Bent cantilever on new Denon DL301 Mk II

the thin end of the wedge
couldbfishin
United States of America

Bent cantilever on new Denon DL301 Mk II

Post by couldbfishin » 16 May 2019 02:00

I did the ultimate foolish thing. I bent the cantilever on my brand new Denon DL 301 MkII cartridge while using the hangover or stand off tool furnished with the cartridge.
To further the frustration, I had just received my new Lounge Audio Copla and LCR Mk III and set them up.
I tried very briefly to use the cartridge on my Denon DP45F table. I hear scratching sounds in the initial area on the LP and between the first and second song. I know the stylus is not tracking correctly and is scraping against one side of the groove or the other. The stylus may even be turned sideways in the groove. I don't know.
I understand the stylus is not replaceable on this cartridge. Is there anything I can do to straighten the cantilever and feel comfortable it is tracking correctly? Is there anyone who rebuilds these cartridges at a reasonable price. It is brand new.

Frustrated in Houston

myles

Re: Bent cantilever on new Denon DL301 Mk II

Post by myles » 16 May 2019 06:31

Speak to Dmitry (Delta997) on the Cartridge Pics thread. He will be able to advise.

jagermonster

Re: Bent cantilever on new Denon DL301 Mk II

Post by jagermonster » 16 May 2019 06:38

I recently had Soundsmith replace the cantilever on my DL-103 and was extremely happy with the results - contact line stylus and sapphire cantilever for $300. Not cheap, especially considering your recent investment, but brings the cartridge into the same spec as those costing several times more.