Distortion

the thin end of the wedge
Cseeley

Distortion

Post by Cseeley » 23 Feb 2019 18:03

I am setting up a new (to me) Technics SL-D2 with an Audia Technica cartridge. I have watched the videos on how to balance the tone arm and set the tracking force. I have printed out the alignment protractor and I believe the cartridge is straight. I am still getting distortion and it's just not playing the albums so that you can hear the music. It's tracking well and I've checked to make sure it's not the speakers. Can you think of anything I haven't checked? I would rather not purchase a new cartridge at this time if I don't have to. Should I just keep trying to adjust the tracking force? I'm getting a bit frustrated.

Spinner45
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Distortion

Post by Spinner45 » 23 Feb 2019 19:06

Without knowing what amplifier you're using, it's impossible to troubleshoot things.
Because there could be an issue with the phono input on the amp itself.
While the internet is a wonderful thing, it's not the answer to many questions.

lenjack

Post by lenjack » 23 Feb 2019 23:53

If you can't hear the music, how do you know you're getting distortion? Just what are you hearing. What is your turntable connected to?

Cseeley

Post by Cseeley » 24 Feb 2019 00:05

I hear the music intermittently and like it’s at the bottom of a barrel. I’m using a Sony receiver.

lenjack

Post by lenjack » 24 Feb 2019 00:20

Does your receiver have a phono input? If it does, is your turntable connected to this phono input? If the receiver does not have a phono input, you will need to get yourself a separate phono preamp, which will connect between the turntable and the aux input of the receiver.

If the sound is intermittent, there is a good chance that one of your connections is not good.

analogaudio
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by analogaudio » 24 Feb 2019 01:01

There are several possible causes for distortion, and the process of finding the culprit(s) can be approached by a process of elimination. Because the stylus wears and a worn stylus can cause distortion, and because discs wear and can be damaged by playing with a worn stylus, it is often a good way to begin the elimination process using a new (not used) LP and a new stylus, or at least one for which the amount of playing time is known. Typical stylus life for a good diamond is around 1000 LP sides.

lenjack

Post by lenjack » 24 Feb 2019 01:05

Forgot to ask, if your stylus is new.

Spinner45
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Spinner45 » 24 Feb 2019 01:07

Cseeley wrote:
24 Feb 2019 00:05
I hear the music intermittently and like it’s at the bottom of a barrel. I’m using a Sony receiver.
Sony made thousands of receivers.
All with different features.
Model?

Cseeley

Post by Cseeley » 24 Feb 2019 01:48

My receiver does have a phono input. There are two wires coming from the turntable. One I was told was a ground wire (which I've attached to a screw on the receiver) and the standard white and red ended wires which plug into the color coordinated inputs on the receiver in the area marked phono. All of the connections seem good and there's no loose wires. How would I check to see if the cables are bad?

Cseeley

Post by Cseeley » 24 Feb 2019 01:51

STRAV 47is the model of the receiver. The stylus was in the cartridge when I bought it and I don't know the age. I think replacing the stylus might be a good idea. Even if it's not the cause, it is probably a good idea.

lenjack

Post by lenjack » 24 Feb 2019 03:44

It seems you've connected properly. Jiggle the cables to see if anything changes. If it does, one or more of the cables is bad.

Cseeley

Post by Cseeley » 24 Feb 2019 03:48

I’ll try that. Do you think the tracking force could be causing the problem?

lenjack

Post by lenjack » 24 Feb 2019 03:59

Yes, if it's too low. Go here to download the manual for your turntable, if you already haven't done so, to get the details on setting the tracking force. https://www.vinylengine.com/library/tec ... l-d2.shtml Tracking force should be set with antiskate set at zero. Set antiskate after that. First however, try the jiggling of the cables, to see if that pinpoints the problem.

I'm signing off, and will check back tomorrow. Good luck. :) 8)