point 7 thou stylus,any in production that track 3 grams or under..

the thin end of the wedge
BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: point 7 thou stylus,any in production that track 3 grams or under..

Post by BMRR » 06 Apr 2019 16:18

goatbreath wrote:
26 Mar 2019 12:49
The Shure M 44 7 did,but styli are getting expensive..
Wish I had stocked up before that..
Not the most refined cartridge,but great for 45 rpm and some Monos..
Most of the replacements seem to be point 6 is the problem..
I am already running 2 cartridges with point six styli..
A Shure M75 and a AT91,both are great by the way..
The 7 thou seems to be it's own thing..
Another option for a lighter tracking .7mil cartridge, perhaps a bit unconventional but still worth considering, is the Audio-Technica AT3482P. This is a P-mount cartridge, but it can be used in a standard tonearm with a simple adapter.

Audio-Technica discontinued it last year but it's still widely available and inexpensive.

The tracking force range is 1.0 to 1.5g but you can run it at 1.75g without any trouble.

lastninja

Post by lastninja » 02 Dec 2019 11:16

tlscapital wrote:
26 Mar 2019 22:12
Well that is why now I go for the N44-7 'Club' or 'DJ' whose stylus is of lower compliance than the "regular" N 44-7 for the same money. These Jico replacement 'DJ' stylus on the Shure M 44-7 cartridges, we (not alone judging so) prefer much better. Dishes a deeper presentation, tighter and profounder bass with still enough highs showing through.
Why did you like the DJ/Club version over the vanilla/regular Jico? Did you try turning the tracking force on the regular Jico up to 3.5-4.5? Did it end up being the same as the 'DJ/Club' versions?

I also don't want to go over 3g force so was thinking of Tonar 267 or Jico 'vanilla' N44-7, but I worry that the vanilla don't work right. Otherwise, if the vanilla worked as good as the Shure N447 for scratching and everything else at 2.5-3g tracking, why would they ever need to produce a 3.5-4.5g model..?

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 02 Dec 2019 16:15

lastninja wrote:
02 Dec 2019 11:16
tlscapital wrote:
26 Mar 2019 22:12
Well that is why now I go for the N44-7 'Club' or 'DJ' whose stylus is of lower compliance than the "regular" N 44-7 for the same money. These Jico replacement 'DJ' stylus on the Shure M 44-7 cartridges, we (not alone judging so) prefer much better. Dishes a deeper presentation, tighter and profounder bass with still enough highs showing through.
Why did you like the DJ/Club version over the vanilla/regular Jico? Did you try turning the tracking force on the regular Jico up to 3.5-4.5? Did it end up being the same as the 'DJ/Club' versions?

I also don't want to go over 3g force so was thinking of Tonar 267 or Jico 'vanilla' N44-7, but I worry that the vanilla don't work right. Otherwise, if the vanilla worked as good as the Shure N447 for scratching and everything else at 2.5-3g tracking, why would they ever need to produce a 3.5-4.5g model..?
Here above in thick I believe to have explain why I prefer the 'DJ/Club' versions. I've never owned a 'regular' Jico N44-7replacement stylus so can't speak for those 'Vanilla' Jico replacement styluses but I've had a genuine Shure, Thakker both general and 'DJ' versions (made in Japan they say) and real/genuine Jico 'DJ/Club' replacement styluses for my Shure M44-7 cartridges and those last found my 'subjective) preference. Even with the VTF set at 3 grams for every one of them.

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 02 Dec 2019 18:58

I'm curious to know if any of you have tried the N44 styli from Chuo Denshi (also known as Chuden). I haven't tried them yet. They appear to be well made and they have soldered tension wires.

Chuden N44G: https://www.ebay.com/itm/EMJ-Conical-St ... 3871500092

Chuden N44-7: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3968201519

According to those listings, the recommended VTF for the N44G is 2 to 2.5g and the recommended VTF for the N44-7 is 2.5g to 4g.

(Note that these are claimed to have .6mil diamonds, not .7mil like the original subject of this thread)

Collux
Australia

Post by Collux » 02 Dec 2019 23:21

from the Links

※CHUDEN(independent company of CHUO Denshi) is one of the most largest phono cartridge makers in Japan known as OEM vendor for DENON, TEAC, AKAI, ION, Numark, Vestax etc.

It would be interesting to view a styli catalogue if one is available.

Collux
Australia

Post by Collux » 03 Dec 2019 02:45

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 03 Dec 2019 10:01

BMRR wrote:
02 Dec 2019 18:58
I'm curious to know if any of you have tried the N44 styli from Chuo Denshi (also known as Chuden). I haven't tried them yet. They appear to be well made and they have soldered tension wires.

(Note that these are claimed to have .6mil diamonds, not .7mil like the original subject of this thread)
Thanks for this lead. Interesting indeed. A trial in comparison will tell it all quickly. I am tempted to purchase one someday. But as you pointed out the stylus is thiner than the Thakker's and other brands (whatever some seem to claim) and that on it's own shouldn't suit as good my sixties and seventies 7" MONO groove.