Cart Mounting/Alignment on Philips 312

the thin end of the wedge
copperchicago
United States of America

Cart Mounting/Alignment on Philips 312

Post by copperchicago » 15 May 2019 00:08

Hello all: I just ordered a Grado Green2 for the Philips 312. Purchased the TT secondhand, so the originally supplied mounting kit and jig are missing. The jig allowed for precise alignment when mounting the cart to the headshell carrier, presumably sidestepping use of the protractor. I've ordered a protractor expecting to have to do this manually, but height and horizontal alignment could be difficult.
Two questions: does anyone know where I might find the jig for sale (one on Ebay today for $99!...more than I paid for the TT!); OR any installation tips for a newby trying to achieve precision and the best results?
Thanks in advance!

Snead
United States of America

Re: Cart Mounting/Alignment on Philips 312

Post by Snead » 15 May 2019 02:27

Heh, well you used the word 'precision' which belongs no-where in the same sentence with the words 'Philips 312'. It'a table that has its' virtues, like compact size and fab good looks, but the arm and its' bearings are crude n' sloppy. I mean like straight outta Fisher-Price crude. At least the sample I had was.

So, I'd say get a copy of the Owners and service manuals for general reference and use a custom alignment as best you can and call it good.

copperchicago
United States of America

Post by copperchicago » 15 May 2019 02:55

Thanks!

Peter Smart

Post by Peter Smart » 15 May 2019 20:38

I am of the opposite opinion. The Philips GA 213 is of high quality in all ways. It can be very good given a good needle, and it is nothing wrong with the arm. It was a big sucsess in the 70's. Some compare it with the Thorens TD 160.

copperchicago
United States of America

Post by copperchicago » 15 May 2019 21:01

Thanks, I like it too.
I found a replacement jig to align the cartridge to the headshell, AND am getting the protractor to verify alignment, so I'll let you know how it goes.