 May 2019 21:12
The 97xE has always been a controversial cart, and always will be. People either love them or hate them. There's not much middle ground. The older members of the 97 series such as the 97ED and 97HE were much bigger crowd pleasers.
The Shure sound has a 'love it or leave it' reputation to begin with. The 97xe is least favourite among those who love the Shure sound, so it doesn't get much love from any side. The one thing it had going for it IMO was the cast alloy shoe the OP just recently re-attached. It's a cut above in world of plastic bodies, and no doubt one of the reasons Shure chose to qualify it as an 'audiophile' cartridge.

katana1100

Post by katana1100 » 26 May 2019 16:53

“It's a cut above in world of plastic bodies, and no doubt one of the reasons Shure chose to qualify it as an 'audiophile' cartridge.”

The only reason they called it an “audiophile cartridge” is shared with why Sanyo called their Fisher labeled junk “ studio standard “-
it was marketing , no more.
Hyperbole at its finest.

ripblade
long player
long player
Canada

Post by ripblade » 26 May 2019 18:20

katana1100 wrote:
26 May 2019 16:53
“It's a cut above in world of plastic bodies, and no doubt one of the reasons Shure chose to qualify it as an 'audiophile' cartridge.”

The only reason they called it an “audiophile cartridge” is shared with why Sanyo called their Fisher labeled junk “ studio standard “-
it was marketing , no more.
Hyperbole at its finest.
In most cases I'd agree, however, the cast alloy shoe was relatively expensive to produce and rarely seen until you got into cartridges that cost 5x as much, where milled alloy bodes become more common. The mere existence of it is proof it is not just marketing hyperbole.