Re: Pro-ject phono box MM

Post by sliceofhogan » 19 Feb 2019 13:48

Here are my insides ;)
Tube Box DS
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/p5fJu ... 13-h950-no

DS+
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/tLrwQ ... 46-h950-no

On the box: "Design principle inspired by Dr. Sykora"
Both boxes look good inside, i would say. Just opened them to replace the earth-connector for a banana-plug type for comfort ;)

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 20 Feb 2019 10:18

raphaelmabo wrote:
19 Feb 2019 10:30
Entry level phono preamps are primarly made for amplifiers without an integrated phono stage, they are seldom able to be upgrades to built in phono stages. They are too inexpensive for that. Mofi Studiophono or something like that, is a better choice. But I would say it is an overkill for your AT-91 cartridge.

Now, your AT91 has an output of 3.5 mV. An Ortofon 2M Red has an output of 5.5 mV. So this would probably cure your problem and be a better match to the phono stage inside your Pioneer.
Thanks for the information. But it is also not logical to spend the same money for a small box like phono preamp like you gave for the whole amp. My logic of investment of materials is that phono stage in amp for 170 EUR new costs few cents in production and separate phono amp for 50 eur costs at least 10-15 eur. And there have to be some differency in quality of sound reproduction. I was also using Shure M44-7 on this amplifier, sound was more powerful but at the end also not satisfactory enough. So more output of cart is not the final solution.

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 22 Feb 2019 09:36

At the end I have ordered Pro-ject Phono box E for less than 50 eur and yesterday I got it. The result: Did it improve the volume of the sound? Yes, but not very much if wee see at technical level. But the sound itself is more roomy, when you are listening you become pulled into the music. The integrated phono stage has more flat and sterile sound with some hiss. Pro-ject is producing very natural sound and on music with classic instruments I can hear a lot of things which were before not there. So I am satisfied with it. Now I will only revive old Excel cartridge with new elliptical stylus and this will be enough for me and for my room.

Boltman92124

Post by Boltman92124 » 22 Feb 2019 22:24

The Schiit Mani has lots of gain choices and a moving coil stage. For $129! I know some people don't like it though because of an RFI issue. Still, great value.
https://www.schiit.com/products/mani

E.Man
long player
long player
Australia

Post by E.Man » 23 Feb 2019 06:12

Vinylfreak86 wrote:
22 Feb 2019 09:36
At the end I have ordered Pro-ject Phono box E for less than 50 eur and yesterday I got it. The result: Did it improve the volume of the sound? Yes, but not very much if wee see at technical level. But the sound itself is more roomy, when you are listening you become pulled into the music. The integrated phono stage has more flat and sterile sound with some hiss. Pro-ject is producing very natural sound and on music with classic instruments I can hear a lot of things which were before not there. So I am satisfied with it. Now I will only revive old Excel cartridge with new elliptical stylus and this will be enough for me and for my room.
If you like the sound of the Pro-Ject but want more functions like a gain increase there are many models in the Pro-ject range.