Ortofon 10 Super

the thin end of the wedge
couldbfishin
United States of America

Ortofon 10 Super

Post by couldbfishin » 20 May 2019 20:37

I am sending 2-3 Denon cartridges (110, 160 and 301 II) to a guy for rebuilding. I also have a used Ortofon 10 Super that came on a turntable I purchased. I read 4-5 reviews of the cartridge by members of VE, most said it is a good sounding low priced MC cartridge.

It is discontinued as I understand. I am trying to find someone who knows the cartridge, and if possible, someone who had one rebuilt. Is it worth putting $150 into for a new cantilever and stylus?

Thanks for your opinion.

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Re: Ortofon 10 Super

Post by Alec124c41 » 20 May 2019 20:44

If that is the OM-10 Super, there is no need to get it rebuilt. You can simply replace the stylus assembly.
You could consider upgrading to an OM-20 or OM-30 stylus.

Cheers,
Alec

billshurv
long player
long player

Post by billshurv » 21 May 2019 00:35

I think we are talking about the MC-10 Super. Now I do have one in need of a rebuild so I cannot comment on how good they are but for $150 you can't get much these days.

couldbfishin
United States of America

Post by couldbfishin » 21 May 2019 03:29

Sorry, my bad. It is indeed the Ortofon MC 10 Super. I have tried to change the title on this thread but haven't figured it out yet.
The cantilever and stylus don't appear to be exchangeable. At least not by me. It is blue, with gold lettering on black background, on the face. It also has the Made in Denmark sticker on it.
And, I am guessing on what this guy will charge, based on quotes he has given me for exchanges on other cartridges.
So, back to my original question. How good is the Ortofon MC 10 and is it worth rebuilding?

And, billsurv, if I send it for repairs and he does a good job, I will let you know. You may want to send your MC 10 Super off for repair also.

raphaelmabo
long player
long player
Sweden

Post by raphaelmabo » 21 May 2019 08:21

The MC10 Super is a MC cartridge with a fixed stylus assembly, this is normal for a MC cartridge. The OM-serie has replaceable stylus, but the MC serie does not. The MC 10 Super is indeed discontinued, years ago. Here you can find Ortofons original brochures.
https://www.ortofon.com/mc-super-series-p-637

As you can see, the MC10 Super has a nude elliptical, so a little more advanced than the standard elliptical. The MC Super line was replaced by the MC Turbo, but the MC-1 Turbo has a simpler non-nude elliptical so from specifications the MC-10 Super seems to be better. The MC-3 Turbo has a fine line stylus, so this may be a better cartridge than the MC-10 Super, but this one would cost more than re-tipping the MC-10 Super - the MC-3 Turbo cost 380 euro.
https://www.ortofon.com/mc-3-turbo-p-553

Soundsmith re-tips a lots of cartridges, they may be able to re-tip/re-build the MC-10. They can re-tip it with a nude hyperelliptical.
https://www.sound-smith.com/services/ca ... -retipping

billshurv
long player
long player

Post by billshurv » 21 May 2019 09:24

couldbfishin wrote:
21 May 2019 03:29

And, billsurv, if I send it for repairs and he does a good job, I will let you know. You may want to send your MC 10 Super off for repair also.
I have a repairer lined up if I decide to do it. Delta667 who posts on here has already repaired a couple of higher end Ortofons for me with superb results. I've not done the MC10 yet as I don't have a need for it at the moment. Once I have worked that out I can move forwards with it.

Geof777

Post by Geof777 » 22 May 2019 23:30

I had an Ortofon MC 10 Super many years ago and I taped a number of my records from it back then.
So I have re visited its general sound quite a bit over the years.
Thinking back memories of it were warm and musical - nicely detailed too.
Separation was not as wide as a Denon DL103S I also had around then - but countered with nice depth and detail.
While not the last word in accuracy it played music and made a very enjoyable sound - my only small
concern was it rode very low with the medium mass arm I had back then.

couldbfishin
United States of America

Re: Ortofon mc 10 Super

Post by couldbfishin » 23 May 2019 00:32

Thanks Geof777,
I will be using the Ortofon MC 10 Super on a Denon DP-45F, which I believe has a pretty low mass tone arm. The MC 10 Super was on this Denon DP-45F when I bought it about a year ago. It is my first Ortofon cartridge and I only know what I have read recently on this site.

When that 45F arrived and I tried playing LPs using my Marantz 2285B receiver, it sounded terrible. I assumed it was the cartridge. Now I know it was probably the lack of a SUT, as the Marantz doesn't have one. 63 years old and still learning about my audio equipment.

So I set the Ortofon aside thinking it was bad. I bought a used Denon DL-160 and have been using it. I want to start recording LPs onto my recently acquired Technics 1200 reel to reel. So I decided to buy a new cartridge. I bought the 301 II and bent the cantilever while installing it. I thought it was my first LOMC cartridge.

I bought a another new 301 II and I am waiting for delivery. I also bought a new Lounge Audio LCR Mk III SUT and Copla preamp which I will use with the new Denon 301 II and a Marantz 2275 that has been professionally restored.

Now that I think about it, I should try the Ortofon LOMC again, now that I have the Lounge Audio SUT. It might sound good. Duh.

I plan to try and straighten the cantilever on the 301 II tonight. I was planning to send it off for repair anyway. So, nothing to lose.

Another thought- When I bought my first Denon DP-45F it came with a Denon DL-300 cartridge. I also bought at the same time a Denon receiver (all new in about 1985). I didn't use a SUT, so I guess the Denon receiver had a preamp or SUT built into it. Wish I could remember the model of the Denon receiver so I could look it up. Anyway, that was my first MC cartridge and I didn't even know it.

I also have three B&O 5500 turntables with MMC 3 and a MMC1 cartridge on them. I only read recently that these are referred to as iron cartridges, instead of MM or MC. Don't know a thing about iron cartridges either. Need to read up on it.

Always learning new things.

Thanks again.

Geof777

Post by Geof777 » 23 May 2019 09:05

couldbfishin - Many of those earlier Denon Amps and receivers had an MC stage built in - usually a small button to press in addition to selecting Phono.
The Denon 301 and the Ortofon MC10 would have fairly different sounds, so if you have both its worth comparing to see which you like. Does the arm have a detachable headshell ? If so you could have them both mounted ready to go which I used to love being able to do.
As for straightening the cantilever - that's a very delicate operation and chances are it could break. You also risk damaging the suspension so its your call I guess.
While typing I just checked and it seems you would have a detachable Headshell - additional ones are available online. You could set one of the carts up and record a few well known tracks then pop the other one in and do the same - then sit back and listen to the recordings closely to see which you like better - I know its not listening direct but it is informative and you are in fact planning to record some records so it is appropriate.

couldbfishin
United States of America

Post by couldbfishin » 23 May 2019 15:45

Geof777
Good advice on my trying to straighten my cantilever on the new Denon DL-301 II. I have decided to not attempt it and to send it off for repair as is. The guy quoted $180 for replacement of the cantilever and diamond stylus with some Japanese built that are very similar. I thought $180 is a pretty fair price for opening the cartridge to look for damage, and replacing the stylus and cantilever.

After that repair, and assuming he does a good job, I plan to send other cartridges in for repair. Other Denons (300, 110, and 160), B&O MMC 3's and a MMC1, and possibly this Ortofon MC 10 Super, if it needs repair. He told me the MMC3 should cost about $80, and that is a whole lot less expensive than SoundSmith.

thanks again for your sound advice (no pun intended).

Geof777

Post by Geof777 » 24 May 2019 09:03

couldbfishin - Good luck with it all then, sounds like you will have some options open to you once you have done all that
It is highly likely you may find preferences for different cartridges in different situations.
My Last Cartridge was definitely biased towards smaller group Jazz but sounded fine with other stuff.
If I had the luxury of a detachable headshell I would leave it mounted ready to go. :D

couldbfishin
United States of America

Post by couldbfishin » 25 May 2019 23:01

Geof777 and anyone else who wants to answer.

Question- I want some spare headshells for my Denon DP45F turntables. I use the stock arms. Should I look for Denon brand headshells or do aftermarket headshells work as well?

Thanks for your advice.

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 26 May 2019 01:58

Give LP Gear or Turntable Needles a call for spare head shells.

Geof777

Post by Geof777 » 26 May 2019 08:56

Also see if you can see any personal reviews, while the Denon Headshell would be fine some others may also be fine or even better.
Depending on how exacting you want to be - nowadays if I got an arm with detachable headshell I would want matching headshells for my various cartridges... I would also want to try to find which I thought was best (so possibly not a bad thing I am limited to a fixed headshell LOL)