Shure V15 Type-3 needle having issues with EQ Spectrum analyzer

the thin end of the wedge
BenRothman01

Shure V15 Type-3 needle having issues with EQ Spectrum analyzer

Post by BenRothman01 » 16 May 2019 15:10

Hello everyone I have a dual 1229Q with a Shure V15 Type-3 cartridge. I also have a AudioSource series 8 graphich equalizer that has a graphic analyzer on it (I will attach pictures of what the EQ and the analyzer look like) Last night When playing a record I noticed that the spectrum analyzer was barely lighting up, the record still sounded fine. When I switched to other inputs such as a cd player and the radio, the spectrum analyzer was lighting up as it should be. I did notice that the needle was bent and I could notice a crease in the canteliver where it was bent. I made sure the needle was pushed into the cartride all the way as I have had an issue before where the needle was not pushed in all the way, and because of that the spectrum analyzer was not lighting up properly. When I took the needle out of cartridge the canteliever simply fell out. I tried putting it back in and now records sounds like crap. I ordered a new Jico needle and it will be coming later today. I just want to make sure that the reason the graphic equalizer was not lighting up properly was because of the needle. The needle had been slightly bent for a while, but still sounded great and the spectrum analyzer lit up normally. I'm guessing that over time the bend got worse and worse. I used my turntable two days ago and everything was fine with the spectrum analyzer. Would this be normal that the spectrum analyzer would be barely lighting up because of the bent needle? I'm going to attach some images of what the eq I have looks like with the spectrum analyzer all lit up from the interent. What i'm wondering is that was my needle at fault or is it my cartridge?

(spectrum analyzer lit up)
390R4h8.jpg
(61.77 KiB) Downloaded 39 times

(Another picture of the analyzer slightly less litup)
maxresdefault.jpg
(62.65 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
(Whole EQ)

NewOldVinyl

Re: Shure V15 Type-3 needle having issues with EQ Spectrum analyzer

Post by NewOldVinyl » 16 May 2019 18:00

Based on your description, that stylus is toast. If the already-bent cantilever literally fell out, pushing it back in isn’t going to fix it. You need a new stylus.

BenRothman01

Post by BenRothman01 » 16 May 2019 18:51

NewOldVinyl wrote:
16 May 2019 18:00
Based on your description, that stylus is toast. If the already-bent cantilever literally fell out, pushing it back in isn’t going to fix it. You need a new stylus.
Thanks for the reply! I agree with you about needing a new stylus. I have a new Jico stylus coming in the mail today. I just wanted to make sure that the reason the the spectrum analyzer was barley lighting up was because of a bad stylus.

tcolegrove
United States of America

Post by tcolegrove » 16 May 2019 18:55

I assume the analyzer is connected to a receiver/int. amp and the turntable is also connected to it and not directly into the analyzer. I don't see how a bent cantilever would cause a spectrum analyzer to barely light up. If, however, you noticed a significant decrease in sound when using the turntable - THEN - it could be the cause. The analyzer will only display the signal levels put into it.

BenRothman01

Post by BenRothman01 » 16 May 2019 19:09

tcolegrove wrote:
16 May 2019 18:55
I assume the analyzer is connected to a receiver/int. amp and the turntable is also connected to it and not directly into the analyzer. I don't see how a bent cantilever would cause a spectrum analyzer to barely light up. If, however, you noticed a significant decrease in sound when using the turntable - THEN - it could be the cause. The analyzer will only display the signal levels put into it.
I agree with you 100% my guess is that because the cantilever was not securely in place causing the EQ to not be able to light up because it couldn’t read the sound very well. I think my idea of why is a total shot in the dark. I know my brand new Jico needle is coming in the mail today, hopefully it will have already been delivered when I get home.