which of these cartridges should I use on a garrard 3000

the thin end of the wedge
scrapjack+

which of these cartridges should I use on a garrard 3000

Post by scrapjack+ » 15 May 2019 02:47

The first time I saw my garrard 3000 the tone arm was resting against the platter, so I know the cabinet had been transported without the tone arm being locked in place. This leads me to assume the needle is destroyed. I'm not sure if this giant plastic form is actually the cartridge or, if it is just a housing I haven't figured out how to open yet. It says "Tetrad G2", the needle says "T1LD". I also have the remnants of a Magnavox Micromatic that was deemed cost preventive to repair with an "Astatic Mod 195 D" cartridge that I think is somehow intact despite someone literally snapping the needle in half. Both cartridges need a new needle. I know new Astatic needles can be found for $10, and NOS G2 needles seem to be about the same. Since they are both flip over needles, I suspect they are both ceramics.

I read somewhere that cabinet record players were fine tuned to have the best sound with the stock components. I'm not sure if this is true. I intend to use the Garrard with it's original cabinet amp, but set it up so it could potentially be used with a modern amp. Should I leave the Tetrad cartridge or would the Astatic cartridge be an upgrade? It doesn't really look like the Garrard 3000 was designed to accept any other kind of cartridge. At least they made it easy to get to the cartridge unlike the Micromatics that have to be removed from their cabinets and then flipped on their side to use the shortest screwdriver.

astatic 195d.jpg
(127.16 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
tetrad g2.jpg
(151.86 KiB) Downloaded 43 times

circularvibes
long player
long player

Re: which of these cartridges should I use on a garrard 3000

Post by circularvibes » 15 May 2019 02:56

I would try the original first. The others do not look like the same mount. Also, ceramics have different voltage outputs and can overwhelm or underpower the amplifier you have. That Tetrad should be able to snap out, but try it first. It will be the easiest to find a new needle for as well. Gary at the Voice of Music site has a decent replacement. If the cartridge is in fact toast, he would be able to suggest a direct replacement.

scrapjack+

Post by scrapjack+ » 15 May 2019 03:52

circularvibes wrote:
15 May 2019 02:56
I would try the original first. The others do not look like the same mount. Also, ceramics have different voltage outputs and can overwhelm or underpower the amplifier you have. That Tetrad should be able to snap out, but try it first. It will be the easiest to find a new needle for as well. Gary at the Voice of Music site has a decent replacement. If the cartridge is in fact toast, he would be able to suggest a direct replacement.
I had thought ceramics had a standardized output. That made sense if there was a standard schematic to use them with pre-amps meant for magnetic carts. Perhaps the schematic can be tuned to the specific cartridge.
The cartridge is fine, I played 78's but I wouldn't attempt to use the 33 side.

Is there a reason to avoid NOS needles?

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 15 May 2019 04:01

I would try the LP side on a less than perfect LP first. Diamonds are pretty tough. I only avoid NOS styli when there is rubber involved. It gets harder than intended with age and displays in sunlight age them faster. The Tetrad styli usually are OK NOS, but I usually see Astatic, Electrovoice or Pfanstiehl replacements nowadays. Gary sells the Pfanstiehl 854 for your cartridge between 5 and 8 bux plus shipping. If you can find it locally, go for it. Tetrad were generally kind to LPs, at least as far as ceramic cartridges go.

scrapjack+

Post by scrapjack+ » 15 May 2019 04:27

I've read that Pfanstiehl has a lack of quality control leading to their parts being hit or miss. If I'm not certain what the original should sound like, how do I know if I got hit or miss?

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 15 May 2019 04:39

You will know if it is a miss if it sounds a lot worse than the stylus you have now. I too have read others accounts of poor styli but I think they were mostly for magnetic cartridges. I wouldn't worry in this situation. If they were that bad, Gary at The Voice Of Music wouldn't stock them. Over 40+ years of buying styli, I can only once remember returning one for a chipped LP tip. I have had some real cheapies from Woolco for 98 cents that trashed records, but not any major manufacturers. The worst I had was cheap replacements for Ronette cartridges. Others may chime in, but I think if you can find one that fits, go for it, but try the original first. As long as it didn't have pressure on it while it was flying around, there is a good chance it is OK.

smee4
long player
long player

Post by smee4 » 15 May 2019 12:43

scrapjack+ wrote:
15 May 2019 03:52

I had thought ceramics had a standardized output. That made sense if there was a standard schematic to use them with pre-amps meant for magnetic carts. Perhaps the schematic can be tuned to the specific cartridge.

No, there was a range of output voltages.

Just get a new stylus for the one you have.

scrapjack+

Post by scrapjack+ » 16 May 2019 03:16

smee4 wrote:
15 May 2019 12:43
scrapjack+ wrote:
15 May 2019 03:52

No, there was a range of output voltages.

Just get a new stylus for the one you have.
I have both, and the needle costs the same for both. I just wanted to get the most out of my $10, and my turntable.

Anyway, wasn't that Astatic screw tab screw mount pretty common back in the day? I'm fairly sure some of the tables I've personally seen from the 50's had something similar if not the same. Does it have a name? Is there an adapter I might be able to find to mount it to a universal head shell? If it's going to sit around, it might as well sit around ready to be used. I bet it's allot better than the banpa bp2atc flip over I got on a head shell.

If I grabbed a head shell connector and just built a holder for the Astatic, would the extra 1/2 inch in length(expected estimate) significantly mess up the tone arm geometry on a typical player with a S tone arm, or could I just use a standard alignment chart and expect proper playback.

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 16 May 2019 03:36

I would hold onto the Astatic for the time you need that kind of mount. It screwed into the arm. As to the Chinese cart you bought, it would be an appropriate replacement for Crosley type machines that came with only an LP tip. If you go to https://www.canadianastatic.com/ and look up their catalogue online, it might give you more info on the cartridge and many others of older vintages.