Thakker Shure aftermarket

the thin end of the wedge
ciaoflyer
member
member
Posts: 109
Joined: 10 Jan 2008 21:13
Location: Lutterworth

Thakker Shure aftermarket

Post by ciaoflyer » 14 Feb 2019 16:50

Hi, these turned up from Thakker Germany today and look to be very good quality however, packaging says JICO does this mean it has been made by JICO. Cheers!
Attachments
BA056F76-2F1B-4A7C-809C-FA0ACFCB80AC.jpeg
(322.78 KiB) Downloaded 266 times

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America
Posts: 5294
Joined: 23 Aug 2013 03:48
Location: Maine, USA

Re: Thakker Shure aftermarket

Post by BMRR » 14 Feb 2019 18:10

Look at the end of the brass tube that inserts into the cartridge. If there is a small dot of silver solder, the stylus is probably a JICO.

bernard1
senior member
senior member
France
Posts: 408
Joined: 26 Aug 2016 19:06

Re: Thakker Shure aftermarket

Post by bernard1 » 14 Feb 2019 18:11

ciaoflyer wrote:
14 Feb 2019 16:50
Hi, these turned up from Thakker Germany today and look to be very good quality however, packaging says JICO does this mean it has been made by JICO. Cheers!
Thakker would not mark Jico on the box if it was not made by Jico. Just my opinion.
As said in another post, Thakker doesn't mention anymore Jico on their sire but Thakker Japan instead, which stands for Jico.
By the way, are there other styli manufacturers in Japan ?

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America
Posts: 5294
Joined: 23 Aug 2013 03:48
Location: Maine, USA

Re: Thakker Shure aftermarket

Post by BMRR » 14 Feb 2019 18:15

That may be true; however, it's always important to remember the difference between a stylus that was manufactured by JICO for another brand vs. a JICO stylus sold by JICO. When they make styli for their own brand, they include tension wires where applicable. They do not include tension wires in the styli they make for other brands.

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America
Posts: 5294
Joined: 23 Aug 2013 03:48
Location: Maine, USA

Re: Thakker Shure aftermarket

Post by BMRR » 14 Feb 2019 18:18

bernard1 wrote:
14 Feb 2019 18:11
By the way, are there other styli manufacturers in Japan ?
Yes. Two that I am aware of are Nagaoka and Chuo Denshi. Both of these companies sell styli under their own brands, as well as manufacturing styli for other brands. This is where it can get confusing because a company might say that their styli are from Japan and most people assume that means JICO, but that is not necessarily true.

ciaoflyer
member
member
Posts: 109
Joined: 10 Jan 2008 21:13
Location: Lutterworth

Re: Thakker Shure aftermarket

Post by ciaoflyer » 14 Feb 2019 18:34

BMRR wrote:
14 Feb 2019 18:10
Look at the end of the brass tube that inserts into the cartridge. If there is a small dot of silver solder, the stylus is probably a JICO.
No solder in brass tube

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America
Posts: 5294
Joined: 23 Aug 2013 03:48
Location: Maine, USA

Re: Thakker Shure aftermarket

Post by BMRR » 14 Feb 2019 19:48

OK. It's still possible that the stylus was manufactured by JICO but it won't sound or perform quite the same as the styli JICO sell under their own brand name.

In my opinion it is a bit misleading for merchants to put the JICO name on styli such as these. It gives the impression that you're getting the same stylus sold on the JICO web site and that is not the case.

That may be why merchants such as Thakker no longer mention JICO on their web site and instead they use "Thakker Japan" — but they may have styli in their inventory that still have JICO on the label, like yours does.

ciaoflyer
member
member
Posts: 109
Joined: 10 Jan 2008 21:13
Location: Lutterworth

Re: Thakker Shure aftermarket

Post by ciaoflyer » 14 Feb 2019 20:28

BMRR wrote:
14 Feb 2019 19:48
OK. It's still possible that the stylus was manufactured by JICO but it won't sound or perform quite the same as the styli JICO sell under their own brand name.

In my opinion it is a bit misleading for merchants to put the JICO name on styli such as these. It gives the impression that you're getting the same stylus sold on the JICO web site and that is not the case.

That may be why merchants such as Thakker no longer mention JICO on their web site and instead they use "Thakker Japan" — but they may have styli in their inventory that still have JICO on the label, like yours does.
Thanks for Help I bought these because I have heard good stuff about Thakker so will test out. I have bought from uk stockist before and they are terrible quality and tracks really badly, these from Thakker look so much better in quality just got to fit and test.

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America
Posts: 5294
Joined: 23 Aug 2013 03:48
Location: Maine, USA

Re: Thakker Shure aftermarket

Post by BMRR » 14 Feb 2019 20:29

Best of luck! Let us know how they perform.

goatbreath
long player
long player
Posts: 2234
Joined: 17 Mar 2010 17:54
Location: edinburgh

Re: Thakker Shure aftermarket

Post by goatbreath » 14 Feb 2019 22:32

These are the ones I use..The M75 6 s and M75 ed ones..
Made by Jico,but no tie wire..The ED tracks best around 1.75 grams..3x7 tip.
The 6 s is a 6 s Spherical tracking around 2.75 grams.

I find them to be really good,both pass track 3 on the Hifi News disc..

I'm using the M75 6s on a Dual 1226,the M75 ed on a Hadcock GH 220 ss arm.

ciaoflyer
member
member
Posts: 109
Joined: 10 Jan 2008 21:13
Location: Lutterworth

Re: Thakker Shure aftermarket

Post by ciaoflyer » 15 Feb 2019 19:38

goatbreath wrote:
14 Feb 2019 22:32
These are the ones I use..The M75 6 s and M75 ed ones..
Made by Jico,but no tie wire..The ED tracks best around 1.75 grams..3x7 tip.
The 6 s is a 6 s Spherical tracking around 2.75 grams.

I find them to be really good,both pass track 3 on the Hifi News disc..

I'm using the M75 6s on a Dual 1226,the M75 ed on a Hadcock GH 220 ss arm.
Many thanks, I am looking forward to testing it tomorrow!

wolfie62
senior member
senior member
United States of America
Posts: 802
Joined: 04 Jan 2017 16:47
Location: Birmingham

Re: Thakker Shure aftermarket

Post by wolfie62 » 15 Feb 2019 20:35

By the way, the tension wire used by Shure on most of their styli is very important!

That tension wire is used for 2 major purposes: it tames resonances and keeps the bass response from blooming out of control, and helps the treble response by extending it out further and flatter. Second, it keeps the cantilever in place from being gradually pulled out of the brass shank by the vibrations and pull of the stylus in the record groove.

Most all aftermarket Shure styli don’t have a tension wire, to keep costs down. The fact that Jico includes it is a very strong testimony to Jico’s attention to detail when the reverse engineer a stylus!

Most aftermarket styli builders have adopted an “If it fits they’ll buy it!” attitude.

ciaoflyer
member
member
Posts: 109
Joined: 10 Jan 2008 21:13
Location: Lutterworth

Re: Thakker Shure aftermarket

Post by ciaoflyer » 17 Feb 2019 11:49

Well all I can say is they sound amazing for the price and are made by JICO. Best aftermarket I have used! Tracking is flawless at both upper and lower weight settings but sounds best around 2.5/2.75. In future will get one with tie wire and compare! Thanks all!

goatbreath
long player
long player
Posts: 2234
Joined: 17 Mar 2010 17:54
Location: edinburgh

Re: Thakker Shure aftermarket

Post by goatbreath » 17 Feb 2019 15:24

Glad it's working out for you.. :)

ciaoflyer
member
member
Posts: 109
Joined: 10 Jan 2008 21:13
Location: Lutterworth

Re: Thakker Shure aftermarket

Post by ciaoflyer » 18 Feb 2019 10:58

Looking good.....
Attachments
E3173427-4F24-4048-A5AF-52ACCAB5DF00.jpeg
(194.34 KiB) Downloaded 88 times

Post Reply