Shure N 44-7 stylus options

the thin end of the wedge
poor_fricky

Shure N 44-7 stylus options

Post by poor_fricky » 17 May 2019 05:46

So, I have a Shure N44-7 cartridge. AT LP-120.

As you all know, Shure stopped selling turntable products.

There are options to replace the stylus on eBay...

I just got a TEI Diamond stylus on there for 15$.

This one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HIGH-QUALI ... ctupt=true

But today I was watching videos of people talking about how great the JICO replacement is, which is this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/JICO-Record-Ne ... SwKLxbbE4o

There are conflicting opinions on reviews I've read or watched. Would you say these are about the same quality? The price is about 30$ off. I just want to know if I'm doing harm to my records. The TEI says it's made in Colombia and the JICOs are Japan..

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Solist
Slovenia

Re: Shure N 44-7 stylus options

Post by Solist » 17 May 2019 10:59

I would avoid buying from ebay, mainly because you have no guarantee to get what you are paying for.

There has been enough posts about the stylus being marked as a fine elliptical and after inspection it turned out to be a normal elliptical.

There are a number of sellers: Thakker, LP gear, needle doctor and so on, which are a safer option.

Regarding the manufacturer, I had the original Jico, ordered directly from Japan and it sounded nice after the break in period. Could not compare it directly to the original since I had the Shure m75mg which has a spherical stylus. The Jico was an elliptical. Also if you order from Japan you will have to add the import duties etc, which will make even an elliptical/spherical expensive.

Go with a reputable seller, and maybe try a couple of different styluses too see what sounds best.

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 17 May 2019 13:37

Solist wrote:
17 May 2019 10:59
I would avoid buying from ebay, mainly because you have no guarantee to get what you are paying for.
Actually you do. It says so on every eBay listing:
Screen Shot 2019-05-17 at 08.35.13.png
(36.52 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
https://pages.ebay.com/ebay-money-back-guarantee/

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 17 May 2019 13:41

poor_fricky wrote:
17 May 2019 05:46
There are conflicting opinions on reviews I've read or watched. Would you say these are about the same quality? The price is about 30$ off. I just want to know if I'm doing harm to my records. The TEI says it's made in Colombia and the JICOs are Japan..
The TEI will not harm your records in any way, so long as it's not defective and you haven't set it up improperly (e.g. using the wrong tracking force or antiskating settings). I have one and the quality is actually pretty good. I wouldn't say it's quite as good as the JICO, but it's better than Pfanstiehl and EVG, and in my opinion it's 99% as good as my original genuine Shure N44-7. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

poor_fricky

Post by poor_fricky » 17 May 2019 16:48

BMRR wrote:
17 May 2019 13:41
poor_fricky wrote:
17 May 2019 05:46
The TEI will not harm your records in any way, so long as it's not defective and you haven't set it up improperly (e.g. using the wrong tracking force or antiskating settings). I have one and the quality is actually pretty good. I wouldn't say it's quite as good as the JICO, but it's better than Pfanstiehl and EVG, and in my opinion it's 99% as good as my original genuine Shure N44-7. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Thank you so much

Nigel Gomez
Trinidad & Tobago

Post by Nigel Gomez » 17 May 2019 22:51

I use a JICO M55 E replacement stylus for that cartridge on my Technics SL 210.

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 18 May 2019 21:13

Being a new user of those Shure 44-7's to DJ out with, ex 'White Label' user I am, I have tested them 44-7 used OEM; those that came with the second hand cartridges I bought, a standard Jico replacement stylus and Jico 'DJ' replacement one. Both Jico's purchased from Thakker. So apparently Jico made for the "aftermarket"...

And we have tested them all on the same system in a bar with the owner of the place and even a customer once. Unanimously the DJ got the favor of us all. Requiring higher VTF, but manage to push on the VTF of the "standard" to 2.5g. and the lowest VTF @ 3g. on the "DJ" to meet on "evenly" VTF for whatever that's worth.

The lower compliance supsension of the 'DJ' version seem to benefit better the 44-7 cartridge. We would say we found a much better focus and separation, a more natural/real renditon of the accoustics that where sometime even unheard before with the 'standard' cartridge before. Higher VTF also provide us with a better tracking evidently.

So for an affordable stylus replacement, I have my new DJ cartridge that really does well the trick. I might be very sensitive, but I've always favored the rendition of higher VTF and evidently favor lower compliant cartridges that this very "musical" cartridge offer me to DJ out with. Since I've converted 2 ex Ortofon users with them 44-7's... ;)

mamakasou
Greece

Post by mamakasou » 19 May 2019 11:50

Shure M44-7 is a cartridge with a special sound to it.
I like it and prefer it to the Shure M97xE, Shure SC35C or Shure M92E.

JICO has two stylus options for it.
One is the 'DJ/improved' version with a higher suggested VTF of 3.5-4.5g.
The other is looking like the older original (non-'improved') with a suggested VTF of 1.5-3.0g.
I haven't tried either, but I am very tempted to try both.

The original (improved) stylus I use has a nice sound to my ears, but I'd like to try out the JICO offerings.
Problem is that they aren't cheap. Especially after tax/customs to the EU.

lbls1
United States of America

Post by lbls1 » 19 May 2019 15:13

I picked up an authentic Shure N44-7 late last year, and this was/is an excellent stylus. I would think that the JICO would come close to Shure's specs.

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 19 May 2019 16:19

lbls1 wrote:
19 May 2019 15:13
I picked up an authentic Shure N44-7 late last year, and this was/is an excellent stylus. I would think that the JICO would come close to Shure's specs.
The Jico N44-7 'standard' replacement sound indeed close as in similar to the OEM as far as I've heard. But the Jico 'DJ' N44-7 bring them M 44-7's cartridges up to another stage.